Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals., I'm thinking of buying a Maverick. I have a question about the EcoBoost engine. I've read reviews all over the board on it. I've heard it overheats, has issues with coolant intrusion, and won't last. I've also heard the newer version corrected those issues. I'm not sure what to think. What is your opinion of the baseline 2.0 ecoboost engine without the tow package?
Does the tow package add any longevity to the engine?
-tow package adds:
transmission oil cooler
upgraded cooling fan
higher capacity radiator

I don't plan on towing and I'm not concerned with my 0-60 times. I just want this truck to be handy and reliable. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Towing package just adds some extra cooling capacity. No increase in reliability. I have done a bit of research on both available Maverick engines and would lean towards the 2.5 for these reasons: Mazda designed (Japanese design good 4 cyl engines, US, not so much). Multiport fuel injection ( Simpler and more reliable than Direct injection, No intake valve carbon buildup). No turbo chargers( High failure rate on high mileage vehicles).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Towing package just adds some extra cooling capacity. No increase in reliability. I have done a bit of research on both available Maverick engines and would lean towards the 2.5 for these reasons: Mazda designed (Japanese design good 4 cyl engines, US, not so much). Multiport fuel injection ( Simpler and more reliable than Direct injection, No intake valve carbon buildup). No turbo chargers( High failure rate on high mileage vehicles).
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The tow package included both upgraded oil and transmission coolers. I will most definitely increase reliability. The Mazda engines from the latest models have been very hit or miss with reliability from the factory and they are suffering from their own issues regarding low oil pressure, significant carbon buildup, rough idling and missfires. I wish all japanese brands were equal in quality but mazda is definitely not up there compared to honda or toyota on design and engineering in some cases as it used to be. All car brands in fact are suffering from issues in design flaws and quality due to the changes in the market and production. Other brands are still using 0W20 oil in turbo engines to improve engine efficiency and it blows by piston rings and burns on brand new engines. Ford has opted for 5W30 from the factory to support the engine reliability at the cost of engine efficeincy. Turbocharged engines like any engine are dependent on essential maintenance to determine their longevity.

I have the ecoboost maverick and from my own research there were issued with the previous generation in certain models which have now been resolved through the redesign for the 2021-2022 years. Only time will tell on its real world reliability but if i get 10 years or more out of it and 400,000km like every other car ive owned so far then its a win in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tow package included both upgraded oil and transmission coolers. I will most definitely increase reliability. The Mazda engines from the latest models have been very hit or miss with reliability from the factory and they are suffering from their own issues regarding low oil pressure, significant carbon buildup, rough idling and missfires. I wish all japanese brands were equal in quality but mazda is definitely not up there compared to honda or toyota on design and engineering in some cases as it used to be. All car brands in fact are suffering from issues in design flaws and quality due to the changes in the market and production. Other brands are still using 0W20 oil in turbo engines to improve engine efficiency and it blows by piston rings and burns on brand new engines. Ford has opted for 5W30 from the factory to support the engine reliability at the cost of engine efficeincy. Turbocharged engines like any engine are dependent on essential maintenance to determine their longevity.

I have the ecoboost maverick and from my own research there were issued with the previous generation in certain models which have now been resolved through the redesign for the 2021-2022 years. Only time will tell on its real world reliability but if i get 10 years or more out of it and 400,000km like every other car ive owned so far then its a win in my book.
It doesn't seem like I'll be getting one anytime soon, but when I do I want it to last. I'd much rather have dependability over performance to a point. Not saying I want my old early 90's Jeep Cherokee back. I remember barely making it up hills/inclines. From all the research I've done it seems like people that are really pushing the limits of towing/off road/drag racing might have issues, but wondering about the people that live a more conservative life lol
Should I hold out for a different engine? Or a different car maker to catch up to this market?

·
Registered
166 Posts

The trouble Mazda is having is related to their latest direct injected Skyactiv and not related to the MPFI one used in the Maverick. While all the Japanese manufacturers occasionally have engine issues, their reputation as superior four cylinder engine builders is well deserved. North American manufacturers occasionally make a good four cylinder engine and perhaps the latest 2.0 turbo is. One friend of mine is a Ford technician with about 45 years experience and another friend is owner of an auto service business that sees mostly old high mileage vehicles and both had high praise for the 2.5 NA Ford engine and not so much for the 2.0 turbo or any of the ecoboost family for that matter. They both mentioned the importance of more frequent than recommended oil changes to ensure turbo reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trouble Mazda is having is related to their latest direct injected Skyactiv and not related to the MPFI one used in the Maverick. While all the Japanese manufacturers occasionally have engine issues, their reputation as superior four cylinder engine builders is well deserved. North American manufacturers occasionally make a good four cylinder engine and perhaps the latest 2.0 turbo is. One friend of mine is a Ford technician with about 45 years experience and another friend is owner of an auto service business that sees mostly old high mileage vehicles and both had high praise for the 2.5 NA Ford engine and not so much for the 2.0 turbo or any of the ecoboost family for that matter. They both mentioned the importance of more frequent than recommended oil changes to ensure turbo reliability.
So far I'm not deterred from getting the 2.0 eco. Seems like the one constant from everyone is how important those oil changes are. Unless I get a lemon, I'm assuming that taking good care of the truck will more than likely help it last as long as I want it to. Fingers crossed.
ty all for the comments. I have been on the fence about the engine and whether or not I need AWD. mainly about that engine. I can prob deal with KY snow in a FWD just fine.
I do miss my subaru impereza in the snow. man that was a blast.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As someone with family working for Toyota and Honda and North American auto companies and a friend who works for Mazda. I have seen all sides of the story. They have all told me the same thing. The current iterations of Japanese engines are not where the should be in reliability. And for some North American cars( including fords) there are specific engine models which have not been implemented correctly My father who has over 50 years of experience as a master technician agrees that maintenance is the only real determinant for reliability. Lemons are an exception to the rule and that is few and far between. At then end of the day people need to understand what they are buying and most people don’t. A turbo engine cannot be treated like an NA and simply put there are more moving parts. What does define the difference between brands is the tolerance of abuse on parts which does come down to engineering or “over engineering of critical components”

I honestly wish North American would get on the same page as everyone else and implement more diesel iterations as an environmentally friendly alternative instead but it still falls on the user awareness and lack of competence in the American market

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As someone with family working for Toyota and Honda and North American auto companies and a friend who works for Mazda. I have seen all sides of the story. They have all told me the same thing. The current iterations of Japanese engines are not where the should be in reliability. And for some North American cars( including fords) there are specific engine models which have not been implemented correctly My father who has over 50 years of experience as a master technician agrees that maintenance is the only real determinant for reliability. Lemons are an exception to the rule and that is few and far between. At then end of the day people need to understand what they are buying and most people don’t. A turbo engine cannot be treated like an NA and simply put there are more moving parts. What does define the difference between brands is the tolerance of abuse on parts which does come down to engineering or “over engineering of critical components”

I honestly wish North American would get on the same page as everyone else and implement more diesel iterations as an environmentally friendly alternative instead but it still falls on the user awareness and lack of competence in the American market
thanks for that explanation. I don't know a ton about engines. I'm glad I found this forum.
I get in a state of "analysis paralysis" with decisions so It helps to have the information broken down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks for that explanation. I don't know a ton about engines. I'm glad I found this forum.
I get in a state of "analysis paralysis" with decisions so It helps to have the information broken down.
At the end of the day people's experiences will always be different. I try to give every company the benefit of the doubt that when they release a new flagship vehicle there will be problems but that's what warranties are for. Im at 6000km now on my Ecoboost maverick and its been a blast. I've ripped it around on some fresh snowfall in empty parking lots and tested all the drive modes and even done some light trail driving and its been great. I will definitely be doing oil changes earlier in the service intervals because i know i plan on having fun with the truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts