Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the truck have to be on? If not how long can I plug something into it for?
I have a small camper, would be perfect to plug my camper in and run some led lights off it. Maybe the camper AC..
wonder what battery it uses?

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
310 Posts
That's a great question(s)? I don't think it would run your A/C, could be wrong. I imagine the way manufacture's advertise their inverters in the back of their trucks, they have the engines off. (gas consumption). 400w is not a whole lot. A toaster uses more like a hair dryer, too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a great question(s)? I don't think it would run your A/C, could be wrong. I imagine the way manufacture's advertise their inverters in the back of their trucks, they have the engines off. (gas consumption). 400w is not a whole lot. A toaster uses more like a hair dryer, too!

it can run like an Xbox Series X (~200- watts) and big screen HDTV ~125. Pretty impressive IMO! I think it can run enough for most uses.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
310 Posts
...Just,I purchased a Micro Winnie last year and I have learned some about wattage.....RV's can teach you a few things.... I never knew....lol Looking to install solar soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it can run like an Xbox Series X (~200- watts) and big screen HDTV ~125. Pretty impressive IMO! I think it can run enough for most uses.
This is perfect but I'm worried about the battery. Do you have to run the car? I'd love to plug my small r-pod camper into the Maverick and run my TV and xbox but worried about killing the battery. I'm guessing if I leave the car running the gas engine will kick in if needed but don't know for sure. Anyone know? Might just take some experience with jumper cables handy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is perfect but I'm worried about the battery. Do you have to run the car? I'd love to plug my small r-pod camper into the Maverick and run my TV and xbox but worried about killing the battery. I'm guessing if I leave the car running the gas engine will kick in if needed but don't know for sure. Anyone know? Might just take some experience with jumper cables handy.
I would DEFINITELY think you would have to have the car on.
12v x 600 amps (car battery) is 7.2 KW.
drawing 400w or 0.4kw.
you need 300+ amps to start your car or 3.6kw that leaves you 9 hours of run time IFFFF you have a PERFECT battery.

most cars these days don’t even let you run the USB or 12v outlet with out the car running

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would DEFINITELY think you would have to have the car on.
12v x 600 amps (car battery) is 7.2 KW.
drawing 400w or 0.4kw.
you need 300+ amps to start your car or 3.6kw that leaves you 9 hours of run time IFFFF you have a PERFECT battery.

most cars these days don’t even let you run the USB or 12v outlet with out the car running
Well I agree with the 1st part , about having to run the car to keep the battery charged, while using the invertor.

however, while a new car battery may be capable of a 600 ampere draw - that is only for a matter of seconds - necessary to start the engine - and certainly is not the case for the average non-new battery.

a car battery capable of only 300 amps, is not only below spec, but will not start a car. So unfortunately, do not expect a 9 hr of run time to run something off of the invertor. Not happening .

I agree that ford should publish a spec sheet for the 400W invertor .

·
Registered
14 Posts
The F150 hybrid uses the traction battery for the inverter and only starts the engine when the traction battery is almost empty. I hope that the Maverick does the same. The 1.5 kWh from the traction battery would be enough for several days camping and the engine can charge the traction battery in about 15 min.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is the traction battery the same battery that powers the electric motor? Why do they call it a traction battery? My question actually applies to the 2.0 EcoBoost - does the engine have to be running to use the invertor? If not how long can you use the invertor before running down the truck battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, the traction battery is the battery that powers the electric motors with hybrid engines. The F150 and Toyota Sienna use the traction battery for the outlets in the car. Since the car can start even if the traction battery is empty, hybrid cars can provide power even when the engine is not running.

The ecoboost would have to use the 12v battery. You would probably have to run the engine to avoid depleting the battery and getting stranded.

I hope the Maverick uses the same setup as the F150

1 - 11 of 11 Posts