Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I don't really understand, and maybe someone can help, is why this is limited to 4K Towing when other trucks with a smaller amount of payload, and similar horsepower, have had a larger amounts of maximum towing over the years. Even the current Tacoma offers only 20-30 more HP and a lower payload yet reach 6800lb towing. Anyone hazard a guess what the limit is other than Unibody construction? The Santa Cruz musters 1k lbs more so if that was the limiter I would imagine they would be rated more closely.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
36 Posts
Don’t know all the ends and outs, but one thing is the vehicles weight. The truck itself only weighs about 3600lb +\-. That alone would limit its towing max.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don’t know all the ends and outs, but one thing is the vehicles weight. The truck itself only weighs about 3600lb +\-. That alone would limit its towing max.
We'll that makes since outside of using a trailer brake, but I can't imagine 200-400lb between this and the SC make up the 1k theoretical difference.

chassis style and braking availability.
That makes sense, although I have trouble believing Ford's platform is less robust than Hyundais, although it is shared with smaller vehicles in general.

I guess part of what I was asking is, does everyone think Ford is being spot on with the 4k towing, or are they trying to artificially cap it a bit to avoid competing with the Ranger?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read somewhere the Ford put the Maverick through the same "Built Ford Tough" testing as their larger trucks. Part of this testing was to push the vehicle beyond rated limits. The takeaway from the article was that Maverick is capable of much more than 4K, so the 4K rating should really make this a nice driving and handling truck even at max limits.

Other manufacturers don't leave this buffer, and as such, advertise higher numbers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully so, because I have gone back and forth between this and the SC because of both exterior styling (I find the SC pretty Unique), sporty driving, and the towing limit. I don't need to tow much, probably nothing more than a Kayak trailer or a Jet-Ski unless I buy or rent a camper. But I would like the option to pull a little project import car and trailer or something if I needed to in a pinch. That would likely put me at or close to the limit of 4k. I really, really don't want to have a bigger truck, but also don't want to find myself needed to upgrade in 5 years because I didn't properly evaluate everything.

I am curious what Ford's "Built Ford Tough" testing is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hopefully so, because I have gone back and forth between this and the SC because of both exterior styling (I find the SC pretty Unique), sporty driving, and the towing limit. I don't need to tow much, probably nothing more than a Kayak trailer or a Jet-Ski unless I buy or rent a camper. But I would like the option to pull a little project import car and trailer or something if I needed to in a pinch. That would likely put me at or close to the limit of 4k. I really, really don't want to have a bigger truck, but also don't want to find myself needed to upgrade in 5 years because I didn't properly evaluate everything.

I am curious what Ford's "Built Ford Tough" testing is.
Are you willing to spring for an aftermarket trailer brake controller/system for the Hyundai? If not, then you're not supposed to tow 5k lbs with it. Ford was good enough to integrate one into the Maverick (with tow package).

I honestly think that you'd be just fine with the 4k tow on the Maverick, for what you're talking about. I plan to use mine for the same thing. Not constantly, but occasionally. I wouldn't try towing a Lincoln Town Car with it, but a 90s midsize sedan (or smaller/lighter)? I feel would be okay and wouldn't overwhelm the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you willing to spring for an aftermarket trailer brake controller/system for the Hyundai? If not, then you're not supposed to tow 5k lbs with it. Ford was good enough to integrate one into the Maverick (with tow package).

I honestly think that you'd be just fine with the 4k tow on the Maverick, for what you're talking about. I plan to use mine for the same thing. Not constantly, but occasionally. I wouldn't try towing a Lincoln Town Car with it, but a 90s midsize sedan (or smaller/lighter)? I feel would be okay and wouldn't overwhelm the towing vehicle.
A trailer brake isn't too expensive, and I read that the Hyundai already has the under-dash connections, as well as the rear harness, but you have to buy the Kia part as Hyundai has yet to release a 7pin version.

I think I will be happy either way. My plan is to test drive a Canyon (the only midsize I can remotely stand the looks of), and the test drive a 2.5T Hyundai. My Mav order will come in after those, so hopefully by then when I test drive the Maverick on arrival day, I know that I am happy and can take it home that day. My dealer was pretty stoked to get retail orders, since stock orders will be limited. So if I don't buy it, they won't be hurting. After seeing the interior of the Maverick, I hate giving up a few small features from the SC, but for between 4-8k in savings, I can do a lot in terms of modifications, and buying toys (like that jet-ski).

·
Registered
2018 F150 XLT 2wd 2.7EB
32 Posts
What I don't really understand, and maybe someone can help, is why this is limited to 4K Towing when other trucks with a smaller amount of payload, and similar horsepower, have had a larger amounts of maximum towing over the years. Even the current Tacoma offers only 20-30 more HP and a lower payload yet reach 6800lb towing. Anyone hazard a guess what the limit is other than Unibody construction? The Santa Cruz musters 1k lbs more so if that was the limiter I would imagine they would be rated more closely.
Body-on-frame vs. unibody. Torsional rigidity, ride quality. Santa Cruz has a large sail pillar to get to 5K, Maverick is more like the current gen Ridgeline. Weight and cost to produce.
"That’s why Toyota’s Mike Sweers said that yes, a unibody vehicle can tow enough for this segment, but you get to the point of “diminishing returns,” where you’ve added so much structure to bolster the body, your unibody truck now weighs the same or more than its more traditional counterparts."
Mid-Size Trucks Don't Need Frames (jalopnik.com)

A body-on-frame F-350 can do this...if that happens in a Maverick your screwed...
Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts