Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
only for things the dealer or Ford can connect to your installation of the head unit. So if your transmission has a fault, you're still under warranty, but if your remote unlock isn't working because your headunit disables the LTE hotspot, no luck.

Here is the relevant law for your review: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think they will be available when the Sync 4 upgrade is released. It will support a larger screen according to the Ford website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there ever any first party headunit modifications available at dealerships? I'm not too familiar with these type of things; excuse the ignorant questions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
YIkes 12in screen...It would be too distracting for me.... And I would think any modifications to the original Hyundai design...ie.., cutting wires, adding items with a different electrical load.., etc.., would just open to the door to "Sorry You've Modified it" and that is why it failed and the warranty won't cover it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My other vehicle is a Tesla.. having a small truck to complement it would be nice. However, the only drawback (besides potential reliability issues) to me is that small screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen F150s with the large screens you could try that but the hardware would cause issues. The only easy way i've seen is a floating tablet style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife’s Cherokee has a giant screen. It’s a pain in the ass. I prefer a phone dock on the vent. When did cars become all about the laptop in the dash?

·
Registered
97 Posts
When did cars become all about the laptop in the dash?
May 2, 2018. I know you weren't looking for a specific date as an answer, but that's it. May 2, 2018. That is the date that the law went into effect requiring that all new cars come equipped with backup cameras. There is no longer such a thing as a radio. Now every car, truck, and van has an "infotainment system". If you have to have a screen, you might as well make use of it, even when the car isn't in reverse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
May 2, 2018. I know you weren't looking for a specific date as an answer, but that's it. May 2, 2018. That is the date that the law went into effect requiring that all new cars come equipped with backup cameras. There is no longer such a thing as a radio. Now every car, truck, and van has an "infotainment system". If you have to have a screen, you might as well make use of it, even when the car isn't in reverse.
being a old guy it's tradition i rip out the factory stereo head unit and install an aftermarket. i had heard it's getting harder to do, but my 08 was fine. Looks like it's finally truly to that point where I wont be messing with it!

Also for the anti-tablet guy above, the Teslas are essentially built around an iPad, and I can sort of see the cool factor in that. Although I bet Tesla does it a lot better than Ford or GM. One thing advertised about the Tesla tablet, when parked you can play video games on it! Granted anti tablet guy might turn up his nose at that too.

Too me it's kind of obvious how BAD the "infotainment systems" are in all respects to say, an iPad. Huge opportunity there IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my Tesla I usually play Chess, a racing game (uses the steering wheel) or watch YouTube.

I was primarily interested in a 12 inch screen for Google Maps on Android. It's easier on the eyes than a smaller screen would be.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Too me it's kind of obvious how BAD the "infotainment systems" are in all respects to say, an iPad. Huge opportunity there IMO.
I agree 100%. Technology ages. It requires updates and sometimes even replacements. Having it built into the dashboard makes replacement harder to do. And let's face it: Ford is a truck company. (They used to be a car company.) They're good with technology, but they're not the best. They've struggled for years with faulty infotainment systems. I would like to see them partner with a reputable company like Apple or Samsung or Google to get a purpose built tablet into their vehicles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Technically SYNC is (or at least was) a Microsoft joint venture.

Even companies that tout themselves as being on the leading edge of technology can screw up the infotainment. For instance Teslas where on the main dash computer the flash storage was getting filled up due to over-the-air (OTA) updates and had data logging running all the time. Because the updates grew to take >90% of the storage the logs were overwriting on the same small storage area, wearing it out, and now you had to replacement the whole computer (something like $10k+) or have a third party replace and upgrade the storage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
why do t the install the Sync4 in the new Maverick? they are being cheap.
I suspect it has more to do with chip availability than Ford "being cheap". SYNC is their proprietary infotainment system. They certainly don't want to showcase a last-generation version of it in their newest, latest, and greatest model. In my estimation, they are using the SYNC 3 to put the Maverick to market this year instead of next year. Bonus: all other manufacturers have their hands tied and have parking lots full of unfinished cars and trucks waiting on current generation microchips.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I suspect it has more to do with chip availability than Ford "being cheap". SYNC is their proprietary infotainment system. They certainly don't want to showcase a last-generation version of it in their newest, latest, and greatest model. In my estimation, they are using the SYNC 3 to put the Maverick to market this year instead of next year. Bonus: all other manufacturers have their hands tied and have parking lots full of unfinished cars and trucks waiting on current generation microchips.

Ford has been using SYNC 4 the past 2 years. I think they are using SYNC 3 sys to save money and clear them out. When it comes to technology I just hate having to settle for anything less than up-to-date—anything!! since they are selling this truck for considerably lower price than expected, I believe they are probably taking the opportunity of cutting back anyway they can. IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts