Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You’ll have to dig around, but according to a post on this forum a couple weeks ago it may end up possible to add cruise with just a steering wheel swap (which was surprisingly cheap) and some programming. Will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You’ll have to dig around, but according to a post on this forum a couple weeks ago it may end up possible to add cruise with just a steering wheel swap (which was surprisingly cheap) and some programming. Will be interesting to see.
Reminder the steering wheel has an airbag... $$$$$$ perhaps more costs involved? We will all find out together.✔🇺🇸

·
Registered
246 Posts
We still don't know if the XL module which controls cruise function is programmable for cruise. XLT use a different part number for that module. That doesn't mean the XL module is not compatible, it could just be that one is switched on and the other is not right out of the box.
May be a simple steering wheel swap, maybe not. I'm guessing not, but we are waiting for Mav to update us.

Mav; any word on the Cruise add?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If that module needs to be swapped, any idea how much it costs?
I do not. I can't remember if it was the GEM or the BCM. I can't even confirm if it actually needs to be swapped on the Maverick. On some Fords they do, on others they don't. It's all unknown for Maverick right now.

On a side note, Mav was also thinking of trying to add the adaptive cruise function. Again, I think that requires a bit more than just adding the radar sensor. For one, the instrument cluster is different. I'm sure it also has to communicate to many other models on the network. But Mav was going to try to figure it out. More power to him. Interested to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm getting an XL. Did not want to pay $2,000.00+ for cruise control. Has anybody seen any aftermarket units yet?
I had a Hyundai Accent, that did not even have the option for cruise control. That bugged me, but I thought I might add it afterwards... Ha !
So I have a friend who is my ace mechanic. If something can be done aftermarket, he can do it ! So we started looking into aftermarket setups, and he said, "Yes, he could probably make it work.... but that it would be a large PITA, possibly sketchy performance, and would totally void my insurance, if I should ever get in a serious accident while using it" :( Bummer. So that never happened. Not saying you would run into the same situation with a Maverick. Maybe since the highest package has CC + adaptive, it could be done with all the same equipment, even if all or some of that equipment was an aftermarket copy of the original equipment ? ....but I wouldn't go into a situation "expecting" to just add cruise control later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford has made it very difficult and very expensive to add factory cruise on 2017 and newer trucks. We had to add cruise to a fleet of 2020 XL superduty F450s and I called my customer threatening to kick him in the ding a ling (we have become good friends) if he ever orders trucks without cruise again. It is virtually impossible.

Pay the 2k.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ford has made it very difficult and very expensive to add factory cruise on 2017 and newer trucks. We had to add cruise to a fleet of 2020 XL superduty F450s and I called my customer threatening to kick him in the ding a ling (we have become good friends) if he ever orders trucks without cruise again. It is virtually impossible.

Pay the 2k.
Honestly, from what my mechanic says, its almost never easy to add aftermarket cruise control, unless the car is available with it, and you can somehow get all the factory cruise control parts. Like I said above, with my own personal experience, I'd never go into a new purchase without CC, and expect to add it later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping someone figures a way to add factory cruise. If not, there was a vendor that started selling aftermarket, Rostra.

I ordered XL assuming worst case I would be okay with the aftermarket. I really hope there's an easy way to add factory though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hoping someone figures a way to add factory cruise. If not, there was a vendor that started selling aftermarket, Rostra.

I ordered XL assuming worst case I would be okay with the aftermarket. I really hope there's an easy way to add factory though.
This is not "the worst case". See my reply above...Best wishes though.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I had to code in as built data in 4 different modules. There were over 500 total lines of code....and I have a dealer laptop. I won't ever do it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts