Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

My wife has a 2003 Dakota Club Cab. We were looking for a similar size truck, but with a bigger back seat. The Maverick has almost the same dimensions with width and length as the Dakota, however the Maverick's back seat is a big jump in size (which we need), and the bed is shorter (which is fine with us). We were looking for a new truck that did not require a step ladder to get into, be able to reach into the bed, with a bigger back seat than what we had. The Maverick met all of those requirements along with added safety features and much (much, much) higher MPGs. My wife is 62 and I am 47, we live in KS, and cart around dogs or my father in law (I have an Escape hybrid for road trips with the family).

·
Registered
116 Posts
65 yr old male. Looking for a replacement for my aging Tacoma. Only trucks currently available in Canada are pricy 4X4s with dismal fuel economy. Mavericks have a multitude of features available for a very wide range of buyers. Excellent fuel economy, flexible cargo capability, reasonably priced, ample passenger room, just the right size. Ultimate PMR!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a feeling a lot of folks are looking for a basic easy to clean truck that gets good gas mpg
outside the Rabbit diesel pickup and my stick shift 2wd diesel suburban not much hits the cheap/reliable/simple/good mpg category that pretty much ceased existence in 1999.

42 year old Male
Maverick base hybrid
Replacing a rusting 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 v8 that needs a front end

rarely tow but trailers are light and moved locally

truck doesn’t drive many miles but with 40mpg city that could change

In terms of Hyundai/Kia my friends never had good luck with them and my view is negative of the brand in general, price of repairs seems to be high
Add to this
Looks
Upfront Price
Fuel economy
All in my mind compare poorly to the Maverick

Ford is a mixed bag but at least I know what I am getting into.
Very dissappointed a simple long box bench seat manual everything 50mpg 5speed diesel like the VW truck no longer exists but Maverick is about as close as I’m going to get in this century

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, you'll only get people responding here that post here...so...

Older male replacing a 1948 Jeep truck that was really a 1999 toyota 3.4 and a 1996 t100, and, at the same time, a 2011 Nissan Leaf.

Will it do all those did? Not possible. But in 3-4 months when its here I'll have enough done that it'll fit the bill nicely. For me its about replacing older cars that are getting long in their years with something that gets great fuel milleage and decent enough performance. I'll still have a farm 4x4 vehicle (off road only).

I can see why a woman would want to own this is she lives in the country, values good mpg's, and doesn't want to break the bank. If she's single, shes single by choice. :)

·
Registered
1990 Chevy S-10
13 Posts
I am a 71 year old retired teacher/computer tech who has been watching for a small hybrid pickup to replace my 1990 Chevy S-10 long bed for many years. My other vehicle is a 2013 Prius Plug-in which delivers an average 72 MPG and has never had any work except oil and tires. With 132,000 it still has the original brakes. I know and love hybrids.
I'm already catching some grief from my friends and relatives with their giant F-10's and Tacomas. "why not get a REAL truck", they say. They artfully dodge questions like... "how is your MPG"? "why does your truck sit in the driveway in front of your empty garage"?. I ordered the Hybrid Lariat Luxury in Aria 51 back in June because I love the style, the MPG and the fact that it will fit very nicely into the spot the S-10 currently occupies in the garage next to the Prius.
I have been driving for over 55 years with no accidents. (My dad took me to the DMV the morning of my 16th birthday to get my license. I went to work delivering flowers that afternoon. 1966 was a great year!) However, I have recently just barely missed being involved in a couple serious accidents. The fact is that my reaction time and attention to the road is diminished now and I find that driving is much more difficult and dangerous as I age. Driving used to be a joy, but has become a chore that I avoid when I can. I am hoping that all of the driving assist and safety features my Maverick will have can help bring back some of the pleasure that driving used to bring.
I also have a pellet stove that heats the entire house and only draws 3 amps. We lose power occasionally (particularly in winter) and now I have to pull the S-10 out, raise the hood, clamp an inverter onto the battery and run an extension to the stove to keep it going. The Prius can't be used for jump starting or running accessories. I am looking forward to simply pulling the Maverick out and plugging in the extension...done!
There are so many features that appeal to me. I HATE black and dark grey interiors. Almost all new vehicles have dark seats until you option up way over $30,000. The Lariat interior looks like it will be perfect for me. I love the look. Yes, the bed is about half the size of my S-10's, but that is fine by me these days. My friends, family and neighbors with their shiny "monster" size trucks call me all time to help them move or make a "dump run" with my large capacity funky old pickup and leave their seldom used trucks at home resting on their clean, shiny, huge wheels. My aching old body will appreciate being basically off the market for those kind of activities once my new ride appears.
Don't get me wrong. I will still put this truck to work making smaller dump runs and helping move smaller items for folks. I always wonder at the many people I know who have pickups that have never had dirt in the bed. My Maverick will be loaded with mulch, soil, yard waste for recycling and household items for donation to reception centers. I'll be hauling kayaks, bikes and stove pellets regularly. also, I haven't had the heart to make the 7-8 hour drive up 95 to visit my daughter in MA (I live in MD) for several years. One of the first things I intend to do is hit the highway, turn on the assist features and cruise on up to see her.
Finally, my wife, who has been completely opposed to buying any new vehicle, spotted an article about this truck first and showed it to me. I would have probably gone with a different color, but she loved AREA 51. I happily agreed. You know the saying, "Happy wife equals happy life". We have been together for 51 years (1970 was another great year) and I can assure you that this is true.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think Ford is able to produce a lot more than Hyundai in North America... They have a a much better track record of mass producing vehicles... Take the Palisade vs the Explorer.

Hyundai cant keep the Palisade on the lots... we drove both at a dealer that had both Hyundai and Ford. They had 23 Explorers and 3 Palisades to choose from when we purchased in Feb 2021.

Sales Numbers - Mainstream Large Three-Row Crossovers - Q1 2021 - United States

MODELQ1 21 / Q1 20Q1 21Q1 20Q1 21 SHAREQ1 20 SHARE
TOTAL+22.59%325,468265,499
FORD EXPLORER+15.87%65,24456,31020%21%
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER+33.29%63,83147,89020%18%
CHEVROLET TRAVERSE+26.39%38,03730,09512%11%
HONDA PILOT+31.61%31,45123,89810%9%
VOLKSWAGEN ATLAS+98.09%30,52015,4079%6%
KIA TELLURIDE+29.88%21,85416,8267%6%
HYUNDAI PALISADE+29.84%21,20716,3337%6%
DODGE DURANGO+15.47%20,56017,8056%7%
SUBARU ASCENT-7.37%14,47315,6244%6%
NISSAN PATHFINDER-50.78%8,90518,0923%7%
MAZDA CX-9+30.02%9,3867,2193%3%

Reactions: NDL

·
Registered
47 Posts
39 yo male. Have owned numerous old Rangers, and F150s. Avid fisherman pull boats of various sizes year round. Pull utility trailers and enclosed trailers often. However nothing really exceeding 4k.

Replacing a 2008 standard cab f 150 2wd with 256,000 miles. Runs and drives excellent, very reliable but only a matter of time next round of money to dump into it. Have two children 5 and 7. Can't take wife and kids together in truck. She has a Chrysler town and country with hitch, but only at 90,000 miles and its third transmission ( thankfully lifetime warranty on that pos paid for itself already) we don't dare pull anything with it. This has led us to taking 2 vehicles at times on trips to northern MI. Very inefficient for fuel savings.

Ready for this damn truck anytime now!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I bought my wife a 38k luxury car with all the bells & whistles three and a half years ago for her retirement. I have a 20 year old S10 pickup that I call my "Mulch Truck". The S10 is a step side and a Florida truck that still looks great even though it has 170k. The problem is my wife always takes my truck. I had to put a battery tender on the car because it just doesn't get driven (< 6k in 3.5 years).

It was obvious, being both retired and realize we are a one-vehicle family that the Maverick Lariat will certainly fit all the needs in our house. Living in Florida we do get company so we do need four doors to pick them up at the airport and mosey around town. We don't travel and we don't need AWD in Florida so the Hybrid is perfect for our fixed income. We do need the power seats because the wife needs the lift and we both will be driving it regularly. The dual Air is also a must. We would have been fine with the XLT seats but the ActiveX should be fine.

I read that 71% of orders are for the Hybrid. I can see there are many utilizing the AWD and the price point of the XL and XLT is a key factor. It looks like Ford has a big winner with the Maverick. It's funny, for years I couldn't figure out why nobody was manufacturing a truck that fills the very niche of the Maverick. I have had a lot of people ask me if I would considered selling my S10 several times. Even had a guy knock on my door inquiring if I would sell it. I will admit you do feel a little intimidated when them monster trucks pull up next to you at the light and when you get out of the store and a Big Guy is parked next to you. Personally, I just grin when I see see all the big trucks lined up at the gas station when I drive buy!

Maverick - All we need and all we want!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I think the whole purpose of buying the Maverick by women, and people in urban areas, is that it can be had as a hybrid. Always driving under 40 MPH they will only gas up once a month if that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Late 50's male, I have driven full sized trucks since 1992. Had a Nissan Hardbody before that. While I appreciate the room and comfort of a full size truck, I was drawn to the practicality and economy of the Maverick. I am an avid deer hunter and my lease is 425 miles (one way) from home. Economy is important. I currently have a Toyota Tacoma and the Maverick has greater space/comfort/economy. Obviously, the Maverick is more car/suv like than the Tacoma. I don't need to tow any heavy loads but do suspect I will utilize a hitch basket for gasoline cans and ice chests. The payload capacity is impressive.

·
Registered
203 Posts

This would probably do better as a survey, but even if Maverick is marketed toward women and 'urban buyers,' that doesn't mean that it won't be ordered by men living out in the burbs or on farms or whatever.

My husband is in his 70's. He's pretty secure in his masculinity, and he doesn't care how this cool truck is marketed. He's also a dedicated cyclist. He knows his way to Lowe's and Harbor Freight and the local kayak ramps. He likes hybrids. He ain't young, female, or urban. Yet, he fits the demographic of a lot of people on the various Maverick forums. This is his dream truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
54 year old male. Colorado. Currently have a 2003 F150 which I will keep for the time being. Have had lots of truck over the years, just thinking I won't be needing heavy duty capacity, and want better MPG given current oil prices, and hoping it is not another mid 1970's situation. Buying the Hybrid (plug in hybrid would sell even better IMO, maybe next gen), hoping FWD will be OK in CO, as when we had a FWD mini van it did OK. Only possible drawback will be boat towing in FL, but I can cross that bridge later or keep the F150 for that, which is why I'm holding it for now. I'M JUST NOT SEEING THE BIG FEMALE MARKET... but I could be wrong. Seems like mostly guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
59 year old female here. I live in a small Texas town of 6000, but work in a 100,000 pop town 40ish minutes away. I don't consider this urban, but....
My (currently in the process of being built) truck isn't hybrid, though. I like the down sizing of the Maverick, I like a bed I can actually access, and I got AWD because of Snowmageddon. I don't know if I am in the demographic that Ford was thinking of when they designed the truck, but it sure fits so many needs, and it looks good in the process of being practical. The Santa Cruz doesn't look nearly as good to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
72 year old retired electrician who has owned 3 Ford Rangers since 1990. First one an 88 and put 143K on the clock minus the 11K it came with, second one a 97 Splash low rider that I put 188K on the clock still running like a charm when I traded it in for a 05 FX/4 that I still own with 168K on the clock.

New Rangers are nice but not my style. The Santa Cruz is most definitely NOT my style. This Maverick is exactly what I am looking for in. 2.0T & 4WD. Not sure if I will spring for the XLT or the Lariat package. Still can't find one locally in any trim to check out in person without driving over 100 miles. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts

65 Year old male with an 18 year old SUv that gets a lofty 11 MPG, has 200K miles, runs well but has future work needed at $1200 + and whatever else decides to break. After buying used all my life decided to look for something new and under 25K only things I found were a Toyota or a Honda sedan...eh I could live with that...then I found our about the Mav and was astonished at the low base XL price and the lofty hybrid mileage and the great reviews and its good looks. Don't drive that much maybe 5k a year, but considering I'd be getting almost 4x the mileage that would partially make up for the payments and finally...Zero car repair bills which increase all the time. Was a no brainer, I didn't need any options. Went down to the dealer and they had one on the lot (an Ecoboost) and was highly pleased with it's good looks and size. Put down my deposit on an XL hybrid in carb grey last month. Won't get it likely until the spring (I did get a priority 12 though...) so need to baby the old SUV thru the winter. Looking forward to getting a new ride..finally and at a great price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
61 male, The idea of getting a new pickup under $30k caught my attention. Prebuilt the xl vs xlt a few times before deciding on the xlt Hybrid with sunroof. I currently drive a 2014 Jeep Patriot with 87k miles and get 30mpg. My Jeep is almost the same size as the Maverick so I just image the jeep with a bed which will be handy when hauling landscaping supplies, kayak or lumber. I' expecting to get the upper limit on the mpgs since the average speed limit here (Big Island, Hawaii) is 45mph with a lot of stop and go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
65 year old male who owned a F250 King Ranch diesel and pulled a 35ft fifth wheel. Sold the truck and trailer since we no longer want to travel south and don't enjoy camping in Canada. I still need a small truck for hauling garbage to the dump and picking up building materials for working around the house. At one point in my life I owned a VW Rabbit pickup diesel and ran it up to 800,000 Km before selling it to a friend. It was also a unibody constructed truck. I once took it to a gravel pit and loaded it by hand with A Gravel to take back to the house and pour a concrete pad for a shed. When I hit the scales on the way out of the pit, the guy at the scale marveled at the indicated weight . I had 4400 lbs in the back and he said if it had been a Chevy it would have broken the springs and axles. He prayed for me as I left the pit.
Needless to say a 2 seat VW pickup is much smaller than the Maverick but if I could have bought a new VW pickup like it, it would have suited my needs. Looking forward to getting the Maverick and enjoying a vehicle which meets the need and is more eco friendly than a full size truck. Bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
... At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.
I'm turning 75 tomorrow and live in the East Texas country on a lake with an oil sand road. My wife and I love the Maverick. I have been toying with buying and restoring an 18 year old GMC Sonoma ZRX, 17+ year old Dodge Dakota, or a 9 year old Ranger. There seems to be very low mileage trucks in those categories but they cost as much as the XL.

I've had to drive full size trucks as a Construction Manager of an Engineering Company who designed and installed large Refinery Units. But, I've always liked the smaller trucks and the new Ranger, Colorado, and Canyon, have just grown in size to a point they no longer make any sense to me. Especially considering the F150 with their Pro Power capabilities and the Dodge with their V6 with the electric assist motor. Not only that the Toyota, Honda Ridgeline, Santa Cruz, and Nissan have never been an option for me.

So, the Maverick arrived and it checked all my boxes even in the XL trim. For me it has great truck looks, good ride, good power for the 2.0 EB, lots of buttons, and the dark onyx/graphite (my description) interior is fantastic.

That's my ol' guy 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts