Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
24 year old male, Wisconsin, I previously owned a 99 Silverado 1500 4x4, and two sedans. I traded off the truck in college for MPG reasons, and ever since I missed the ride height and functions of having a bed.

Originally I had two reservations on the Santa Cruz to make sure I got in early. I saw the Maverick leaks with the camo and I just couldn't picture a good looking vehicle underneath all that camo.

So finally Ford announces the Maverick and I'm pretty well impressed but I kept my Santa Cruz reservations and went ahead and put a order in for a Maverick. Finally they come out with pricing and I was able to drive a santa cruz shortly thereafter. Was one of the funnest Vehicles I've ever driven but the interior was absolutely awful. It was uncomfortable and hard, it felt like the cabin was cramped on my left arm, and only coming with the option of a boring black and cloth seats all the way up to the $37,000 trim just completely floored me. At least attempted to get some information about how much it would cost cuz maybe I could overcome the poor MPG and the interior because I liked the exterior styling a lot. They wanted $4,000-$5,000 over MSRP, and my reservations meant nothing.

I called my Ford dealership that I ordered my Maverick through and I verify that I would be paying MSRP, and I probably cancel my Santa Cruz reservations.

I'm not going to reward slimy dealership and Manufacturing practices that tricked me into waiting for a vehicle that was never going to be offered at the price that was advertised. I'm not going to pay 10% mark up just to be a guinea pig.

Long story short I got my XLT FX4 4K Towing luxury hot pepper red and I love the s*** out of it.

Fits in my really small garage, did a wonderful job hauling 4 by 8s, and averages a tick above 25 mpg. I definitely don't hypermile either.

Reactions: NDL and cavalierrs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm turning 75 tomorrow and live in the East Texas country on a lake with an oil sand road. My wife and I love the Maverick. I have been toying with buying and restoring an 18 year old GMC Sonoma ZRX, 17+ year old Dodge Dakota, or a 9 year old Ranger. There seems to be very low mileage trucks in those categories but they cost as much as the XL.

I've had to drive full size trucks as a Construction Manager of an Engineering Company who designed and installed large Refinery Units. But, I've always liked the smaller trucks and the new Ranger, Colorado, and Canyon, have just grown in size to a point they no longer make any sense to me. Especially considering the F150 with their Pro Power capabilities and the Dodge with their V6 with the electric assist motor. Not only that the Toyota, Honda Ridgeline, Santa Cruz, and Nissan have never been an option for me.

So, the Maverick arrived and it checked all my boxes even in the XL trim. For me it has great truck looks, good ride, good power for the 2.0 EB, lots of buttons, and the dark onyx/graphite (my description) interior is fantastic.

That's my ol' guy 2 cents worth.
Happy Birthday! I live in East Texas, too...what time is cake and ice cream?!?! Lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12 Posts
65 yr old male. Looking for a replacement for my aging Tacoma. Only trucks currently available in Canada are pricy 4X4s with dismal fuel economy. Mavericks have a multitude of features available for a very wide range of buyers. Excellent fuel economy, flexible cargo capability, reasonably priced, ample passenger room, just the right size. Ultimate PMR!
Happy Birthday! I live in East Texas, too...what time is cake and ice cream?!?! Lol :ROFLMAO:
Next Friday in Tyler when the family celebrates Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
37M - I currently have a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Besides being a little underpowered off the line, I really enjoy the Crosstrek and most of Subaru's vehicles. The Crosstrek replaced my 2007 F150 because I was sick of the terrible MPG, but over the years I missed having a truck.

I was planning on buying a Tacoma when I learned about the great MPG and price of the Maverick. After seeing one in person I was hooked. I love the utilitarian/DIY spirit of the Maverick (or at least of the marketing).

The Maverick should be a little quicker than the Crosstrek. I am sure the Maverick will be able to go to the same places (ie. Trailheads, Campsites, and some deeper dispersed camping locations), and I will be able to utilize the maverick for some of my woodworking/building hobbies.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fit the demographic of urban buyer and 5'2" female. But I live in a Northwest city full of Teslas and luxury cars where simple houses sell for over $1M. I think the Hyundai exterior is pretty ugly. And as a city dweller Mom and weekend DIYer and woodworker, I love the Maverick interior and exterior design. I'm replacing a 20 year old Ford Ranger and 2019 Nissan Leaf when the lease ends with the Lariat Lux Hybrid. I had reservations for the Tesla Cybertruck and Ford F150 Lightning, but they are just too big for my needs. I only wish the Maverick came in a full EV model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.

It’s simple cost and fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think i'm the oldest guy (81) that's on this new Mavrick truck love affair. My last four trucks were 3 S10's and I have a 2005 GMC Canyon that my Mav Lariat will replace. The Mavrick hits all the points that most of us are looking for. Good mileage, options to suit everyone, good truck looks, and fits in your garage! For me this is a hobby truck, not for a heavy hauling vehicle. With the crew cab rear seats large enough to be usable, I no longer need my mid size sedan for everyday driving 3 or 4 passengers. We still have a 7 passenger SUV that my wife drives (Gas Guzzler) Can't wait for my Hybrid 42mpg truck so I can talk her into some thing more practical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

I am 61 years old. I had a 2000 Nissan Frontier, the first 4 door truck. I loved that truck an drove it for 10 years.
I bought an XLT Maverick for less money than a used Nissan Frontier. The front wheel drive and 30 mpg with the 2.0 engine appealed to me. So far, this a great truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
40+ male, and I really just wanted a truck I can easily fit into my garage and park with less hassle. My Ranger just barely fit into an 80s era 2 car garage in the Texas suburbs and while it's less drama than an F150 to park around town, it's still a PITA in a downtown austin parking garage. I think it's a good value overall. I'm still salty you have to buy the Lariat just to get parking sensors and SiriusXM though - that's some AT&T level product packaging fuckery right there.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm 73 and my Honda Accord was kinda low for me, I have a 2019 Ranger and it's a tad high, the Maverick is JUST RIGHT like in Goldilocks and the Three Bears.......plus My hybrid is less than $22,000 and will be great on gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a 77 year old male in northern Minnesota. My wife has a fairly new Dodge Caravan and my daily (not every day) driver is a 1999 Ranger that I love. But our roads are salted heavily in the winter and my beloved Ranger is getting rusty. I have a pole barn but don't like parking in it. We park our main vehicles in a Quonset hut with limited space. When I saw that Ford was coming out with the Maverick, I ordered the 2 liter version with all wheel drive. It should definite get much better mileage than the 4 liter Ranger. Also, my Ranger cost $2,000 in repairs this year. I like the looks of the Maverick much better than any competition. I don't like climbing into full size trucks and the small bed doesn't bother me. My main use is for dump runs, recycling, and bringing gasoline cans home for tractors, Jeep Laredo plow "truck" and such. Any trailers I pull will be light duty. Although I'd like to have the hybrid, I didn't want the longer wait for it. If Ford's latest update still stands, I should receive the Maverick in early December.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I truly believe that the Maverick is a game-changer because of Ford's decision to make the Hybrid the base engine and low starting pricing. It is hard to exactly pinpoint the demographics because this little truck crosses so many typical brackets. The base model with a Hybrid would be an excellent first car for a recent graduate (male and female) that otherwise would get a used small SUV or a new Corolla for instance. Although the Maverick is affordable it gives off the vibe of someone that is adventurous and on weekends could tackle home projects or a camping trip with ease. It is a newfound freedom. When I started talking to my wife about the Maverick (before showing pictures or videos). She said "a truck? absolutely not, they use too much gas and I won't be able to park it"
She came completely around after I showed her videos and pictures. When I showed her the pricing and MPG she was convinced!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Toyota let me down, the only hybrid is the Tundra but it's not for fuel economy but to get it off the line because the engine dies when the behomouth stops at traffic lights. My Prii don't have the umph to tow well and as a septagenerian this could be my last vehicle, didn't need AWD or mega towing, just want to be able to drag Grampy's Campy out once in awhile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
33 year old male who lives in the suburbs of Cincinnati. I have always wanted a truck, but there have always been two barriers: fuel economy and price.

Even small trucks get poor fuel economy when you consider my 75 mile per day commute. It just didn't make sense to spend a ton of money on a truck to get poor fuel economy. I have a Prius and it's the most affordable and reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Why do I want a truck? I'm a homeowner and sometimes I don't want to load things in my wife's minivan. I have a four wheeler and get tired of pulling a trailer with my 96 Bronco or asking friends to use their trucks. I buy and flip vintage motorcycles. There are a ton of reasons I want and often need a truck.

I also have 3 kids. Yes, I know the Maverick interior isn't huge, but I can transport my family safely and comfortably. I couldn't do that with an old 4 cylinder pickup.

This is the truck for people like me, who always wanted one, but didn't want to drain a bank account, burn unnecessary amounts of fuel, and contribute to a larger carbon footprint than I needed too.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am a 61yr old female and I am waiting for my 1st Edition Model to be delivered. I am from Va. Beach.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts