Ford Maverick Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.

Women seem to prefer the look & price of the Ford Maverick. I would never assume that just because the Santa Cruz has a 'more polished and or modern look' to it that women would automatically prefer to buy that one. I don't think you're giving enough credit to women to be able to determine what they want, why, and whstprice they are willing to pay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Late 40s Male, had three Rangers and didn't like the size of the new ranger. I think there's a bunch of us in the same boat, which actually just added to the market share for the maverick.

Hyundai went more for the sport side of things than the truck market with the slight smaller bed, and the less truck like looks. I don't see their design really appealing to the truck market or a current or former truck owner, compared to the maverick design.

Kind of like the Ridgline compared to any midsize truck. The current SUV driver will love the Ridgline, but very few who drive a truck for its function will pick the Ridgline over another body on frame truck.

Ford's biggest competition is only going to come if the other companies get serious about a competitive SUV based model in the size of the maverick, possibly with a longer bed .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Women seem to prefer the look & price of the Ford Maverick. I would never assume that just because the Santa Cruz has a 'more polished and or modern look' to it that women would automatically prefer to buy that one. I don't think you're giving enough credit to women to be able to determine what they want, why, and whstprice they are willing to pay.
I had a brief stint in sales/marketing in the automotive industry in the 90's; mine is not a matter of "giving people credit;" women are astute consumers, oftentimes moreso than men. But...as I had mentioned in the opening post: I can see women in certain parts of the Country going for the Maverick, but as for the urban set, I see the Santa Cruz getting the nod.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
First and foremost, thanks to each and every poster who participated in this thread; I appreciate everyone's responses.

Next:

Late 40s Male, had three Rangers and didn't like the size of the new ranger. I think there's a bunch of us in the same boat, which actually just added to the market share for the maverick
Much agreed; the new Ranger is simply too big for most compact truck seekers; the Maverick is perfectly sized.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Escape
4 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.
I live in Nevada currently but will be moving to Florida in the spring. I currently drive a 2012 escape that I bought brand new. It’s been the best vehicle I have ever owned and will replace it with my hybrid xl. I don’t like imports! Even if they are built here in the U.S I would never drive one! The Maverick is a perfect fit for me with a great price for a disabled old lady. Have driven many fords in my life and I am staying loyal to them.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts