Ford Maverick Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.

Women seem to prefer the look & price of the Ford Maverick. I would never assume that just because the Santa Cruz has a 'more polished and or modern look' to it that women would automatically prefer to buy that one. I don't think you're giving enough credit to women to be able to determine what they want, why, and whstprice they are willing to pay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Late 40s Male, had three Rangers and didn't like the size of the new ranger. I think there's a bunch of us in the same boat, which actually just added to the market share for the maverick.

Hyundai went more for the sport side of things than the truck market with the slight smaller bed, and the less truck like looks. I don't see their design really appealing to the truck market or a current or former truck owner, compared to the maverick design.

Kind of like the Ridgline compared to any midsize truck. The current SUV driver will love the Ridgline, but very few who drive a truck for its function will pick the Ridgline over another body on frame truck.

Ford's biggest competition is only going to come if the other companies get serious about a competitive SUV based model in the size of the maverick, possibly with a longer bed .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Women seem to prefer the look & price of the Ford Maverick. I would never assume that just because the Santa Cruz has a 'more polished and or modern look' to it that women would automatically prefer to buy that one. I don't think you're giving enough credit to women to be able to determine what they want, why, and whstprice they are willing to pay.
I had a brief stint in sales/marketing in the automotive industry in the 90's; mine is not a matter of "giving people credit;" women are astute consumers, oftentimes moreso than men. But...as I had mentioned in the opening post: I can see women in certain parts of the Country going for the Maverick, but as for the urban set, I see the Santa Cruz getting the nod.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
First and foremost, thanks to each and every poster who participated in this thread; I appreciate everyone's responses.

Next:

Late 40s Male, had three Rangers and didn't like the size of the new ranger. I think there's a bunch of us in the same boat, which actually just added to the market share for the maverick
Much agreed; the new Ranger is simply too big for most compact truck seekers; the Maverick is perfectly sized.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Escape
4 Posts
I hope that we can keep this on topic, as I used to be in the automotive field, and marketing interests me:

Am I the only one wondering? With those explaining away the sales success of the Maverick, there's a lot of: "the Maverick appeals to urban buyers and women" sentiment out there, and I can see that, but only to a point.

I can see the Maverick appealing to women in certain regions in the country: the Southeast, the Heartland, and the Southwest. As for the rest of the country, if women and urban buyers find themselves in the market for a small truck, wouldn't they go for the Santa Cruz? The Santa Cruz' interior presents itself as being far more tech savvy, and polished.

Yet, when compared to the Maverick, the Santa Cruz' sales are down, and I would bet that Hyundai would have lost even more market share, if not for the fact that Ford can't meet the demand - especially on the Hybrid.

At the end of the day, I wonder what demographic is gobbling up the Maverick.
I live in Nevada currently but will be moving to Florida in the spring. I currently drive a 2012 escape that I bought brand new. It’s been the best vehicle I have ever owned and will replace it with my hybrid xl. I don’t like imports! Even if they are built here in the U.S I would never drive one! The Maverick is a perfect fit for me with a great price for a disabled old lady. Have driven many fords in my life and I am staying loyal to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am an older male, had full size Trucks most of my life. Now have an old Ranger XLT with the jump seat, 4L 4WD. B4 that, Silverado extended cab. Wife has an Equinox & I have a 2007 Mustang for fun.
Had been looking for a Mid-Size Colorado or Ranger for about a year but all the Crewcab 4WD we're used, lots of miles & $38 to $45 Thousand.
So the Maverick came along & perfect for me. Always wanted an AWD truck, plus Crewcab, & the towing package for travel trailer trips occasionally.
So looking forward to getting it, Carbonized Gray metallic XLT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be 60 in April. I have never needed a full size truck. Since 1989 I have been driving Jeep XJ Cherokee's and using a small utility trailer when needed. The size of the Maverick is all I need. Small bed is exactly what I want and need. I do wish it was rear wheel drive rather than front because I like the driving and handling characteristics of rear wheel drive better. I have considered mid size but my garage is short and they keep making mid size pickups longer and longer.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
352 Posts
I will be 60 in April. I have never needed a full size truck. Since 1989 I have been driving Jeep XJ Cherokee's and using a small utility trailer when needed. The size of the Maverick is all I need. Small bed is exactly what I want and need. I do wish it was rear wheel drive rather than front because I like the driving and handling characteristics of rear wheel drive better. I have considered mid size but my garage is short and they keep making mid size pickups longer and longer.
Mark, I had the same reservations about this Maverick. I ordered a Lariat FX4, tow pk, tool box, bed lights, full spare. It doesn't drive like a frontwheel drive. i don't know about the FWD models though... I really like this truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a male in my mid-40's. I bought the hybrid lariat first edition vehicle as a commuter / everyday driver because of its versatility, and fuel economy. I absolutely love that it fits in my garage, can carry mulch or a small trailer, and has a lot of modern safety systems. My son is almost 13, so the long-term plan is for me to drive this for 4 or 5 years and then give it to him to take to college. We'll know the history on the vehicle and it just seemed like a great car for starting out. We previously have owned full-size trucks or SUVs exclusively and still keep one in the family fleet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a 34 year old male, definitely surprised to be one of the youngest in the crowd on a Maverick forum. It's interesting reading about everyone's stories that led to getting a Maverick. As for me, I just sold my 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 that is lifted and Supercharged. So I'm kinda going all the way to the complete opposite side of the spectrum with the Maverick. But I'm excited. Sold the GMC last Friday and was lucky enough to find the exact spec Maverick I wanted on Saturday and bought it. Should be delivered in a few days. To me, the Maverick is something new and exciting combined with great practicality. It makes sense for my business and I just really love the design of this little truck. Also, the GMC at only 72k miles was about to really start costing me money with, hub bearings starting to go, steering being weird, the "Chevy shake" going on, and not to mention 10-13mpg hurts a lot these days (thanks Biden) so I can't wait for my new truck to get here!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts