Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, are there fellow forum members with a Ford Maverick on order and a reservation for a Cybertruck?

The Maverick was no where on my radar when I reserved my dual motor CT in Nov. 2019. I am excited about my hybrid Maverick being ready later this year.

I wouldn't expect the CT being made available to me until about 12 months later with the way things are going.

Given the difference in size, tow/payload capacity, and engine technology, the two would serve different needs for me.

It's an amazing chapter in automotive history right now. The types of vehicles becoming available are astounding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, are there fellow forum members with a Ford Maverick on order and a reservation for a Cybertruck?

The Maverick was no where on my radar when I reserved my dual motor CT in Nov. 2019. I am excited about my hybrid Maverick being ready later this year.

I wouldn't expect the CT being made available to me until about 12 months later with the way things are going.

Given the difference in size, tow/payload capacity, and engine technology, the two would serve different needs for me.

It's an amazing chapter in automotive history right now. The types of vehicles becoming available are astounding.
I have a reservation for an f-150 lightning. I am in the first 20K for it but I think I will probably end up canceling it if I like the Mav. The mav also was not on my radar at all when I reserved the lightning. When I first ordered the Mav I told myself I would also get the lightning because of the reasons, but now I have really started liking the idea of the Mav and keeping 40k$+.

The old 70's maverick cannibalized sales of the mustang. I wonder if the new hybrid will cannibalize f-150 lightning preorders and the awd fx4 mav will eat into ranger sales. I don't think it really matters to ford at this time of low production.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a lightning preorder. Cybertruck seems like vaporware still considering they still haven't finalized the body design, still only have the one prototype sitting on a Model 3 skateboard, and I don't believe they're actually going to use stainless steel to make the body. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I think I'll be driving my lightning far before the first Cybertruck is delivered.

Plus as any Model X, 3, or Y owner can tell you, avoid the first year of any Tesla. Lots of mistakes are caught by the first year owner and fixed before the second model year run.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The old 70's maverick cannibalized sales of the mustang. I wonder if the new hybrid will cannibalize f-150 lightning preorders and the awd fx4 mav will eat into ranger sales. I don't think it really matters to ford at this time of low production.
I would hazard a guess that most people interested in the Lightning wouldn't settle for a 4.5 foot bed and 4k towing max.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to have a Cybertruck reservation, but canceled it after putting in a reservation for the F-150 Lightning electric truck. It was easy to cancel once I navigated my way through my Tesla portal page. I still have the F-150 reservation, but will almost certainly cancel it and go all-in on the Maverick. I'd have a hard time fitting that F-150 into my garage!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was early to reserve a Cybertruck. Then I reserved an F-150 Lightning reservation about a month ago. I just cancelled the F-150 Lightning reservation because I ordered the Maverick hybrid today. I'm tempted to stay on the Cybertruck waitlist until it's time to order, just out of curiosity, but I have decided for sure on the Maverick. I didn't even know about the Maverick until yesterday, and today I registered online and completed the preview order at a dealership.

It feels like they designed the Maverick just for me: a current bare bones compact truck owner (2002 Ford Ranger) and luxury EV car owner who wants to combine the functionality of both vehicles into a single vehicle before the EV lease runs out; a "fifth percentile" female who can't easily unload a bigger truck; a city dweller who needs to be able to park in tight spots; a mom of teenagers who needs plenty of device chargers; and a DIY enthusiast who needs to be able to haul full size sheets of plywood and drywall. :geek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I considered getting a Lightning instead of a Maverick. My wife has an order for the Mach-E and it would be interesting if our family went all electric, but I decided the Maverick ticks all the boxes for me, is cheaper, plus will fit easier in our two car garage. Like kwaguchan I feel the car is made for me. It gets great mpg in city, perfect for LA traffic and SoCal gas prices. It has a roomy back seat which will accommodate my son's car seat. Plus I have enough bed space and tie downs to move bulky furniture or whatever else wouldn't fit in my hatchback. People complain that 4' isn't much, but I bet I can carry more than a mid size SUV if I'm creative enough with the tie downs. Only con is finding space for the dogs in case we take them plus our son camping. We'd have to get kennels for the bed.

The cybertruck still looks like a joke to me. I still don't understand what market they're trying to appeal to. People who generally want to pay the premium for Tesla products are all part of the crowd that floods the market with BMW and Mercedes SUVs. I can't see them owning a truck. Truck owners seem very traditional as far as looks go, so I don't see them wanting a Tesla. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I considered getting a Lightning instead of a Maverick. My wife has an order for the Mach-E and it would be interesting if our family went all electric, but I decided the Maverick ticks all the boxes for me, is cheaper, plus will fit easier in our two car garage. Like kwaguchan I feel the car is made for me. It gets great mpg in city, perfect for LA traffic and SoCal gas prices. It has a roomy back seat which will accommodate my son's car seat. Plus I have enough bed space and tie downs to move bulky furniture or whatever else wouldn't fit in my hatchback. People complain that 4' isn't much, but I bet I can carry more than a mid size SUV if I'm creative enough with the tie downs. Only con is finding space for the dogs in case we take them plus our son camping. We'd have to get kennels for the bed.

The cybertruck still looks like a joke to me. I still don't understand what market they're trying to appeal to. People who generally want to pay the premium for Tesla products are all part of the crowd that floods the market with BMW and Mercedes SUVs. I can't see them owning a truck. Truck owners seem very traditional as far as looks go, so I don't see them wanting a Tesla. I could be wrong though.
Kind of one of the reasons I cancelled my Santa Cruz order..... too car/suv like, I just like the Maverick design better for a truck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in a town full of high tech salaried people where it feels that every other car is a luxury vehicle and/or an EV. There are so many Teslas, BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. I think my son thought I was a bad mom because he wasn't gifted a BMW when he turned 16 and was only permitted to drive my old Ford Ranger. We also see a lot of luxury SUVs and luxury 4x4 pickup trucks, especially for people who want to tow recreational vehicles or go skiing. I think both the Lightning and the Cybertruck will be very popular here. I also think the Cybertruck will have a lot of luxury features in the base model price. At $39,900 - $10,000 EV tax credits, the single engine Cybertruck will cost about the same as the Maverick Lariat Hybrid and have more luxury features built in and room for 6 people. But most people will prefer the dual or triple motor options.

What I don't like about the Cybertruck is that the styling will stand out on the road and in my driveway, and I just don't want the attention. My kids prefer the styling of it over the Lightning and argue that it won't actually stand out too much in this town.

What I don't like about owning an EV is that, in my state, the license tab fees are ridiculous. I pay nearly $800/year to renew my tabs for a little Nissan Leaf that I only drive <5000 miles/year. They collect money to pay for roads and light rail from the gasoline tax. So if you drive an EV, they collect those funds from the tab fees. However, there is no discount for low mileage, so I think a hybrid might be a better choice for me.

What I will miss about driving an EV: just plugging in my EV when I get home and avoiding the gas station completely. No oil changes and little maintenance. And most of all, I will also miss not having arguments with my husband about how low I should let my gas tank get before filling up again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll believe the base model cyber truck at $39,900 when I see it, Tesla has been raising base model prices every few months over the past year. Also, Tesla no longer qualifies for federal EV tax credits. A base model cybertruck will be at least $5k more than a Maverick with every available option, probably more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll believe the base model cyber truck at $39,900 when I see it, Tesla has been raising base model prices every few months over the past year. Also, Tesla no longer qualifies for federal EV tax credits. A base model cybertruck will be at least $5k more than a Maverick with every available option, probably more.
That's true currently. There are some tax bills currently under consideration that will eliminate the limits on which car manufacturers qualify for the tax credits, so Tesla and Chevy Volt will qualify once again. And on top of the $7500, they will give additional $2500 for EVs made in the USA, and another additional $2500 for EVs made by union workers. So if that bill passes, in 2022, I would expect the Cybertruck to get $10,000 tax credits and F-150 Lightning to get $12,500 tax credits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kind of one of the reasons I cancelled my Santa Cruz order..... too car/suv like, I just like the Maverick design better for a truck
I agree love way the Maverick looks, also mileage range on Maverick with 500 miles appears to me over the ford lightning which is only 300 mile range and the worry of having to find a plug in if I took road trip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some of the comments surprise me to see what is being cancelled to order the Maverick. In the day of tracking all data, I wonder if Ford sees a trend of losing high profit potentials sales for the Maverick. I bet the focus groups and marketing research didn't see that trend, if it really comes to light. It is refreshing to see that mindset coming into play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts