1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
So they took a 12 month process and squeeze the down to a 12 week process ,that’s not impressive if you ask asked me . Why didn’t management start with , let’s see if we can cut the process down to 8 months and then for the next new model . Ask the same team of people if they could shave a little more time off the 8 month process . Ford has been building vehicles for over 100 years. So why take the process of developing a vehicles in a given time frame, and cut it by more then 75% ?
This sounds like a lot of Magic went into Mavericks development ! And I hope they didn’t forget anything, like in my in picture top left .

·
Registered
225 Posts
So they took a 12 month process and squeeze the down to a 12 week process ,that’s not impressive if you ask asked me . Why didn’t management start with , let’s see if we can cut the process down to 8 months and then for the next new model . Ask the same team of people if they could shave a little more time off the 8 month process . Ford has been building vehicles for over 100 years. So why take the process of developing a vehicles in a given time frame, and cut it by more then 75% ?
This sounds like a lot of Magic went into Mavericks development ! And I hope they didn’t forget anything, like in my in picture top left .
I believe the 9 months removed from the process is a stark exaggeration. It may take 12 months to create a project from scratch but not for one that has 90% of the parts off the shelf, including the frame. Have you seen the Hybrid engine bay and how it mirrors the Escape?

A company going quickly that isn't good at reliability doesn't sound that great, but I really don't think they cut all that much time off the project. They can pretend, as most "process improvement" methods, but really they didn't do anything spectacular.

·
Registered
2017 Escape, 2017 Ram 1500
122 Posts
It takes time to develop a model, and time for engineering the chassis, the suspension, the overall designs -- and don't forget, while it might be borrowed from the Bronco Sport/Escape, neither of them are a truck with its own unique challenges in structural rigidity and ability to meet government crash standards.
How many years did Hyundai take from the initial concept, to the approval of it, then to a viable/sellable version?
Yes, Ford has been building vehicles for over 100 years, and though it seems like many things should be a no brainer on how to produce, they still have issues with simple items like door latches; but structural integrity is a big item which takes time and shouldn't be rushed just to beat the competition to market.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Maverick 2003 Mini Cooper, Sold my 2015 Tundra after ordering Maverick HPR XLT
16 Posts
Did you see the movie Tucker?

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
312 Posts
When I was a young kid Ford had great reliability '60's. They started sliding in the seventies. Since then they have had some great vehicles, and then some fabulous WHOPPERS. I don't think Ford could stand to make anymore "whoppers" GM just screwed up their best thing they had, the small block chevy. Nissan screwed up their FWD 4 cylinder, etc etc etc. The corporations need to reduce their bean counting department by 99%. Put those dollars into the vehicles they produce, that in itself would save them BIG time. When FIAT took over Chrysler, Fiat alloted 150 to 250 dollars to each vehicle, to UPGRADE those horrible interiors they had. Mercedes STRIPPED everything out of Chrysler before they left it to die. I hope Mecedes reaps what they sow. They are crap cars now, like BMW, and Volvo. Chrysler had a brilliant history in it's past, just as Ford. lets all hope American auto companies see that substance and QUALITY aren't foreign to attributes to Ford. This Maverick or Bronco will be the first FORD product I purchased new. My all time favorite car is the 64 1/2 to 66 Ford Mustang. Just loved it as soon as it went on sale .... Just awesome car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In one of the interviews it seemed they were saying that a lot of the development time was cut simply because they didn't have to wait for approvals. The management team was intimately involved in the process and it kept moving and that is how the time was saved.
The engineering effort, testing, etc. was not changed.
Any of us who have worked in a corporate environment can appreciate how important this can be. Just getting a yes or a no can take weeks!

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
312 Posts
I guess what I meant to say.....is......Toyota has a good business model. I have never owned one, okay. Their products are the best per price in class going. ( reliability wise) So ... it's pertty simple to copy that Management Curriculum, Hierarchy, cost effectiveness, and execution. It's not ROCKET science on how to build a GREAT Vehicle. The more crap YOU produce, the more YOU lose. So FORD>>>>>hope this little Maverick is good for your sake. If not your doomed...like GM. (coming from a person who bought 10 new GM vehicles over my lifetime WHO will NEVER buy another). I have Big Bronco ordered, reserved July 20th 2020. The crappy Dealer actually ordered it in March of this Year.. Yet to be informed when I will get it. I have only had bad experiences since last summer with FORD dealers. I would like to buy this Maverick but I will not be played. i will keep my car and just pour my money into my Montego. I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler... But the Creep Jeep dealer here( the same one I bought my Challenger from) in SW FLORIDA think's people just can't live without them, so I bought my Last vehicle from them Sorry Dodge! Stellular or whatever.......I leave. So this is my warning to dealers, you can KEEP your over priced vehicles. I will drive what I have... I won't ever buy another vehicle from You. GREED will BITE your ash! Just sick of all of this. Sorry for the rant. just tired of BS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess what I meant to say.....is......Toyota has a good business model. I have never owned one, okay. Their products are the best per price in class going. ( reliability wise) So ... it's pertty simple to copy that Management Curriculum, Hierarchy, cost effectiveness, and execution. It's not ROCKET science on how to build a GREAT Vehicle.
Ford tried that. It was called Kai Zan or some other thing. They had people coming to ask the dealers talking about implementing the Toyota way, Kai Zan this, Kai Zan that.... Didn't really work.
Because you can't teach culture. You can teach about it, but you can't teach it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ford tried that. It was called Kai Zan or some other thing. They had people coming to ask the dealers talking about implementing the Toyota way, Kai Zan this, Kai Zan that.... Didn't really work.
Because you can't teach culture. You can teach about it, but you can't teach it.
Kai Zan is a stupid gimmicky process improvement technique. I’ve been part of one, the entire result was a waste of 5 million. There were no improvements made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts