Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get the Maverick because of the auto brake feature. Where I live gets foggy and sometimes idiots walk in the middle of roads in blind curves in the middle of no where. In the last year a Redwood fell and a few drivers died hitting it...Yeh, we also had one crush a car/couple as it fell. I know no brake feature would have saved them (most likely), but the other one I'd like to think it might have...so...

I've seen two Mavericks wrecked via forums now...so.... How do the auto brakes work? Does it shut off above a certain speed? Keep you from tailgating? I read somewhere a while back that they won't work over like 25mph. I'd like to think they would work far beyond that.

My Maverick will be a base XL hybrid.

Thanks if advance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I figure a google search might pop up an answer, hopefully. I had thought it will auto brake at speed if you are getting too close to something. Not meant to prevent hitting something per say and for sure not a fallen tree I would think nor maybe even a dog though google should tell us that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Clear as Mud lol…
Modern Ford vehicles can be manufactured with a system known as Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). The Pre-Collision Assist feature uses camera technology to detect a potential collision with a vehicle or pedestrian directly ahead. If a potential collision is detected, an alert sound is emitted, and a warning message displays in the vehicle’s message center. If the driver response is not sufficient, AEB will be pre-charged and brake-assist sensitivity will be increased to provide full responsiveness if the driver does brake. If there is no perceived corrective action and a collision is imminent, the vehicle’s brakes can apply automatically. By detecting the possible collision and actuating the braking system, it is possible to prevent some collisions and lessen the severity of others.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Clear as Mud lol…
Modern Ford vehicles can be manufactured with a system known as Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). The Pre-Collision Assist feature uses camera technology to detect a potential collision with a vehicle or pedestrian directly ahead. If a potential collision is detected, an alert sound is emitted, and a warning message displays in the vehicle’s message center. If the driver response is not sufficient, AEB will be pre-charged and brake-assist sensitivity will be increased to provide full responsiveness if the driver does brake. If there is no perceived corrective action and a collision is imminent, the vehicle’s brakes can apply automatically. By detecting the possible collision and actuating the braking system, it is possible to prevent some collisions and lessen the severity of others.
This is correct. My car has pre-collision braking. It is designed to detect obstructions at low speed, although it will definitely respond aggressively if it detects an immediate obstruction even at high speed.

For instance, on Wednesday, I was in town heading downtown at maybe 30-35 mph. Signal light maybe 300 yards ahead. Car in front of me unexpectedly stopped, and I was slow to react. Just as I realized what was happening, and in that split second, my car started beeping loudly. Simultaneously, a big red X popped up on my main display, and my car slowed pretty dramatically. By then, I was putting on brakes as well. Did pre-collision warning save my life? Nah. Did it save me from a rear end collision? Possibly. That's what pre-collision avoidance is built to do.

At highway speeds, adaptive cruise control generally comes into play first by slowing the car down to match the speed of the vehicle in front of me. But if a vehicle suddenly changes lanes in front of me and slows the ACC immediately brakes, then as I slow down, the pre-collision avoidance activates just before I hit whatever it is that made me slam on brakes. Will it keep me from hitting whatever's in front of me? Depends on available braking time. Nothing made today will stop a car going from 70 mph to 10 mph in 6 seconds. Will it help me? Yeah. Will it save lives? Maybe.

If you're driving in heavy fog, and you don't see the tree across the road, your accident avoidance might not work at all because the sensors can't see it either. Thank goodness for airbags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts