Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Registered
Maybe. But, I'm not convinced the additional drive modes add much in the way of capability. A skilled off-roader could likely achieve the same result.

Tow hooks are nice....on a proper off road vehicle, which the Maverick FX4 is not. For me, I don't see the Maverick as a credible off-road vehicle which calls to question the value and relevancy of the FX4 package. YMMV. 馃憤
I'm not buying a Mav FX4 because I want a hard-charging, go-literally-anywhere, rough and tumble offroader that'll take on the most difficult Moab trails. I'm buying one because I want a vehicle that will drive me and my family to a camping area a bit further off the beaten track, or tow an ATV trailer a bit further out, or tow a small boat or RV. Which means I need, essentially, underbody protection and better shocks. It doesn't matter that it can't handle boulder crawls, because it'll get me where I want to go just the same and be the vehicle I need closer to 100% of the time.

Think of the Mav FX4 as being akin to a Kawasaki Versys with dirt tires on it, rather than a KLR with knobbies. The KLR will do better on full dirt, but knobbies are godawful to ride on at highway speeds. The Versys will be less capable offroad, but much better to deal with day to day on city streets or interstates where a lot of Americans drive. They're both still compromised in one way or another, but it's about choosing the amount of compromise you're willing to accept.

Registered
I think $800 for the more premium screen in the dash (for XLT), skidplates, tow hooks, two extra drive modes, hill descent control, not including the overlap upgrades with the 4K package is a pretty good deal
And I'm not suggesting it's not a good deal. It just does very little to make the Maverick an "off-road" vehicle, despite what the stickers say.

Put another way, would the same FX4 package installed on an Escape make for an off-road vehicle?

It's really an odd package to be honest. By the time one gets to a point where fancy drive modes, skid plates, tow hooks, etc. are truly needed they shouldn't be shopping Maverick...

It's a poser package, sorry. Just MHO.

Registered
I'm not buying a Mav FX4 because I want a hard-charging, go-literally-anywhere, rough and tumble offroader that'll take on the most difficult Moab trails. I'm buying one because I want a vehicle that will drive me and my family to a camping area a bit further off the beaten track, or tow an ATV trailer a bit further out, or tow a small boat or RV. Which means I need, essentially, underbody protection and better shocks. It doesn't matter that it can't handle boulder crawls, because it'll get me where I want to go just the same and be the vehicle I need closer to 100% of the time.

Think of the Mav FX4 as being akin to a Kawasaki Versys with dirt tires on it, rather than a KLR with knobbies. The KLR will do better on full dirt, but knobbies are godawful to ride on at highway speeds. The Versys will be less capable offroad, but much better to deal with day to day on city streets or interstates where a lot of Americans drive. They're both still compromised in one way or another, but it's about choosing the amount of compromise you're willing to accept.
I understand. But, personally I don't think the FX4 package takes one any further down the trail than a regular Maverick AWD with tow pkg. (for $55 less oddly enough)

It will likely give many an sense of over confidence to go further than they should and subsequently get stuck though.

Registered
I understand. But, personally I don't think the FX4 package takes one any further down the trail than a regular Maverick AWD with tow pkg. (for $5 less oddly enough)

It will likely give many an sense of over confidence to go further than they should and subsequently get stuck though.
You're definitely right there. I get what you're saying about it being kind of a poser package, too. But I think you're underestimating what a simple set of settings can do in a vehicle where transmission shift points, steering response, throttle, and individual per-wheel braking capability can all be adjusted on the fly at the touch of a button.

Registered
The FX4 is lacking in the Maverick set up or as said above odd package. For where the Maverick goes off road the extra drive modes really arent needed IMO. If I was really in need of the extra drive modes I would upgrade to midsize with 4x4 due to usage of truck. If the FX4 included better shocks than what is already offered in the FX4package with body protection and a good upgrade in tires and tow hooks it would be more appealing than how it is set up now. The convenience of getting the extra add on the day you drive off the lot is worth it instead of aftermarket. For how the Maverick would be used to get just a little farther up the fire/forest rd or just around the corner to the better trout stream, the tires and shocks will do more than drive modes. Plus you still have your feet, accelerator and brake to copy the drive modes for where the Maverick will be going. The FX4 decal would be coming off my truck probably before I left the dealer lot.

Right now the XL, AWD, 2.0 with 4k is more appealing and equally capable. Then one can cut the plastic and install the tow hooks when they get home for the times you may get stuck. Once the tires wear thin you can upgrade the tires and shocks if needed.

It maybe me getting older and more frugal, but all these people driving FX4 offroad, TRD offroad etc trying to look like they live the overlanding life image, says to me why did you add $20,000 more to the price of your car not to ever use it?

Registered
The FX4 is lacking in the Maverick set up or as said above odd package. For where the Maverick goes off road the extra drive modes really arent needed IMO. If I was really in need of the extra drive modes I would upgrade to midsize with 4x4 due to usage of truck. If the FX4 included better shocks than what is already offered in the FX4package with body protection and a good upgrade in tires and tow hooks it would be more appealing than how it is set up now. The convenience of getting the extra add on the day you drive off the lot is worth it instead of aftermarket. For how the Maverick would be used to get just a little farther up the fire/forest rd or just around the corner to the better trout stream, the tires and shocks will do more than drive modes. Plus you still have your feet, accelerator and brake to copy the drive modes for where the Maverick will be going. The FX4 decal would be coming off my truck probably before I left the dealer lot.

Right now the XL, AWD, 2.0 with 4k is more appealing and equally capable. Then one can cut the plastic and install the tow hooks when they get home for the times you may get stuck. Once the tires wear thin you can upgrade the tires and shocks if needed.

It maybe me getting older and more frugal, but all these people driving FX4 offroad, TRD offroad etc trying to look like they live the overlanding life image, says to me why did you add $20,000 more to the price of your car not to ever use it?
^^^This.

BTW, I ordered the exact vehicle you described. It provides the best base from which to modify. If I had the FX4 package, I would immediately scrap most of it (stupid stickers, junk shocks, tires, maybe wheels too...dunno). I would have to evaluate the quality of the skid plates to see if I would scrap those too.

It seems to make more sense to go with the tow pkg for $55 less which gets one most everything they'd want from the FX4 package with increased towing capability, better durability from the trans cooler and shorter gear ratio which would seem more beneficial in an off-road setting than whiz-bang electronic nonsense. Some decent aftermarket tires and shocks and weld on your own tow hook wherever you want seems like it would actually improve capability in a meaningful way. For Maverick's intended audience, I'm not sure skid plates are even necessary. But, could be added later if truly needed, which they likely won't be for most.

While this would cost more than the FX4 pkg, you'd actually have something when you were done.

Registered
^^^This.

BTW, I ordered the exact vehicle you described. It provides the best base from which to modify. If I had the FX4 package, I would immediately scrap most of it (stupid stickers, junk shocks, tires, maybe wheels too...dunno). I would have to evaluate the quality of the skid plates to see if I would scrap those too.

It seems to make more sense to go with the tow pkg for $55 less which gets one most everything they'd want from the FX4 package with increased towing capability, better durability from the trans cooler and shorter gear ratio which would seem more beneficial in an off-road setting than whiz-bang electronic nonsense. Some decent aftermarket tires and shocks and weld on your own tow hook wherever you want seems like it would actually improve capability in a meaningful way. For Maverick's intended audience, I'm not sure skid plates are even necessary. But, could be added later if truly needed, which they likely won't be for most.

While this would cost more than the FX4 pkg, you'd actually have something when you were done.
That is awesome. Let me know what you think when you get it. You will be my test driver and builder. I agree that you probably don't need the skid plates and I would want to have a look underneath to see where under paneling protection is needed, if needed.

I would keep the wheels. They don't look bad and a little "overlander" Maverick with steel wheels left as is, painted, or plasti dipped brings back the old school Defender look. I miss the days off having your personality show some in your car.

Registered
I got the FX4 package because I want black wheels different than the stock xlt design, especially if I lease it. I could care less what anyone thinks about the sticker. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I got the FX4 package because I want black wheels different than the stock xlt design, especially if I lease it. I could care less what anyone thinks about the sticker. :ROFLMAO:

I like the stickers, I've considered ordering for example, the Z71 sticker to put on a truck that doesn't have the z71 package 馃ぃ Just because it looks cool. I might even think about getting a FX4 sticker if I get a non FX4 mav too. Call me dumb if you must. Fact is a lot of the value of the options packages on any truck to me are mostly just decals that look cool (for example, that STX decal on fords, just looks neat vs the work truck). You can order the stickers on Amazon. Of course for like 15 bucks IIRC. Gotta fund Bezos to space,

I'm unclear if the FX4 mav is lifted or not (seems I've read it both ways). If it is, then just putting the sticker on a non FX4 mav might look a little odd since it sits lower.

Putting the Fx4 sticker on a hybrid might feel a little weird, but on the 2.0/AWD I might get, less so.

Registered
I went with FX4 just to have a little extra capability. I don't intend on rock crawling this thing but will be good for a little mud :p

Registered
It would make sense for the FX4 to be a bit taller, since the most important part of offroad capability is geometry (approach, departure, and breakover angles). I suspect there'll be aftermarket lifts available, eventually, though. Only difference, if there is a factory lift on the FX4, is the CV shafts are then covered under manufacturer warranty.

Registered
I ordered the FX4 package, not because I want to go off reading, but because I plan to tune the MAV once the warranty expires lol and 800 bucks for better radiator and fan seemed worth it given all the other extras the fx4 package comes with.

Registered
You can also just remove the sticker which I plan to do lol cleaner look imo

Registered
Just to keep ourselves honest here... What are we looking for this mini truck to be? Especially within the Ford lineup.
Ford has stated that they do not think the Maverick will eat into Ranger, and definitely not F150 sales territory. The reason is intended use, and how they equipped it. If you are considering more than mild off-road use, Ford wants to push you into a Ranger. If you want to tow/haul a lot more, an F150. More "adventure?" Bronco sport Etc etc. Ford does not want to make Maverick as good or better than other Ford vehicles for these uses. What it should be better than, for light off road and payload/towing, that type of use is a Civic or a Forester etc.
Will mine be good enough for me? I hope so, and I think so. Will I be settling for less in some areas, definitely. But that is the intended use in the Ford lineup.

Registered
Just to keep ourselves honest here... What are we looking for this mini truck to be? Especially within the Ford lineup.
Ford has stated that they do not think the Maverick will eat into Ranger, and definitely not F150 sales territory. The reason is intended use, and how they equipped it. If you are considering more than mild off-road use, Ford wants to push you into a Ranger. If you want to tow/haul a lot more, an F150. More "adventure?" Bronco sport Etc etc. Ford does not want to make Maverick as good or better than other Ford vehicles for these uses. What it should be better than, for light off road and payload/towing, that type of use is a Civic or a Forester etc.
Will mine be good enough for me? I hope so, and I think so. Will I be settling for less in some areas, definitely. But that is the intended use in the Ford lineup.
Good questions. I am a forest rd/back country camper, fisherman, hiker and camper. I don't have an interest in collecting badges on the rad four wheeling routes etc I do hit some areas with deeper creek crosses and deep ruts from wash out. I do have an interest in doing some of the tamer overlanding routes. IE: Texas Hill Country route and Daniel Boone Forest route. I am torn between the Maverick XL, AWD and a 4wd base model midsize truck. The Maverick checks a lot of boxes but may come up short with some creek crossings/rutted out areas. If it is to a midsize truck the Ford Ranger isn't even on the radar with me due to better competition out there in the market at that price point.

I think Ford and other auto manufacturers will see that they have sorely ignored the compact truck market as the Maverick hits the street. Ranger will not see sales eat into at first but I wouldn't be surprise if it begins to happen with the fence sitters like myself. Due to oversizing of the Ranger and economics.

At the end of the day, it is good to see choices coming back to the truck market. It is getting harder and harder to find 1st gen toyota Tacomas and first gen Ford Rangers when I need a pickup.

Registered
We also have to consider that those who buy a truck and will actually do some off roading more than once every 2 years by circumstance, is what... 5 percent?
One of the best off roaders I ever had was a lifted Suzuki sidekick 4 door. Lightweight, short wheelbase, just enough power to turn 31's. When it wasn't breaking front differentials it was unstoppable. But it had a low t-case option. 馃槈
I think the Maverick will do well in most conditions. It's light-ish. Short wheelbase, etc. With a small lift and a better tire? Who knows. No low t-case will definitely be the biggest issue to really getting stuck, but hopefully the 2.0t doesn't need the extra gear reduction.
We will soon find out.

Registered
Suzuki sidekick was awesome. My best friend had a Suzuki Samrai 4 speed. It would go anywhere as long as it didn't tip over. We loved that thing.

The Maverick is a great choice for people looking at compact to midsize SUVs and a better option IMO. Heck the best "truck" for the masse is the Honda Ridgeline but it isn't getting any love. As my neighbor who has one says The Honda Ridgeline is the truck 90% of the truck buyers need, but 90% of the truck buyers don't want it.

If I can get another 1 to 1.5 inches lift on the Maverick w/out potential damage to suspension etc. I will pull the trigger on the Maverick with 4k towing for my off road teardrop. A pair of recovery boards and, maybe, a compact synthetic winch on the front bumper will get me out of 99.9% of places. That .1% is a place I shouldn't have gone into and it would be on me. Plus, I will still have $7500 in my pocket compared to the midsize truck.

Registered
The Honda Ridgeline is the truck 90% of the truck buyers need, but 90% of the truck buyers don't want it.
This reminds me of a particular case, but there are many more like it. Sorry if this is too off-topic.
Back in the mid 80's Yamaha was really finding it's stride as a manufacturer of snowmobiles. They thought they could really corner all potential buyers if they could just find the one product everyone wanted. So they spent a ton of money on focus groups and came up with the perfect sled everyone said they wanted: the 1986 Yamaha Inviter.
It was an abysmal sales disaster.
Toyota did a similar thing, it was called Scion.

When it comes to consumer products, moreso toys, people rarely buy what they need. The Maverick may be one of those rare products that fills the need; reliable, efficient transportation, and a want; a truck. We will have to wait and see!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts