Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am curious as to how much info you all have on the AWD system that comes on the Maverick..I currently have a Subaru Wrx Sti and am just wondering how it compares to that? I have seen people saying something about it only sending power to the front wheels unless it needs to prevent slippage..is this true? Is that only in a certain driving mode or all the time? I would hope that if I'm in sport mode, power is going to all 4 wheels, not just the fronts. I'm not a big fan of FWD vehicles honestly. Any insight is much appreciated. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this info..this is the system the Maverick is using correct? How Ford Intelligent AWD/4WD Works | Car Reviews Canada | New & Used Automotive News and Tips | | Go Auto
Sounds pretty nice actually..it really only uses the front wheels to save on fuel, but if I want to mash down on the pedal I won't experience any sort of wheel hop because it will instantaneously send power to the rears as well. Hopefully I'm on the right track here..? I've owned a Focus ST3 in the past and while it was a very nice car, the wheel hop during hard acceleration REALLY bugged me!

Registered
I have seen people saying something about it only sending power to the front wheels unless it needs to prevent slippage..is this true?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, only when needed. I notice if I floor it, the back wheels start to get some power. Maybe that means it's needed.?.?
I live in Chicago and have had the vehicle for 10 months now, including in the snow.
It seems fine to me overall.

Premium Member
I have an AWD equipped Maverick Lariat EB FX4 4KTow

If the intelligent AWD display screen is to be believed, it sends power to all the wheels on a pretty regular basis.

My observations when driving in 'normal' mode.

AWD always engages when going from a dead stop. Usually stops providing AWD around 15-25 MPH, depending on how much gas you're giving it. Won't usually give full power to the rear wheels except on heavy acceleration but it provides at least some.

The AWD will also kick in at higher speeds if you get a little pushy on the pedal. For mild or moderate acceleration at higher speeds it will generally continue to run in FWD.

While off roading I find that it sends power to the rear wheels pretty consistently. How much varies, but it doesn't just run in FWD.

I've seen videos of the Maverick FX4 outdoing a Subaru Outback Wilderness (which has a full time AWD system). It will give you AWD when you need it and from my experience - even when you probably don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts