Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would guess it is very similar to previous generations. They were easily removable; just a tab on each side that need to be released and out it comes.
I'll add that I really liked it in my old Ranger with a soft tonneau, more for a bed "collapser". In the stowed position it would keep items from sliding to the front of the bed if I ever had to hit the brakes hard. I could just flip down the gate and there was my stuff, no need to roll the tonneau up and retrieve it. But, in the Maverick with the flex bed, all I need is a 2X6. The extender part was rarely used in my case because if I hauled something longer, it was usually longer than the extender as well. Very limited situations where I could use it extended.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unless they just installed the bed extender mount on all of the preproduction Mavericks I've noticed they've pretty much all had the sockets near the tailgate for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unless they just installed the bed extender mount on all of the preproduction Mavericks I've noticed they've pretty much all had the sockets near the tailgate for it.
That's the way it was on the Ranger and Sport Trac: They all had the holes for the hardware, but didn't have the hardware attached. When I got mine for my Ranger I just went to the dealer and purchased the hardware which were a couple strikers, like a short version of the tailgate latch strikers, and grommets.
The new one on the Maverick does look different. I don't see any provision to lock it up or down like the previous generation. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would guess it is very similar to previous generations. They were easily removable; just a tab on each side that need to be released and out it comes.

Without the tonneau cover (which I'm not planning on paying for) I would be worried people would steal it when not in use. I also dont want to store in the garage as I hate garage clutter although I guess it's doable

I also get that comment about it being rarely useful. You'd have to have something exactly between 4.5 and 6 feet, and no more than looks about 18 inches? wide at the mid part, to use it. I struggle to think what exactly that would be. Maybe a couch?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Without the tonneau cover (which I'm not planning on paying for) I would be worried people would steal it when not in use. I also dont want to store in the garage as I hate garage clutter although I guess it's doable

I also get that comment about it being rarely useful. You'd have to have something exactly between 4.5 and 6 feet, and no more than looks about 18 inches? wide at the mid part, to use it. I struggle to think what exactly that would be. Maybe a couch?
I was thinking kayaks. My wife and son both have one and with the extender, they can bring their kayaks along for the ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking kayaks. My wife and son both have one and with the extender, they can bring their kayaks along for the ride.

What I'm saying is only the middle 12-18 inches get full 6 ft. So I dont know about two kayaks, maybe one...unless they are somewhat shorter than 6ft and can fit towards the sides.

I was wondering about 75" TV since it's something I could buy in the next couple years. Tv screen calculator shows a 75" Tv is 65" wide. 6 ft is 72", but then you have to add some indeterminate amount for packaging, and it's definitely not fitting on it's side. And you couldn't stand it up it will blow over. But you could prop it on the angled up tailgate in a semi inclined position maybe, do a good tie down etc.

Honestly fitting things in the smaller bed, those few times I will need too, could be kind of a fun minigame.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’m no expert but wouldn’t a couple cam or ratchet tie down straps be just as practical as a bed extender keeping bed items from falling out or just stabilized since there are so many tie down points?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts