Ford Maverick banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO, this model has great potential with the crew cab. They've said it will start below 20k. I'm pretty sure that means 19,995 plus destination charges of course, but still...pretty decent price for a 5 seater in any class. The bed is very reasonably 60" long. For comparison, the F150 has a 5.5' bed option, the ranger, tacoma, gladiator, and frontier beds are 5', the ram 1500 and nissan titan beds are 5'7", and the colorado bed is 5'1". I mean, if this bed is 60", it's right where nearly all the other trucks have options of that size. Granted, it surely won't tow or hold as much, but that's not really the point I think.
Where did you see that the bed is going to be 60" long? I haven't seen that in any of the articles that I've read so far although it's certainly possible that I missed something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't want to come across as being arrogant, but for a short time I sold cars.

The one thing I quickly learned: you can sell an old person a young person's car, but you can't sell a young person an old man's car. In other words, while an older customer might go for an Altima, you're not going to sell a young customer a car with wire wheels, white wall tires, and a hood ornament.

By the same token, as you noted, there's a demand for four door trucks. And while you can migrate a single person into a crew cab truck, it'd be a lot tougher to migrate a family of four into a regular cab truck.

It costs the manufacturer less to offer fewer configurations, so then it's up to the salesperson and marketing team to migrate perspective customers into whatever offerings there are.
I don't think you come across as arrogant at all, I also hope I don't seem arrogant or like a know it all. I always appreciate a friendly discussion on automobiles. You make some very good points and yes it definitely costs them less to offer fewer configurations unless each configuration sells in very large numbers. The F-150 is such a cash cow that they can offer it in endless varieties.

I know that you know all of this, and I know that Ford is going to build whatever is most profitable for them. But I don't like it :).

Seriously...I don't know how in touch marketeers are with prospective customers. Moreover, the consumer always has a "more is better" mentality, until they see the price tag. So Mr Marketeer reaches out to prospective customers, to determine what the market will bear in four years when the vehicle comes out:
The marketeer's are definitely not always correct and the reasons you specified are probably spot on. Quite a few years ago Ford (Mercury) thought they had strong demand for the Mercury Marauder and they anticipated sales to be around $20,000 units a year. But over two model years sales were dismal at around 10,000 total for both years. Ford at the time said their research showed that customers wanted a car like that but then no one bought them. I'm sure the price had a lot do with it. If Ford asked me if I wanted a GT500 I'd think, sure I'd love to buy one. Of course I don't have 90K to actually purchase one though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Didn’t read it anywhere, just speculating on the size per the pics and discussion above.
It's a shame, as well as surprising, that they put this forum together, gave us a little detail about the upcoming Maverick, and now the whole thing's been dropped.

·
Administrator
11 Posts
It's a shame, as well as surprising, that they put this forum together, gave us a little detail about the upcoming Maverick, and now the whole thing's been dropped.
We are an unofficial enthusiast group, reporting the latest news as soon as we hear it. Please share here whatever you find. Today brings new spy photos. Check it out: Maverick Engineers Go On a Chili's Run

The new batch of photos helps compare the Maverick vs. Ranger bed length. The Maverick is noticeably lower. Overall length and cabin sizes look similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really wish I had any photoshop skills to superimpose the two. I think you are right though, looks about the same-ish. Mav has a little sharper rake to the front windshield, maybe 4-6" lower?, smaller rims... Looks good. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For reference, Ranger's crew specs:
Wheelbase: 126.8
Overall length: 210.8
Overall height: 71.1
Curb weight: 4232
Bed length: 61
Payload: 1770
Max tow: 7500

Measuring the WB on that side by side, hub to hub looks identical. Tire size is different though. I'm feeling pretty confident the Mav has a 61" bed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We are an unofficial enthusiast group, reporting the latest news as soon as we hear it. Please share here whatever you find. Today brings new spy photos. Check it out: Maverick Engineers Go On a Chili's Run

The new batch of photos helps compare the Maverick vs. Ranger bed length. The Maverick is noticeably lower. Overall length and cabin sizes look similar.

View attachment 54
I didn't realize that this was a fansite; I somehow thought (hoped) that Ford was involved in some way.

The ground clearance on the Maverick is pitiful; look at Hyundai's offering:

https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/840x560/739000/800/739852.jpg

http://assets.trucktrend.com/upload...er-truck-spy-photo-7.jpg?width=660&height=495

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the Ranger FX4 package gives a little bump in height (springs/coils/shocks) -- I've always eye-balled the side mirror heights to compare.

Can someone (with the adequate Photoshop skills) draw a horizontal line from the Ranger mirror's top left to hover over the Maverick's top of its mirror? Then all of each can wing it on the estimate for drive heights

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think you come across as arrogant at all, I also hope I don't seem arrogant or like a know it all.
(I don't know how I missed this post the other day...)

In no way do you come across as arrogant, and I too, appreciate friendly discussions about automobiles. Hopefully, Ford will tune into our discussions, although I am afraid that their plans for the Maverick have already been cemented in.

Thus far, the ground clearance on the Maverick is an issue for me; the Bronco Sport can be ordered in a way that allows for 7.8 inches ground clearance (base), or 8.8 inches (Badlands):

The Maverick would appear to favor the suspension settings of the Transit van, as it sits a lot closer to the ground (5.7 inches). This might be intentional; does Ford want the Maverick to compete with the Ranger? Either way, since the Bronco Sport has some clearance, I am betting that there will be aftermarket solutions to bring the Maverick up to where the Bronco Sport is.

I do hope that Ford picks up the Maverick a bit; I can't imagine putting anything in the Maverick's bed, as it already sits too close to the ground.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts