Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, current Focus ST owner here thinking of adding a Maverick to the garage. Been shopping for a used truck for a bit and that's been a nightmare. When I heard about the Maverick I was immediately intrigued. I'm waffling back and forth on if I want to order one now or wait until dealers get inventory and shop around. Curious what everyone's experience has been like who has ordered. Glad to be here!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey everyone, current Focus ST owner here thinking of adding a Maverick to the garage. Been shopping for a used truck for a bit and that's been a nightmare. When I heard about the Maverick I was immediately intrigued. I'm waffling back and forth on if I want to order one now or wait until dealers get inventory and shop around. Curious what everyone's experience has been like who has ordered. Glad to be here!
I'd say its a split answer:

If you don't do towing and only need a truck for the bed, the Hybrid is a great option, and if you want one I would order one. Otherwise I would say you'll be waiting until minimum February or later to see any Hybrids on dealer lots (with the exception of the few units people order and don't buy.) Many dealers also are not really worried whether you end up buying the truck your order or not (unless absolutely everyone jumps ship), because they know they will be hot sellers. Due to this, even if you order you are not absolutely tied to buy it unless you get asked for a massive deposit. I had to provide no deposit for mine. This also gives you the option to lock in pricing vs dealer stock might get marked up a bit.

If you do plan on utilizing the towing and are looking at the 2.0T, I would suggest reaching out to several local dealers to see if they have any dealer stock units coming in already on order that you would be interested in. If they don't then ordering would not be a bad option. In this case ordering is not so much about getting on the long waitlist as it is about getting exactly what you want, as well as throwing yourself in line. Ecoboosts are getting scheduled over Hybrids almost 2-1, so as long as you steer clear of late availability items you may still be able to get a build date between October and end of November. I would call dealers within an 1.5 hour's drive radius first just to confirm, as some dealer stock may trickle in first and you could lock it down in advance. This isn't as much of an option for Hybrids since Ford is prioritizing Hybrids for retail orders.

My experience with my XLT 2.0T AWD Hot Pepper Red (other details in my sig) was pretty easy. I had originally reserved a Lariat Lux as of June 8, and within a few days to a week the dealer called me to ask if I wanted to come in and look at ordering. I said I would need a week or so as I was waiting on Santa Cruz pricing, and then I showed up July 16, and they answered my questions and gave me a price at MSRP for my revised build. They submitted it and that night I got a confirmation. Was scheduled as of last week. I went through my local dealer, but many are saving 2-4% off of MSRP (and some I believe off of invoice pricing) by working with some out of state dealers, but for me that wasn't worth the extra hassle.

So far, compared to waiting for 2 months with 2 Hyundai Santa Cruz "reservations" I was quite impressed with Ford's ordering process. The scheduling priority system could be a bit more transparent, as it appears to be a magic black box that takes in dealer volume, power train, color, and add-ons and just spits out random names.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you can find a dealer that offers a money-back deposit or does not ask for a deposit at all, there is really no reason to wait. You custom spec it how you want, the dealer takes delivery of it, you take it for a spin and either buy it, or not. The biggest advantages are that you get the exact truck you think you want, (within the parameters of Ford's build-and price tool) and the total cost should be right around MSRP. (Ask your dealer what fees will be added on). If you "wait until dealers get inventory and shop around", you will likely have to settle for a less-than-ideal truck and will almost certainly be paying a price that's marked up by at least $1000 over MSRP and maybe much more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How many dealers are doing 4% below msrp? Was there something special about the date 8/21 (maybe for cut off to order via the Ford ordering invite email system…I am guessing)?

Maybe could fly out somewhere west then drive the rest of the way to CA to see family. Bad part would be a very long drive back to Florida.

Though wish there was an AutoTrain to then be taken elsewhere to see some of the county on the way back. Would be cool to ride one in the mountains with those (I infer) glass roof sections. Need to google that info…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts