Ford Maverick Forum banner

Curious—-Any members know the real answer ?

9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  428PI 
#1 ·
Out of sheer curiosity, can anyone tell me why the color ‘ Area 51’ is called that? I used to have a friend that was lifer in the AirForce and he commuted (via plane) M- Fri from Riverside, CA (where I lived) to his job near Las Vega$ to what he termed Arear 51. He never talked about his job …ever.!! His wife said it was top secret and after 20 yrs they had been married she said she never knew what he did or anything g about this Area 51….he refused to talk about it! he once told her “ if I tell you—I’ll have to kill you!
Therefore, knowing that ‘tid-bit’ of info , I am curious about Ford’s choice of choosing this term to
for a Maverick color.
Anyone know?🧐

#2 ·
Not a clue, maybe just some good marketing a Ford for selecting that name. Possible by not giving the color an actual color name it adds a bit of mystique to it…a color without a color name…an unknown…like the true area 51 location. Besides, we now have been show images/videos of ultra fast moving objects. Maybe many of them happened around Area 51 else a alien crash there 30 years ago.

Part of me wants that color if I buy though I feel it will be hard to keep clean for some reason…more so then carbonized gray i am guessing. Silver just seems too plain for me now days.

#11 ·
I just arrived home from going to the Ford dealership in Folsom, CA. There was a brand new Ranger right in front of dealership….it had been purchased by the salesman who was answering my questions. The Ranger was CATUS GRAY….and I saw it in a different way in person …..was disappointed so didn’t submit my order just yet. I thought it would have more of a tinge of green in the gray but yet it doesn’t. overall I like the fact that it wasn’t metallic paint but instead the creamy look but it did just look like a light gray truck. I have had silver/ gray vehicles for 20 yrs and don’t want another so I’m now going to choose Aera 51…..I don’t really care for any of the other colors.
Disappointing.

#3 ·
I am thinking it looks like alien skin therefore the Area 51 name... A51 is the color I picked, I have seen a few Bronco Sports in A51 and it looks good to me. It always looks too blue in pictures, but in person it has more gray/blue look. I wanted to like Cactus Gray, but it looks too green in pictures and almost too white in person. The only other color I considered was Alto Blue, but wanted a lighter color and to keep cost down a little.

#6 ·
Out of sheer curiosity, can anyone tell me why the color ‘ Area 51’ is called that? I used to have a friend that was lifer in the AirForce and he commuted (via plane) M- Fri from Riverside, CA (where I lived) to his job near Las Vega$ to what he termed Arear 51. He never talked about his job …ever.!! His wife said it was top secret and after 20 yrs they had been married she said she never knew what he did or anything g about this Area 51….he refused to talk about it! he once told her “ if I tell you—I’ll have to kill you!
Therefore, knowing that ‘tid-bit’ of info , I am curious about Ford’s choice of choosing this term to
for a Maverick color.
Anyone know?🧐
Area 51 is the color you see in your mind's eye when you are taken to the underground facility after trespassing onto the base.

#7 ·
those of us in the defense and intel community are really not at liberty to confirm nor deny what may or may not have gone on, or may still be going on at area 51

personally, I am a little surprised that they allowed Ford to use that name - given their long-standing history of denying the area's existence.

#8 · (Edited)
for a Maverick color.
Anyone know?🧐
Area 51 Blue refers to the restricted air space above the real AREA 51. All restricted air space is marked on aviation charts in blue.
Blue was also the color of the first stealth bomber built in Area 51 the " Have Blue " later changed to the F117.

#22 ·
I bought my sons some Bianchi bikes for their first road bike and it was in the Celeste color they are known for. It has some military history too. Celeste – Bianchi Personlly, I ordered the velocity blue. My job is to test drive vehicles for a major used car company and a companion was going in the opposite direction in a Tacoma with the same blue color and I noticed him right away amongst all the whites, grays, silvers. It stood out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.