Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Hybrid, Lariat Lux on August 13. Production was complete April 30. My status changed to "shipped" and presumably my Maverick began it's journey from Mexico to my small, central MN dealer. It is now June 22 and still no truck, though according to Ford, it arrived in St. Paul around June 1.

My friend, who ordered the identical Maverick on August 27 from a larger MN dealer, received her Maverick on June 11. I called Ford on June 11 and was told my vehicle would arrive at my dealer between June 16 & 22. As of today, my dealer still has no word on its arrival, so I called Ford again and they said my delivery date is now July 23! Additionally, I have a coupon good for $750 off my Maverick that expires on July 5. Ford confirms they will not honor it after that date.

So I'm wondering:
-Do larger dealers get preference on custom orders? OR
-Is Ford delaying delivery on vehicles eligible for rebates?

It seems ridiculous that my Maverick will sit for nearly 2 months at a shipping center that is only 2 hours from my dealer. If this is due to preferential treatment for larger dealers, how will this bode for the hundreds of small, rural dealers in a future where it all new cars may be customer orders?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered a Hybrid, Lariat Lux on August 13. Production was complete April 30. My status changed to "shipped" and presumably my Maverick began it's journey from Mexico to my small, central MN dealer. It is now June 22 and still no truck, though according to Ford, it arrived in St. Paul around June 1.

My friend, who ordered the identical Maverick on August 27 from a larger MN dealer, received her Maverick on June 11. I called Ford on June 11 and was told my vehicle would arrive at my dealer between June 16 & 22. As of today, my dealer still has no word on its arrival, so I called Ford again and they said my delivery date is now July 23! Additionally, I have a coupon good for $750 off my Maverick that expires on July 5. Ford confirms they will not honor it after that date.

So I'm wondering:
-Do larger dealers get preference on custom orders? OR
-Is Ford delaying delivery on vehicles eligible for rebates?

It seems ridiculous that my Maverick will sit for nearly 2 months at a shipping center that is only 2 hours from my dealer. If this is due to preferential treatment for larger dealers, how will this bode for the hundreds of small, rural dealers in a future where it all new cars may be customer orders?
Honestly, I think it is rather random. I work for a small rural dealership. Larger dealerships get more orders, so they have larger allocation. It really depends on how many allocations a dealership has. And how many orders. And what random order the orders are looked at that particular week for scheduling vs what commodities are available.
Some of our orders have been delayed and I think, maybe it is because we are small. But other times we'll have the vehicle built and delivered astonishingly fast. Just luck / randomness in many cases.

There are massive shipping problems now. We are finally getting vehicles delivered that had been sitting at the plant for months. Shipping companies may be prioritizing larger dealers? They can deliver a full load of vehicles to one dealership, rather than having to stop at 3?

No, Ford certainly does not delay vehicles because of rebates. The rebate was probably good on any vehicle. The people shipping your Maverick don't have any idea about whether or not you have a rebate. We have tried to get them to extend some rebates for customers as well, but no luck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I can tell you that it's really hit or miss with shippers from the train terminal to the dealers here in Minnesota. Mine was only delivered, essentially, because whoever was managing the yard that day got tired of looking at it. It sat at the rail yard for over a month. As far as I know the dealers have no control over that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can tell you that it's really hit or miss with shippers from the train terminal to the dealers here in Minnesota. Mine was only delivered, essentially, because whoever was managing the yard that day got tired of looking at it. It sat at the rail yard for over a month. As far as I know the dealers have no control over that.
No, dealers can try and call the yard and get a certain vehicle prioritized, but I don't think it did any good. We tried a few times....and I only think it delayed it more!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I think it is rather random. I work for a small rural dealership. Larger dealerships get more orders, so they have larger allocation. It really depends on how many allocations a dealership has. And how many orders. And what random order the orders are looked at that particular week for scheduling vs what commodities are available.
Some of our orders have been delayed and I think, maybe it is because we are small. But other times we'll have the vehicle built and delivered astonishingly fast. Just luck / randomness in many cases.

There are massive shipping problems now. We are finally getting vehicles delivered that had been sitting at the plant for months. Shipping companies may be prioritizing larger dealers? They can deliver a full load of vehicles to one dealership, rather than having to stop at 3?

No, Ford certainly does not delay vehicles because of rebates. The rebate was probably good on any vehicle. The people shipping your Maverick don't have any idea about whether or not you have a rebate. We have tried to get them to extend some rebates for customers as well, but no luck.
Randomness will not be tolerated by customers with buying power. Organized businesses with exceptional customer service will and are surviving and thriving in this era of shortages. Though Ford has had a huge win with their Maverick, in general they are disorganized and completely unprepared for the future of auto sales.

·
Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
272 Posts
For deliveries of vehicles to dealers that were NOT pre-ordered, yes, large dealerships will get more, but pre-ordered vehicles should be delivered equally to all dealers as soon as they can be built.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Randomness will not be tolerated by customers with buying power. Organized businesses with exceptional customer service will and are surviving and thriving in this era of shortages. Though Ford has had a huge win with their Maverick, in general they are disorganized and completely unprepared for the future of auto sales.
I get what you are saying, but some degree of randomness is impossible to avoid. Orders are looked at by dealership in a random order each scheduling week, so that no dealership is "favored".

I understand that people would expect that similar orders submitted at similar times should be built around the same time, but there are other factors at play. How many other earlier Maverick orders each dealership has. What options these orders have. What allocation the dealership has. Which region the dealership is in (allocations are first spread out by region, then by zone, then by dealership). Ford is now giving out dealership allocation based on the age of the orders, but constrained items are still a major factor.

There certainly is room for improvement on Ford's end. Retail orders went from being a small portion of total orders to a large portion. I don't know the exact #s, but I wouldn't be surprised if overall retail orders increased tenfold in the past year or so. They obviously need to adjust their processes to better handle the much larger number of retail orders.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go to the dealer and finish the deal. You do not have to take possession for them to sell it to you. Mine was 'sold' 12/21, though I did not see it until 12/29, at which time I took possession.
IOW, do all the paperwork before it arrives. Write a clause concerning damage in transit and who covers anything found, and sign away.
tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
Go to the dealer and finish the deal. You do not have to take possession for them to sell it to you. Mine was 'sold' 12/21, though I did not see it until 12/29, at which time I took possession.
IOW, do all the paperwork before it arrives. Write a clause concerning damage in transit and who covers anything found, and sign away.
tom
What is the advantage of that? It takes two trips instead of one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is the advantage of that? It takes two trips instead of one.
The OP is nearing a deadline, and past that his finance options will be changed to an increased cost. If he closes the paperwork prior, he will lock in the financing that is to his advantage. That was part of the original post, along with his truck being stuck in a distribution center and holding up the closing.
Make an extra trip to the dealer is a low cost action. Waiting and paying a higher rate likely will cost more than a trip to the dealer over the life of the loan.
What part is difficult to understand?
tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
The OP is nearing a deadline, and past that his finance options will be changed to an increased cost. If he closes the paperwork prior, he will lock in the financing that is to his advantage. That was part of the original post, along with his truck being stuck in a distribution center and holding up the closing.
Make an extra trip to the dealer is a low cost action. Waiting and paying a higher rate likely will cost more than a trip to the dealer over the life of the loan.
What part is difficult to understand?
tom
Seems like you are counting your chickens before they hatch. That's all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems like you are counting your chickens before they hatch. That's all.
IF the vehicle does NOT arrive in good condition, then a written agreement covering that situation could avoid any controversy. The maker indicated the vehicle is awaiting shipment from a nearby distribution center to the small dealer lot. If there are few vehicles, current difficulty getting a car carrier to move the truck to the dealer seems to be causing the problem. What are the chickens? I do not see any eggs.
The only question I can see is pre-existing damage, or damage in transit from the yard to the dealer. That can be adjudicated IF it occurs, and agreeing upon responsibility beforehand should not be a problem.
The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is falling....
tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
What are the chickens? I do not see any eggs.
The only question I can see is pre-existing damage, or damage in transit from the yard to the dealer.
Worst case scenario, is transporter gets in a bad wreck, car carrier bursts into fire, and your Maverick is TOTALED. :eek:

I thought about ordering accessories ("bed rug", tonneau cover, steering wheel cover with orange accent) for mine BEFORE it is delivered, but when you do such things, "something" happens whereby you don't get it, or you die first, etc. o_O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts