Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang -

so anyone familiar with the Ford Focus & fiesta fiasco related to their CVT transmission will recall the inherent design problem within , followed up by the ford dealer network denying there was a problem, despite widespread transmission failures

I see the hybrid version of the maverick has a CVT transmission . Can anyone knowledgeable reassure me - or not, that this is in fact not the same or a similar design to the focus/fiesta disaster?

·
Registered
24 Posts
DCT and CVT are different transmission designs.

The Ford PowerShift that has been problematic in the Fiesta and Focus is a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission or DCT.

It is very different from the eCVT in the Maverick, which is different from belt-driven CVTs used by Nissan and Subaru.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DCT and CVT are different transmission designs.

The Ford PowerShift that has been problematic in the Fiesta and Focus is a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission or DCT.

It is very different from the eCVT in the Maverick, which is different from belt-driven CVTs used by Nissan and Subaru.
Well that is good. However, is this transmission new to the maverick or has there been successful heritage on a similar and recent vehicle? I am leery of ford given their disastrous response to a huge issue on the focus and fiesta.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe that the Maverick's hybrid powertrain is very similar to the Escape hybrid's, except that Ford is using a new design for the Maverick's electric traction motor.
See the MotorTrend article 2022 Ford Maverick: Why There’s No AWD Hybrid Version—Yet for more details.

Ford has years of experience with hybrids in the Escape, Fusion, and C-Max. Some of the early generations were not completely trouble-free.
Your concern about Ford's handling of the DCT transmission in the Focus and Fiesta is understandable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that the Maverick's hybrid powertrain is very similar to the Escape hybrid's, except that Ford is using a new design for the Maverick's electric traction motor.
See the MotorTrend article 2022 Ford Maverick: Why There’s No AWD Hybrid Version—Yet for more details.

Ford has years of experience with hybrids in the Escape, Fusion, and C-Max. Some of the early generations were not completely trouble-free.
Your concern about Ford's handling of the DCT transmission in the Focus and Fiesta is understandable.
“Not completely trouble free” is something of an understatement - lol. Thx for the link to the article , appreciated

·
Registered
75 Posts
On our hunt for a truck, I swore I would not get a ford based solely on the terrible experience with the transmission on the 2012 focus we have, was almost settled on saving for a Tacoma. And then they revealed this maverick...I'm in love... But really skeptical

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On our hunt for a truck, I swore I would not get a ford based solely on the terrible experience with the transmission on the 2012 focus we have, was almost settled on saving for a Tacoma. And then they revealed this maverick...I'm in love... But really skeptical

Yes, so you see my skepticism is not unshared - and I never even owned a fiesta!

makes me lean toward the 2.0 EcoBoost , which I drove in the sport bronco - much better than the 1.5 in my opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, so you see my skepticism is not unshared - and I never even owned a fiesta!

makes me lean toward the 2.0 EcoBoost , which I drove in the sport bronco - much better than the 1.5 in my opinion.
Oh I've already put in my order for a cactus gray XLT 2.0Ecoboost AWD with all four packages because this appeared at the perfect time in our saving and hunt but yep I'm really crossing my fingers that this one will be a hit and not a dud like those 2012ish focuses and fiestas. Hoping they have this one figured out instead of selling a transmission they weren't done designing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh I've already put in my order for a cactus gray XLT 2.0Ecoboost AWD with all four packages because this appeared at the perfect time in our saving and hunt but yep I'm really crossing my fingers that this one will be a hit and not a dud like those 2012ish focuses and fiestas. Hoping they have this one figured out instead of selling a transmission they weren't done designing.

The Maverick eCVT is planetary gear-based and very similar in design to the Toyota Hybrid eCVT used in their hybrids. I see Ford has announced that it will be included in the 8-year, 100,000 mile hybrid component warranty on the Maverick. So, who knows, it might even turn out to be more reliable than the 10-speed automatic. We'll see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Maverick eCVT is planetary gear-based and very similar in design to the Toyota Hybrid eCVT used in their hybrids. I see Ford has announced that it will be included in the 8-year, 100,000 mile hybrid component warranty on the Maverick. So, who knows, it might even turn out to be more reliable than the 10-speed automatic. We'll see.
You are probably all truck folks....but I come from a Toyota Prius. Yes, the Prius. You know...that reliable as hell, build like a tank, car that people love to hate. (y)

With that said, the eCVT in the Maverick is very, very, similar to the eCVT system pioneered and used in the Prius...and other Toyota hybrids.

So we have Toyota to thank for finally making people, especially 'truck people', actually believe that hybrids are something other than trash. And Ford even made the eCVT standard! Bold move, Ford...bold move. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi gang -

so anyone familiar with the Ford Focus & fiesta fiasco related to their CVT transmission will recall the inherent design problem within , followed up by the ford dealer network denying there was a problem, despite widespread transmission failures

I see the hybrid version of the maverick has a CVT transmission . Can anyone knowledgeable reassure me - or not, that this is in fact not the same or a similar design to the focus/fiesta disaster?
I read several articles on Mav that says it has new eCVT…..meaning the transmission is operating off of electric battery. This vehicle should should provide my favorite—jack-rabbit start-ups! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just read that the Bronco/Escape platform will be used for our MAVS!
Yup. The global Ford C2 platform (second generation global compact platform) is already used on the Ford Focus/Puma/Kuga (Europe, China, Australia), Bronco Sport (regular Bronco uses the revised T6 Ranger platform), Escape, Lincoln Corsair, and now the Maverick. It only makes sense they share that C2 platform. Thus, Maverick is a unibody, FWD-based vehicle, just like the other six. Most offer AWD as an option, depending on drivetrain. And by platform sharing, it helps Ford make that $19,995 price for the base Maverick.

Platform sharing is nothing new. Even my 2013 Volvo C70 retractable hardtop convertible is on the Focus C1 platform (first generation Ford global compact platform), designed in early 2000's when Ford owned Volvo. I call it the world's fanciest Focus. Ford has very few unique, un-shared platforms. The current Mustang is one exception that I know of, as is the Ford GT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup. The global Ford C2 platform (second generation global compact platform) is already used on the Ford Focus/Puma/Kuga (Europe, China, Australia), Bronco Sport (regular Bronco uses the revised T6 Ranger platform), Escape, Lincoln Corsair, and now the Maverick. It only makes sense they share that C2 platform. Thus, Maverick is a unibody, FWD-based vehicle, just like the other six. Most offer AWD as an option, depending on drivetrain. And by platform sharing, it helps Ford make that $19,995 price for the base Maverick.

Platform sharing is nothing new. Even my 2013 Volvo C70 retractable hardtop convertible is on the Focus C1 platform (first generation Ford global compact platform), designed in early 2000's when Ford owned Volvo. I call it the world's fanciest Focus. Ford has very few unique, un-shared platforms. The current Mustang is one exception that I know of, as is the Ford GT.
Correction - the Ford Puma is based on the Ford B3 platform (third generation global subcompact platform).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts