Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are some hesitations on the eCVT. I’ve been attempting to find if those fears are validated.

I have seen third generations Ford eCVT failures due to a bad bearing (read TSB/CMAX forum links below). This effected Fusions and CMAXs. The third generation was the first eCVT developed by in house by Ford. Their first two generations were made by Aisin.

If you care to see the progression of the technology please watch the video. Professor John Kelly is also looking to get a newer version of the eCVT, from the short pattern there is a new generation every 4 years meaning Ford would be on their 4th or 5th generation. Can anyone confirm this?

based off the video below of the eCVT and the TSB showing Ford has fixed the bearing issue I believe fears to be unwarranted.

bonus Hybrid Inverter

forums posts on the eCVT failures

TSB

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know there ar some hesitations on the eCVT. I’ve been attempting to find if those fears are validated.

I have seen third generations Ford eCVT failures due to a bad bearing (read TSB/CMAX forum links below). This effected Fusions and CMAXs. The third generation was the first eCVT developed by in house by Ford. Their first two generations were made by Aisin.

If you care to see the progression of the technology please watch the video. Professor John Kelly is also looking to get a newer version of the eCVT, from the short pattern there is a new generation every 4 years meaning Ford on their 5th generation. Can anyone confirm this?

based off the video below of the eCVT, the TSB that Ford has fixed the bearing issue I believe fears to be unwarranted

bonus Hybrid Inverter

forums posts on the eCVT failures

TSB
There are a awful lot of chips and IGBT's on those boards and that's not counting the chips on the control boards. That may account for the Hybrid production delays.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I personally would prefer to not deal with the warranty at all if possible. And the CMAX owners had theirs fail around 90-120k miles. Some got covered and some got a $4-7k bill.

Sad that those transmissions didn’t even make it to the first service. According the Ford Maverick the first fluid change for the eCVT is 150k miles, unless under “special operating conditions” (see page 442 of owners manual) than it is 30k intervals. Seems like Ford should stagger this like they do the oil changes too. If the car recommends oil changes more frequently I would also consider transmission fluid changes more frequently. For example instead of 10k intervals for oil it says 5k, cut the 150k to 75k for trans fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree. Since when did we as consumers go from buying well engineered and reliable products to buying warranties and extended warranties. Manufacturers just throw out a product with engineering screw ups or part defects and the consumer has to deal with all the inconveniences' while the manufacturer makes repairs out of the slush fund (we all paid into) they refer to as warranties.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree. Since when did we as consumers go from buying well engineered and reliable products to buying warranties and extended warranties. Manufacturers just throw out a product with engineering screw ups or part defects and the consumer has to deal with all the inconveniences' while the manufacturer makes repairs out of the slush fund (we all paid into) they refer to as warranties.
Ford's warranty appears to have shortened since I bought my Focus with 3yr/30k bumper to bumper and 10y/100k powertrain warranty. This might not be a great sign for Maverick durability over time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ford's warranty appears to have shortened since I bought my Focus with 3yr/30k bumper to bumper and 10y/100k powertrain warranty. This might not be a great sign for Maverick durability over time.
Many dealers offer 10yr/100k mile warranties with stipulations. As far as I know though, Ford powertrain has been 5yr/60k for a very long time. And the 3 yr 36k mile standard warranty has not changed either. The hybrid power system gets 8yr/100k miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
110k on my 2016 Fusion Hybrid, and zero issues with the eCVT transmission. I understand that its one data point, but I haven't heard them failing, not like the powershift transmission in the Focus and Fiesta

·
Registered
174 Posts
110k on my 2016 Fusion Hybrid, and zero issues with the eCVT transmission. I understand that its one data point, but I haven't heard them failing, not like the powershift transmission in the Focus and Fiesta
Exactly. Anecdotal, I know, but my father has a 2017 fusion hybrid with over 100k, bought on my recommendation and had had no issues whatsoever. Well, other than one of the rear shock absorbers went out at around 45k... But other than that, nothing. And he's not easy on cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I personally would prefer to not deal with the warranty at all if possible. And the CMAX owners had theirs fail around 90-120k miles. Some got covered and some got a $4-7k bill.

Sad that those transmissions didn’t even make it to the first service. According the Ford Maverick the first fluid change for the eCVT is 150k miles, unless under “special operating conditions” (see page 442 of owners manual) than it is 30k intervals. Seems like Ford should stagger this like they do the oil changes too. If the car recommends oil changes more frequently I would also consider transmission fluid changes more frequently. For example instead of 10k intervals for oil it says 5k, cut the 150k to 75k for trans fluid.
My wife has a Cmax 2016, the manual says to service the transmission at 60000 miles. Her car has 57,000 on it and will have serviced soon. We really like the car which is why I opted for the hybrid Maverick.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife has a Cmax 2016, the manual says to service the transmission at 60000 miles. Her car has 57,000 on it and will have serviced soon. We really like the car which is why I opted for the hybrid Maverick.
Thanks for the correction. I was comparing the service to the eCVT for the Maverick and wrongly assumed similar recommendations

·
Registered
180 Posts
Exactly. Anecdotal, I know, but my father has a 2017 fusion hybrid with over 100k, bought on my recommendation and had had no issues whatsoever. Well, other than one of the rear shock absorbers went out at around 45k... But other than that, nothing. And he's not easy on cars.
It was actually probably just the damper blocks the shocks mount into. Mine started a-knocking like two weeks after I ordered my Maverick. Going crazy taking apart the trunk thinking it was something around the HVB/rear seat, I finally tightened the nuts that mount the upper stud of the shock and blissful quiet once more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It was actually probably just the damper blocks the shocks mount into. Mine started a-knocking like two weeks after I ordered my Maverick. Going crazy taking apart the trunk thinking it was something around the HVB/rear seat, I finally tightened the nuts that mount the upper stud of the shock and blissful quiet once more.
No. It wasn't making noise, it was leaking like hell. I know because I changed them 😃.
But I will say those blocks make changing out shocks a breeze.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts