Ford Maverick Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Finished the first oil change on the Hybrid this morning at 2200 miles - couldn't have been easier. Nice to see that the lower cover is bolted up with T30 torx screws instead of using those crummy plastic clips.

View attachment 3883
What happened to 3k miles before changing oil? Is that old school now?
Finished the first oil change on the Hybrid this morning at 2200 miles - couldn't have been easier. Nice to see that the lower cover is bolted up with T30 torx screws instead of using those crummy plastic clips.

View attachment 3883
Why at 2200 miles? Was it run hard, dirty, or you just wanting something to do to it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Back in the day they recommended changing out the oil after 1000 miles on a new engine to clear out all of the fun metal confetti that gets made when a brand new engine is broken in. I believe they recommend doing that at 5000 miles for the Maverick, but old habits die hard. I can confirm that the factory oil filter is much smaller than the recommended replacement.
Why 2200 miles? Because that’s when I racked up over 1500 gas engine miles and had the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always felt like Valvoline was a bit thinner out of the bottle than other oils.
You actually want the thinnest possible (in the sae 20 range) for low shear (pouring) viscosity, and the most important viscosity for wear is the high-shear high-temp (HTHS) figure, which has a good value in the Valvoline.

I'm beginning to notice that Valvoline is going all-in on the amount of molybdenum (friction, to some extent also lowers wear) in their latest synthetic formulations, around 300 ppm, which is a lot. Valvoline SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil | The Petroleum Quality Institute of America Good to have lots of moly. You can choose Valvoline due to that.

On the subject of early oil changes on a new vehicle, I think its a good idea, although not completely necessary.

There is a lot of discussion on it elsewhere, and many have noted pieces of metal showing up inside cut-open used oil filters (on the first oil change), and spectral oil samples show high levels of iron & aluminum "dust" in the engine oil. Note that spectral analysis many times doesn't even get Fe or Al over 20 microns in size since they don't burn up fast enough in the lab test. Hyundai 26300-35505 OEM filter 3000km - Break-in metal shavings as one example of discussion of this.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts