Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time potential Ford owner so I have some initial questions and don't want the dealership run around so figured I'd ask here:
1. Are custom orders always allowed (ie I walk into my dealership and specify the exact color and options)?
2. Are there incentives on this or will there be? Not that the price is high but wondering if you need to negotiate or is that only possible for cars on the lot.
3. Will they estimate trade-in value now or is it better anyway to sell 3rd party?
4. If I don't need the truck asap, is it better to wait for 2023 models for new features or do you think they'll jack the price up?

I know some of those are hard to answer but curious what folks think.

And a truck specific question - can those XL standard wheels be painted black somehow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5. How committed is the order process if I order today? I like what I see and want to order, but until I get in one I won't know 100%.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First time potential Ford owner so I have some initial questions and don't want the dealership run around so figured I'd ask here:
1. Are custom orders always allowed (ie I walk into my dealership and specify the exact color and options)?
2. Are there incentives on this or will there be? Not that the price is high but wondering if you need to negotiate or is that only possible for cars on the lot.
3. Will they estimate trade-in value now or is it better anyway to sell 3rd party?
4. If I don't need the truck asap, is it better to wait for 2023 models for new features or do you think they'll jack the price up?

And a truck specific question - can those XL standard wheels be painted black somehow?
I'll try to answer 1-5 later today, but for the wheels, I've had really good luck with plastiDIP on wheels.

Black Wheel Kit - Plasti Dip® Your Rims! | DipYourCar – DipYourCar.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
5. How committed is the order process if I order today? I like what I see and want to order, but until I get in one I won't know 100%.

** I dont work at Ford or a dealership but so these answers are from personal experience buying and selling cars.

1) I believe customer orders are allowed.
2) Incentives usually include a **from dealer stock... as a help for dealers to move inventory.
- It's pretty uncommon for a brand new vehicle, maybe we can hope for some good lease deals as I'd guess the estimated 3 year residual values will be good.
3) Trade-in values are typically only good for 3-7 days, I just got two offers for my 2018 Sonata 2.0T and they both expired within a week and/or 300 miles. Good to get an estimate for budgeting.
4) Its possible the price will go up, the C8 corvette only stayed below $60k starting for 1 year. Also, really depends if the cost of raw materials continues to increase. But considering how the Maverick is pretty basic and ford has erased all it's sedans; I would think ford would keep it accessible for first time Ford buyers.
5) Ask your dealer if the deposit is refundable if not, ask if it can be transferred to another vehicle they sell (should you decide that it's not what you expected once you sit in it). My local Ford dealer also happens to sell Hyundai, I have a deposit on a Santa Cruz but it's transferrable to a Ford Maverick should I prefer that once they are released and on display. ** Also, I we don't even know the expected price for the Santa Cruz, it may not even be comparable on price.

Reactions: Supersonic

·
Registered
69 Posts
let's face it all, there is very little margin in these trucks, (REALLY? A HYBRID FOR UNDER $20K?).
I sincerely doubt there will be much of the usual "let me right down that price and talk to my manager" thing. I had a discussion with a Ford dealership owner last night. (I receive "A" plan) and he said even the plans (A,X,etc) will not have the usual (approximately 10%) discount. Maybe a good lease program later, but when you price out a new Maverick, it's an absolute bargain in today's world!

·
Registered
339 Posts

Welcome to the forum @sedonamav!

1) Based on the configurator you should be able to build your own truck.
2) Hard to say about incentives but it'll likely be on ones already on the lot, not on orders
3) It's usually better to sell third party for money but it always depends on how long it takes to sell.
4) The price could go up but I don't know if it'll make a difference for features or build quality.
5) Here's what Ford's reservation site says about the process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. My experience was with a Jeep pre-order years ago and I got it a few thousand below MSRP but I know every brand and dealership is different. And Hyundai didn't allow a custom order, just could look at the order books and move inventory around. Glad to see Ford offers custom orders.

Honestly I'm happy with the price as is and wish the price would be the same across the board.

Just deciding between this and a Cybertruck. 2 completely different trucks but a lot of unknowns about each. Santa Cruz seemed cool but think they'll miss the boat on pricing and hybrid/electric options.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From experience with my local dealership:
They will take your configuration and will search for it on a dealership lot first. This does avoid the wait if they can find it, but it can often add miles to the odometer before delivery. My Mustang came with 340 miles on it (it came from that far away), but it was a small price to pay to have it in 2 days rather than 6 weeks.

The devil is in the plan details. Ford's plan says: "Vehicles may be ordered from production or, if the dealer agrees, may be selected from the inventory of the dealership. " - Many dealerships extend this to order or 'trade' with other dealerships like they did with my Mustang.

But another manufacturer's plan I qualify for says: "Vehicles must be taken from dealer stock. No transfers or custom ordered vehicles qualify." This means you have to find one already on a lot somewhere and then travel to that dealership to get it under their plan. And their inventory search is awful.

My only question right now is: Does the Maverick actually qualify for X-plan? I see some people saying they ordered it under X-plan, but I don't see it as an available model on the partner site, so I can't get a B&P price for it under the plan right now. I heard they are reworking the program and tools, so this may just be an artifact of the current version not getting updates and the new version not being available yet, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Here is my take :

a) any configuration can always be ordered -
b) there are usually no incentives for a new model with demand - in fact, expect to see dealer mark ups
c) they will try to confuse you with the trade offer when you buy - that is part of their game . However, although you will receive less, you do t have to deal with the sell to private party adventure.
d) if you can wait a year - do so. No dealer mark ups, and possibly incentives - in fact the best strategy is to buy a leftover 2021 at end of year .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is my take :

a) any configuration can always be ordered -
b) there are usually no incentives for a new model with demand - in fact, expect to see dealer mark ups
c) they will try to confuse you with the trade offer when you buy - that is part of their game . However, although you will receive less, you do t have to deal with the sell to private party adventure.
d) if you can wait a year - do so. No dealer mark ups, and possibly incentives - in fact the best strategy is to buy a leftover 2021 at end of year .
This is why I advice people to do a few things:
1: Shop around when it comes to dealerships. A few hours making phone calls can net you dealerships that don't charge doc fees, prep fees, no ADMs, and may even sell below MSRP. There is a dealership 4 hours away from me that is selling Broncos below MSRP, no ADMs, doc fees half what they are locally, no prep fees, and they deliver. This alone saves around $3500 for people in my area which is why many switched their Bronco orders to them. (Dealerships in the same auto group here are charging $1000 ADM + $700 in doc fees).
2: Read up on the Four Square thing. Edmunds (Linked) and Consumer Reports (Linked) both have articles on how this is a numeric version of the "Three Card Monty" game. And once you understand it, you will see its basically a legalized scam. The best defense is to get an appraisal for your trade and preapproved for financing before you ever set foot in a dealership. Knowing your trade value and financing beforehand often ties the dealerships hands.
3: Use their game against them. You know how they always ask you to sign saying you want "this config at this price" somewhere in the process? Get them to sign the order sheet (its implied, but not guaranteed unless it has someone there sign it) on the price you pay before TTT and add-ons. This pretty much locks in the price. Where I live, if the ADM is NOT written on the build sheet and signed by both parties, they cannot add it later. The ONLY things that they can add over the price on the sheet is Tax, Title, Tag and doc fees. Other stuff like extended coverages, accessories, etc., are optional and require your consent.
4: Don't let them turn it into a hostage situation. I've seen dealerships block customer cars in the parking lot, and in one case appraise it but never bring it back out front to suggest you're now committed to the deal because your trade is 'in processing' before you agreed to sell it to them. Once they offer to appraise it, refuse to continue until your car is back out front and keys in your hand. If you walk away from the deal, they are obligated to give you back your vehicle and any attempt to withhold it to force you into the deal is against the law (at least where I live, it constitutes a form of "detainment for coercion" which is an illegal sales tactic that cost one owner both of his dealerships here a few years ago).
5: Verify the terms before you sign anything. Back to that Four Square thing - One of the tactics to 'lower the payment' is to extend the term at the same or 'nominally lower' rate, which also means more interest paid in the end even though the out of pocket monthly is lower. They often write this on the paper but don't call it out that you went from 60 to72 or 84 months. You can't say they didn't tell you because its there in writing to protect them legally even though they try to get you to not look at it. I personally go for the lowest interest rate paid regardless of payment, and if the payment is a bit much, I look into refi once I get home. And to refinance an existing loan you can often get better terms than what you were offered on the original loan since its moving an existing debt, not adding one.

And Kemosaabe is right: Watch market sales for end of model year and key waves (i.e buy convertibles in the fall since demand is low and so is price, sell in the spring - demand is high so you can get more), etc.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
312 Posts
All dealerships are different. You can order you Maverick as you deem you need. I worked for a Buick dealership many years ago. They were very reputable. They had clientele that bought new Buicks every year from them. (Years ago when cars were a whole lot cheaper) This a tricky situation we are all in now. Because of shortages. I have a Bronco ordered, and I got an e-mail from FORD sayin my Bronco will be a 2022, because I wanted the sasquatch package, and the hardtop. I placed a reservation for a Maverick last week. I heard from the dealer through an e-mail. (Maverick) I will have to contact them this Monday....I haven't had the chance to go to them. Now about pricing. Expect to pay MSRP. Unless you have X plan or some other option. Alot of GREEDY dealerships will stab people. They are the ones who also have FEES that add up to thousands. There are two dealerships in my area who advertise NO DEALER FEES! When you talk to your Ford dealer....ask for the OUT THE DOOR PRICE! Get it in writing. Get your own financing if you do that. Dealers get a kick back on financing. YOU pay for that as well! With used vehicle prices now......I would sell your vehicle outright. Don't show your vehicle at your home. Show it at some public place like a Wal-mart. Bring a family member or a friend in another vehicle, of course. See ID of person who is interested in your car. Ride along with the buyer, and that person ONLY! If they insist on their mechanic seeing the vehicle, take it there yourself. They can follow. Never accept a personal check. Cash or a Bank Money Order. or Cashiers Check. There are just so many creepy people anymore. There are some Ford Dealerships on-line that say they will honor this and that. Check them out. I'm sure they would be "OUTTED" if they lied. Just expect that any NEW vehicle is at it's cheapest....listed price. Dealerships do have the right to "adjust" the price as they see fit. If you are looking for the CHEAPEST price possible....you should maybe wait. New vehicles command prices. Always have. If you want your vehicle "AS" you really want it, order it. But you pay more for it. But it is EXACTLY as YOU want it. Otherwise settle for is on the dealership lot. Usually just basic stuff. The Maverick I reserved is a XLT with XLT lux pk, AWD, FX4, with a few other options. Only Ford knows how popular that combo will be. Manufacturers base the stock on the biggest seller of the model and ship those to dealerships to sell as lot vehicles. Electra 225's and Regals sold like crazy when I young and worked at that Buck dealership. So they had basic Regals and Electras for just stock at the lots. There could 100 Regals on the lot all the same but for color. Sorry for being so long in tooth. But you asked a difficult couple of questions. Basically...... IF, you want to buy a Maverick for the cheapest price, you might have to wait a while. (That base price Maverick is a steal today. If that CVT is any good) Then get what ever is out there. if that is okay with you...there you go. But I want certain options and colors. So alot of us are stuck. So.....be mindful, don't be an @#$% when you go to the dealership. Just ask for the lowest out the door price. If they won't say leave! 500 to 1000 dollars lost by a dealership adds up. But YOU have to understand too. Dealerships cost money to operate, and employ many people, who are mostly honest people. Be kind, be fair, and being a tight wad isn't always the best policy. The service your vehicle will need in the future, may come from that said Dealership, NO? So be fair.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One thing worth noting with trading in versus selling third party is depending on how sales tax works where you are then the value of the trade may come off the sum you are paying in sales tax. So if you buy a Maverick for 25k and have 10k trade-in value you may only pay sales tax on 15k so factor that difference in. If the car market stays like it is and it's a good condition trade you may get a respectable offer from somewhere like Carvana or Carmax, a copy of which you can use to negotiate on the value with the dealer.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
312 Posts
One thing worth noting with trading in versus selling third party is depending on how sales tax works where you are then the value of the trade may come off the sum you are paying in sales tax. So if you buy a Maverick for 25k and have 10k trade-in equity you may only pay sales tax on 15k so factor that difference in. If the car market stays like it is and it's a good condition trade you may get a respectable offer from somewhere like Carvana or Carmax, a copy of which you can use to negotiate on the value with the dealer.
Excellant statement Darnon! Thanx!

·
Registered
224 Posts
** I dont work at Ford or a dealership but so these answers are from personal experience buying and selling cars.

2) Incentives usually include a **from dealer stock... as a help for dealers to move inventory.
- It's pretty uncommon for a brand new vehicle, maybe we can hope for some good lease deals as I'd guess the estimated 3 year residual values will be good.
3) Trade-in values are typically only good for 3-7 days, I just got two offers for my 2018 Sonata 2.0T and they both expired within a week and/or 300 miles. Good to get an estimate for budgeting.
4) Its possible the price will go up, the C8 corvette only stayed below $60k starting for 1 year. Also, really depends if the cost of raw materials continues to increase. But considering how the Maverick is pretty basic and ford has erased all it's sedans; I would think ford would keep it accessible for first time Ford buyers.
5) Ask your dealer if the deposit is refundable if not, ask if it can be transferred to another vehicle they sell (should you decide that it's not what you expected once you sit in it). My local Ford dealer also happens to sell Hyundai, I have a deposit on a Santa Cruz but it's transferrable to a Ford Maverick should I prefer that once they are released and on display. ** Also, I we don't even know the expected price for the Santa Cruz, it may not even be comparable on price.
I was told by my dealership in Nor-Cal that the deposit IS 100% refundable….some are charging -500, some $100 others nothing. almost seems to me it would be unlawful to keep the deposit since we are not able to take car for test drive because they don’t have them on the lot yet. How can someone purchase a vehicle that they haven’t driven, they’re disappointed?

·
Registered
23 Posts

The $500 is refundable or can apply as down payment.
I would take the inactive and go to the dealership to order! I'm wondering why they haven't pursued you more aggressively!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts