Ford Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time potential Ford owner so I have some initial questions and don't want the dealership run around so figured I'd ask here:
1. Are custom orders always allowed (ie I walk into my dealership and specify the exact color and options)?
2. Are there incentives on this or will there be? Not that the price is high but wondering if you need to negotiate or is that only possible for cars on the lot.
3. Will they estimate trade-in value now or is it better anyway to sell 3rd party?
4. If I don't need the truck asap, is it better to wait for 2023 models for new features or do you think they'll jack the price up?

I know some of those are hard to answer but curious what folks think.

And a truck specific question - can those XL standard wheels be painted black somehow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5. How committed is the order process if I order today? I like what I see and want to order, but until I get in one I won't know 100%.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First time potential Ford owner so I have some initial questions and don't want the dealership run around so figured I'd ask here:
1. Are custom orders always allowed (ie I walk into my dealership and specify the exact color and options)?
2. Are there incentives on this or will there be? Not that the price is high but wondering if you need to negotiate or is that only possible for cars on the lot.
3. Will they estimate trade-in value now or is it better anyway to sell 3rd party?
4. If I don't need the truck asap, is it better to wait for 2023 models for new features or do you think they'll jack the price up?

And a truck specific question - can those XL standard wheels be painted black somehow?
I'll try to answer 1-5 later today, but for the wheels, I've had really good luck with plastiDIP on wheels.

Black Wheel Kit - Plasti Dip® Your Rims! | DipYourCar – DipYourCar.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
5. How committed is the order process if I order today? I like what I see and want to order, but until I get in one I won't know 100%.

** I dont work at Ford or a dealership but so these answers are from personal experience buying and selling cars.

1) I believe customer orders are allowed.
2) Incentives usually include a **from dealer stock... as a help for dealers to move inventory.
- It's pretty uncommon for a brand new vehicle, maybe we can hope for some good lease deals as I'd guess the estimated 3 year residual values will be good.
3) Trade-in values are typically only good for 3-7 days, I just got two offers for my 2018 Sonata 2.0T and they both expired within a week and/or 300 miles. Good to get an estimate for budgeting.
4) Its possible the price will go up, the C8 corvette only stayed below $60k starting for 1 year. Also, really depends if the cost of raw materials continues to increase. But considering how the Maverick is pretty basic and ford has erased all it's sedans; I would think ford would keep it accessible for first time Ford buyers.
5) Ask your dealer if the deposit is refundable if not, ask if it can be transferred to another vehicle they sell (should you decide that it's not what you expected once you sit in it). My local Ford dealer also happens to sell Hyundai, I have a deposit on a Santa Cruz but it's transferrable to a Ford Maverick should I prefer that once they are released and on display. ** Also, I we don't even know the expected price for the Santa Cruz, it may not even be comparable on price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
let's face it all, there is very little margin in these trucks, (REALLY? A HYBRID FOR UNDER $20K?).
I sincerely doubt there will be much of the usual "let me right down that price and talk to my manager" thing. I had a discussion with a Ford dealership owner last night. (I receive "A" plan) and he said even the plans (A,X,etc) will not have the usual (approximately 10%) discount. Maybe a good lease program later, but when you price out a new Maverick, it's an absolute bargain in today's world!

·
Registered
217 Posts

Welcome to the forum @sedonamav!

1) Based on the configurator you should be able to build your own truck.
2) Hard to say about incentives but it'll likely be on ones already on the lot, not on orders
3) It's usually better to sell third party for money but it always depends on how long it takes to sell.
4) The price could go up but I don't know if it'll make a difference for features or build quality.
5) Here's what Ford's reservation site says about the process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. My experience was with a Jeep pre-order years ago and I got it a few thousand below MSRP but I know every brand and dealership is different. And Hyundai didn't allow a custom order, just could look at the order books and move inventory around. Glad to see Ford offers custom orders.

Honestly I'm happy with the price as is and wish the price would be the same across the board.

Just deciding between this and a Cybertruck. 2 completely different trucks but a lot of unknowns about each. Santa Cruz seemed cool but think they'll miss the boat on pricing and hybrid/electric options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From experience with my local dealership:
They will take your configuration and will search for it on a dealership lot first. This does avoid the wait if they can find it, but it can often add miles to the odometer before delivery. My Mustang came with 340 miles on it (it came from that far away), but it was a small price to pay to have it in 2 days rather than 6 weeks.

The devil is in the plan details. Ford's plan says: "Vehicles may be ordered from production or, if the dealer agrees, may be selected from the inventory of the dealership. " - Many dealerships extend this to order or 'trade' with other dealerships like they did with my Mustang.

But another manufacturer's plan I qualify for says: "Vehicles must be taken from dealer stock. No transfers or custom ordered vehicles qualify." This means you have to find one already on a lot somewhere and then travel to that dealership to get it under their plan. And their inventory search is awful.

My only question right now is: Does the Maverick actually qualify for X-plan? I see some people saying they ordered it under X-plan, but I don't see it as an available model on the partner site, so I can't get a B&P price for it under the plan right now. I heard they are reworking the program and tools, so this may just be an artifact of the current version not getting updates and the new version not being available yet, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts