Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all is looking at being first time hybrid owners? So much to learn and can be overwhelming...not being able to open the hood and recognize or know what does what....maybe I'm to old or set in my ways to accept change

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look at photos of the engine compartments of the Hybrid and the EcoBoost and I'll bet you can't tell the difference!
Both have great big gas engines with intake manifolds and spark plug wires and radiators etc.
(The clue I look for: if I see a 12-volt car battery in the engine compartment, that's the EcoBoost. The hybrid's 12V battery is under the rear seat.)

When we got our RAV4 Hybrid last year the one thing I had to get used to was when I turn the key to the Start position I don't hear a starter motor. The only thing that happens is a "Ready" light turns on in the instrument panel.
When I shift to Drive or Reverse, that's when the engine starts (in cold weather) otherwise the electric motor gets me on my way.

It's not complicated. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Who all is looking at being first time hybrid owners? So much to learn and can be overwhelming...not being able to open the hood and recognize or know what does what....maybe I'm to old or set in my ways to accept change
All you have to do is put your foot on the brakes and press the "Start" button :) lol
SO much better in my Prius, than my F150...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All you have to do is put your foot on the brakes and press the "Start" button :) lol
SO much better in my Prius, than my F150...
Just trying decide if its best for me and driving i do...I don't live in big city...my commute is prob 60-70 miles day with not lot stop go...except when go to town...so dealer is like well need do the regenerative braking to charge battery so eco prob be best.. I'm like well thot whole idea of offering hybrid 1000+ ,cheaper was to draw in more hybrid customers.. sure makes it more affordable to someone like me

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I am not a first time hybrid owner, I thought I would pass along some personal experience. We have had a hybrid for 10 years. Avg mileage over that time is 56 mpg. Never needed any repairs whatsoever. Because of the individual manufacturer differences I expect the normal break in period for us as owners as we get used to the controls, displays, etc. But we have no concerns at all about getting a hybrid. Have been waiting for this for a long time, and watching every day for our email from Ford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just trying decide if its best for me and driving i do...I don't live in big city...my commute is prob 60-70 miles day with not lot stop go...except when go to town...so dealer is like well need do the regenerative braking to charge battery so eco prob be best.. I'm like well thot whole idea of offering hybrid 1000+ ,cheaper was to draw in more hybrid customers.. sure makes it more affordable to someone like me
Your dealer has no hybrids to sell you and doesn't know when he'll get one. I think that may influence the story he tells you, a story which belongs in the fiction section of your local library.

Yes, your hybrid will recharge the battery when you brake in stop-and-go traffic. It will also recharge the battery when you ease up on the gas to go down a hill. And it will recharge the battery where there are no hills or traffic lights, by running the gas engine whenever it thinks the battery needs recharging.

You do need an EcoBoost engine if you want All Wheel Drive, if you want to tow something heavy, if you want the best possible acceleration, if you like the exhaust note of a turbo-charged four, or if you like visiting gas stations. Otherwise the hybrid will suit you well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I am not a first time hybrid owner, I thought I would pass along some personal experience. We have had a hybrid for 10 years. Avg mileage over that time is 56 mpg. Never needed any repairs whatsoever. Because of the individual manufacturer differences I expect the normal break in period for us as owners as we get used to the controls, displays, etc. But we have no concerns at all about getting a hybrid. Have been waiting for this for a long time, and watching every day for our email from Ford.
Hoping it works out...i
Your dealer has no hybrids to sell you and doesn't know when he'll get one. I think that may influence the story he tells you, a story which belongs in the fiction section of your local library.

Yes, your hybrid will recharge the battery when you brake in stop-and-go traffic. It will also recharge the battery when you ease up on the gas to go down a hill. And it will recharge the battery where there are no hills or traffic lights, by running the gas engine whenever it thinks the battery needs recharging.

You do need an EcoBoost engine if you want All Wheel Drive, if you want to tow something heavy, if you want the best possible acceleration, if you like the exhaust note of a turbo-charged four, or if you like visiting gas stations. Otherwise the hybrid will suit you well.
So with more and more cars going hybrid and electric and rumors of future lithium shortages it makes you think how much they could stick you with in case you had battery issues...higher demand will mean higher prices if a shortage happens

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hoping it works out...i
So with more and more cars going hybrid and electric and rumors of future lithium shortages it makes you think how much they could stick you with in case you had battery issues...higher demand will mean higher prices if a shortage happens
Toyota has switched production of hybrid vehicles midyear from batteries made with lithium to batteries made with nickel metal hydride, and switched back again depending on cost and availability.

I expect new technologies to continue to reduce battery costs.

If you really don't feel good about buying a hybrid, there is nothing wrong with buying an EcoBoost-powered Maverick, and you'll be driving it long before I get my Hybrid XL. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never been a Ford owner nor a hybrid buyer. I can tell you that 191 horsepower in a 3500 pound vehicle is adequate as my 2017 CRV 2.4L non-turbo has enough acceleration for anything short of a drag strip. It has nearly the same weight and hp as the Maverick. I ordered the base model with XLT option specifically for the 40 mpg city rating and the ability to bring home an appliance or haul junk/recyclables. I do not need four doors or a back seat so that is my only objection. I expect other manufacturers to follow suit and build a similar vehicle or they will be left in the dust by this gem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who all is looking at being first-time hybrid owners? So much to learn and can be overwhelming...not being able to open the hood and recognize or know what does what....maybe I'm to old or set in my ways to accept change
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, and the Boogie Man. I have had two hybrids over the last 15 years, the first was a Nissan Altima, and the second was a Fusion. The Ford system was much better than the Nissan, but there was a 7-year difference,2007 Altima vs 2014 Fusion. Once you get used to how the Hybrid drives you will like it a lot. Pleanty of power when you need it, instant torque with the electric motor. Enjoy....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts