Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y. I have a Rivian on order (Nov 29th, 2018) I also have solar on my house and a Tesla Powerwall Battery for back up. I live in PA near Trenton, so my sun exposure is medium. My electric bill is almost nothing, they charge me $10.00 a month to manage my account. Then I sell back to the grid and make about $35 per month on average. I set my Tesla to start charging from 12.01 am to make use of the lowest rates. It starts by using my Powerwall and the grid at the same time and I'm usually charged up in a few hours.
I have not needed any gas for ages and can only smile as I see the gas prices go up.
EV's are here to stay and soon will be the majority of vehicles sold, so get used to it. That can only mean less and less ICE cars will be sold, making several gas stations go out of business. When gas prices start being $7 to $10 per gallon by 2025 or so, it's really going to hurt. $25 a gallon by 2030.
With all the EV startups and EV's coming from China and elsewhere, charging is going to become an issue. Elon has seen the writing on the wall, and has started building Tesla charging stations like crazy. 30,000 Additional stations and they will have 150,000 stations by the end of 2023 I think. So when you see these gas stations on every corner start disappearing, that's when you will see Tesla charging stations everywhere. He will then open it up for all EV manufacturers to be able to use Tesla's stalls. Elon said he will add a small premium to non Tesla cars using the Tesla stalls.
A brilliant move from the worlds richest man. Tesla will absolutely have the monopoly on charging! Think about it! Worth Billions, if not Trillions by 2030.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree EV will certainly increase in numbers going forward. I don’t agree on your timeframe of gasoline prices or the timeframe of the extent the US will turn to EV’s. The prices of EV’s will have to drop extensively before the largest segment of the population will be able to afford them. Until that happens they won’t take over the automotive industry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would GUESS that you've got close to $45k invested between the Solar Install (32k seems like the average for a 20kw system) and the Powerwall (13k). A large investment and its good that you feel you are reaping a return on that investment. There is the argument that not everyone can afford this; and the argument that people cannot afford not to (future increases in per Kw electricity rates).

I think the power grid needs serious investment (applaud you for doing your part) before it can handle everyone using it for transportation. In many markets the system is overwhelmed during heat waves... with less than 2% of registered vehicles being fully electric... what happens when 50%+ of vehicles need to get charged...

We will be burning coal again...

Reactions: Toddio12

·
Registered
23 Posts
Elon is a corporate welfare queen who treats his workers like trash and made his millions billions on government contracts and carbon credits. Then he has the audacity to moan like a child when asked to pay taxes. I'm 100% in favor of the movement toward EV and strengthening the electrical infrastructure, but the worship he gets its sickening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y. I have a Rivian on order (Nov 29th, 2018) I also have solar on my house and a Tesla Powerwall Battery for back up. I live in PA near Trenton, so my sun exposure is medium. My electric bill is almost nothing, they charge me $10.00 a month to manage my account. Then I sell back to the grid and make about $35 per month on average. I set my Tesla to start charging from 12.01 am to make use of the lowest rates. It starts by using my Powerwall and the grid at the same time and I'm usually charged up in a few hours.
I have not needed any gas for ages and can only smile as I see the gas prices go up.
EV's are here to stay and soon will be the majority of vehicles sold, so get used to it. That can only mean less and less ICE cars will be sold, making several gas stations go out of business. When gas prices start being $7 to $10 per gallon by 2025 or so, it's really going to hurt. $25 a gallon by 2030.
With all the EV startups and EV's coming from China and elsewhere, charging is going to become an issue. Elon has seen the writing on the wall, and has started building Tesla charging stations like crazy. 30,000 Additional stations and they will have 150,000 stations by the end of 2023 I think. So when you see these gas stations on every corner start disappearing, that's when you will see Tesla charging stations everywhere. He will then open it up for all EV manufacturers to be able to use Tesla's stalls. Elon said he will add a small premium to non Tesla cars using the Tesla stalls.
A brilliant move from the worlds richest man. Tesla will absolutely have the monopoly on charging! Think about it! Worth Billions, if not Trillions by 2030.
Based on current oil production (See Link 1 below), oil production is not likely to significantly drop off any time soon. As long as production continues its current trends, we wont see $7 a gallon gas prices in the continental US for a long time. Most of the gas price hikes we're seeing today is due to covid supply chain issues (See Link two below). That article basically says that big oil producers have the oil to produce, but are acting slow to produce (Possibly due to staffing issues?). I also expect local refineries and local shipping has a part to play in the current gas prices which are still lower than they were pre 2008.

I whole heartedly agree that EV's are the future and I cant wait to buy my first EV. But its not going to be this year. I dont even think it will be necessary to buy an EV in the next ten years, so long as current oil production holds. Perhaps new technologies will be discovered and battery prices will finally start to plummet. Either way, most of the larger auto manufacturers are all saying they will stop producing gas burners by 2040. I think that is a realistic time frame based on past technological advances. Considering the first Toyota Prius was introduced to the USA around 2000 and seeing where we are today about 20 years later, we have great things to look forward to!

Also, kudos to you NOBE for setting up your house on Solar. I hope this technology also becomes available at a more affordable price in the next 20 years.

1) Global oil production in barrels 2020 | Statista

2) Why are gas prices so high? And who is to blame? - Poynter

·
Registered
167 Posts
Based on current oil production (See Link 1 below), oil production is not likely to significantly drop off any time soon. As long as production continues its current trends, we wont see $7 a gallon gas prices in the continental US for a long time. Most of the gas price hikes we're seeing today is due to covid supply chain issues (See Link two below). That article basically says that big oil producers have the oil to produce, but are acting slow to produce (Possibly due to staffing issues?). I also expect local refineries and local shipping has a part to play in the current gas prices which are still lower than they were pre 2008.

I whole heartedly agree that EV's are the future and I cant wait to buy my first EV. But its not going to be this year. I dont even think it will be necessary to buy an EV in the next ten years, so long as current oil production holds. Perhaps new technologies will be discovered and battery prices will finally start to plummet. Either way, most of the larger auto manufacturers are all saying they will stop producing gas burners by 2040. I think that is a realistic time frame based on past technological advances. Considering the first Toyota Prius was introduced to the USA around 2000 and seeing where we are today about 20 years later, we have great things to look forward to!

Also, kudos to you NOBE for setting up your house on Solar. I hope this technology also becomes available at a more affordable price in the next 20 years.

1) Global oil production in barrels 2020 | Statista

2) Why are gas prices so high? And who is to blame? - Poynter
The problem is how do we generate all the power to charge these EV's. Wind power and solar won't generate enough power. The environmentalist won't allow anymore nuclear plants. The only thing left is fossil fuel. As humans we always back ourselves into a corner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The problem is how do we generate all the power to charge these EV's. Wind power and solar won't generate enough power. The environmentalist won't allow anymore nuclear plants. The only thing left is fossil fuel. As humans we always back ourselves into a corner.
I think we should be investing in Thorium reactors (Thorium - World Nuclear Association). This would be a great option while we wait for fusion reactors to go online (https://whyy.org/segments/fusion-energy/). Now I know both forms of power are highly speculative and I can hear many of you saying 'we'll never get there'. However, in less than 100 years, human went from pooping in a bucket to being able to travel to the moon. I think we are capable of developing the necessary technology this century. I just don't have as much faith in our global leadership in implementing the technology.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think we should be investing in Thorium reactors (Thorium - World Nuclear Association). This would be a great option while we wait for fusion reactors to go online (https://whyy.org/segments/fusion-energy/). Now I know both forms of power are highly speculative and I can hear many of you saying 'we'll never get there'. However, in less than 100 years, human went from pooping in a bucket to being able to travel to the moon. I think we are capable of developing the necessary technology this century. I just don't have as much faith in our global leadership in implementing the technology.
Great idea and so is COLD FUSION that's been in the works for 40 years. Unfortunately it will take another 100 years to realize a better way to generate power. According to all the main stream media we will be dead in 10 years. India and China's smog cover is as thick as Los Angeles was in the early eighties and not likely to change anytime soon.

Just a reminder it takes 10 years to build and bring a Nuclear Plant on line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great idea and so is COLD FUSION that's been in the works for 40 years. Unfortunately it will take another 100 years to realize a better way to generate power. According to all the main stream media we will be dead in 10 years. India and China's smog cover is as thick as Los Angeles was in the early eighties and not likely to change anytime soon.

Just a reminder it takes 10 years to build and bring a Nuclear Plant on line.
Which is why we need to start on these Thorium reactors today. I have more faith in our technology, and less faith in our leaders' ability to implement the technology.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last time I checked, approx. 80% of electric power in the US was generated by non-renewables. Unless you have a solar system, you are charging your electric vehicle largely with oil, coal, and natural gas. This balance will shift, but it is going to take time. While we wait, we get higher gas prices not only because of a pandemic that has crippled the labor/transportation market, but through self-inflicted gov't actions like shutting down pipelines and crippling domestic energy production. Oil production and import/export stats could be debated from various perspectives, with the pandemic skewing 2020 numbers, but US oil imports have gone up significantly.

Don't get me wrong, I do think all electric is going to happen at some point. It will happen when infrastructure and technology support it. Until then, I guess you can save a few bucks with an EV, with a few "if's" attached. IF the price point for the vehicle over an ICE proves to save $$ over the life of the vehicle. IF electricity costs do not spike, or IF you have solar. BTW, I have looked at the cost of a SolarCity/ Tesla (same company) home solar system and if you leased one, good luck. Maybe dive deep before going the lease route. A purchase is likely the better option.

Lastly, at this point in time, if you think you are saving the planet by driving an EV, think again. If the 80% non-renewable stat is not enough, do some research on the elements used in auto batteries, mining practices and the environmental impact, the % of dead batteries that are recycled v. dumped in landfills, and of course there are costs associated with moving those batteries from China, and often back to China to a landfill... which is currently more common than a recycle facility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts