Ford Maverick banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had 3 of the old Rangers and I still have my 2003 Ranger. I really really really hope there is a two-door extended cab version. A tiny bed, four door version just does not do it for me. (Same comments for the Santa Cruz; it looks like it will be four door, tiny bed.) Maybe I will need keep my old Ranger for another few years.

Ford has not been doing very well the last few years. They are mostly follow-the-leader, trying to make one size fit all, and making very few people happy. They do the F-150 (and larger) rather well, but the list stops there. There seems to be a large, waiting market for a compact truck, but not for a sedan with a tiny bed tacked on the back.
I still have my 2001 Ranger for the very reasons that you listed.

I was unhappy that Ford moved the Ranger onto a midsized platform, but, in the beginning of the Ranger's development, I remember reading that they were going to make the Ranger a less expensive truck, which would appeal to people looking for a base work truck. But then somewhere along the line, they decided that there wasn't enough profit in the overseas two door model, so they shucked that idea. The Colorado was priced at 20-21k, so Ford thought that they could move the Ranger to the mid 20's by installing a more powerful powertrain.

I wonder what it'd cost to rebuild the Ranger's ten speed automatic.

'Don't worry,' said Ford, 'we're gonna bring out a truck and slot it below the Ranger.'

Great.

But now as the prototypes have come out, we're seeing a sedan with a tiny bed tacked on the back.

Not so great.

If Ford screws up the Maverick, I might be forced into a Ram 1500 Classic; I don't want a full sized truck, but I do want a functioning bed, and I do not want a turbocharged engine. The new F150 starts at 30k, and that price point is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nissan is also finally updating the beyond ancient Frontier next year. So I'm hoping between Maverick, Santa Cruz & Frontier that at least one of them will suit my needs & wants for a small pick up.
The Frontier is going to be based off of the Titan platform; the standard powertrain is a thirsty 3.8L V6. If you're looking for a smaller sized thrifty pickup, the Frontier may no longer enjoy the slot it used to occupy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Frontier is going to be based off of the Titan platform; the standard powertrain is a thirsty 3.8L V6. If you're looking for a smaller sized thrifty pickup, the Frontier may no longer enjoy the slot it used to occupy.
That is very true, the Frontier powertrain is not exactly fuel efficient. Unfortunately it may come down to customers having to decide which features are more important and making a decision on that before buying a small truck. For instance someone might want a longer bed and therefore they have to sacrifice some fuel efficiency. Hopefully by early next year we'll have a lot more information all three trucks and we can start comparing the pros & cons of each of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I seem to recall that the prior Frontier design, being absolutely ancient when it comes to design turnover, had long surpassed the R&D bill. Even though it wasn't a huge seller, the margins on that truck were probably pretty large, meaning that there could be a good amount of bank for R&D for future designs, if they played it right. I can't remember where I read it, but I thought the new Frontier was moving up in size and they were splitting off the Navan badge for a smaller class of truck. If that were true, the Maverick will have competition. I'll try to find the source. It was half a year ago or so I read some such thing.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts