Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new and this might be answered or in the wrong place but I couldn't find anything so here we go.

Is there any information on how the FWD will do in the snow both loaded and unloaded? I'm assuming unloaded it's the same as a car but loaded (37 bags of mulch) would take the weight off of the drive tires creating less traction. So do we know anything on its snow performance?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you get 4 winter ie snow tires it will be good in the snow. I live in Reno and spend the majority of the winter back and forth to Tahoe, I had a VW Jetta SW TDI that did great for 4 years and never got stuck (wth winter tires). With the configurations that are available now, I would opt for the FWD with Hybrid motor over the 2.0 4WD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have lived in Minnesota my entire life and have never felt the need for anything other than FWD. Frankly, it's the tires that make the most difference. I see many AWD vehicles, 4wd trucks, etc...in the ditch every winter and that makes it very clear who didn't invest in good winter tires. (y) Unfortunately, folks spend a lot of $$$ on their vehicles...and tires are the last thing on their mind...until it is too late.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've owned FWD vehicles in the past, and my current EcoSport is AWD. This past winter was the worst I've seen here, and the AWD handled it like a champ. I lived in Upstate NY for ten years (Army and civilian life) and drove FWD for myself up there, in worse winters. For work I also drove AWD, FWD, and a 4x4 Ranger. The AWD Subarus handled 6-10 inches of fresh snow covering roads, at 60mph with no effort. The FWD Focus did well, aside from a couple of icy days. And the Ranger was what I drove when the snow was coming down so hard, cars were stopped and buried on the interstate spur. I knew I'd have to skirt around them, so the clearance was welcome.

I'll be moving back to Texas soonish, and while I don't anticipate a lot of snow, my property this past winter got more than the annual average precipitation just in snow. AWD plus the FX4 package for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put radial snow tires on just the front of my 2012 Focus for winter driving. I had a job that had me driving all over new Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, new York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and new Jersey, mostly in the winter. I often drove through the biggest snow storms, and never got stuck, or felt I might not make it.
Antilock brakes and traction control took care of the rear wheels being normal radials, I just made sure the newest tires were on the back.
A loaded bed in the maverick would make the vehicle handle slippery roads better, as long as you kept your speed reasonable

·
Registered
2017 Escape, 2017 Ram 1500
122 Posts
For snow there is not replacement for a dedicated snow tire. As others have alluded to, the only thing between you and the road are those four patches of the tires that contact the road; tires are one thing you shouldn't skimp on if traction, handling, and braking are all criteria of importance to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWD with good tires, and the weight of the truck is significant so that's ok in the snow. And don't forget the technology it gonna make better than before. With snow mode. Like when you need to get out of the parking lot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts