Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to pre-order the new Maverick but I’m torn on whether to get front wheel drive or all wheel drive I’ve never owned a 2 Wheel Dr. truck before but they’ve never made one in front I’ll drive so this has torn. any input?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you live where it snows a lot or you drive off-road a lot, AWD is nice. But if it's occasional snow and infrequent offroading, the AWD system in the maverick isn't the most sophisticated, it's primarily FWD and sends power to the rear if it detects slip through a single speed transfer case. Definitely not worth the upcharge for me here in Florida, you might be able to get through a snowy winter pretty easily with FWD and good snow tires.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it all depends where you live. I live in Reno NV and ski a lot (100 days/year) so I am in Tahoe a ton. You would think I NEED 4WD but I woudl get this in FWD and invest in 4 proper winter tires. I made it though 4 winters with a FWD VW TDI wagon and never got stuck.
but they’ve never made one in front I’ll drive
Yes, there were FWD Truck(lettes), Dodge Rampage, VW Rabbit Truck, Subaru Brat was FWD when 4WD wasn't engaged. I am sure there were some others offered in other markets that I am unaware of.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never needed 4WD on our Ram 1500 in Texas, and FWD shouldn't be an issue as the vehicle is long enough that weight transfer shouldn't be a huge deal and you have more weight over the front tires most of the time than the rear.

In the Maverick, AWD isn't just getting power to the rear wheels but also changing the rear suspension setup from a twistbeam with fancy springs to an IRS. It doesn't have vectoring tech though like Honda's super handling AWD where the AWD can help tighten the turn radius, but rather is meant to drive in FWD most of the time and then engage the rear wheels when there's enough slippage.

The only thing I don't think anyone can tell you is how well torque steer is managed when flooring it from a stop (if you see yourself doing that much), as I believe the Escape 2.0 ecoboost is only available in AWD, ditto on the Bronco Sport.

Part of the rabbit hole for me was if I was going to go with ecoboost, I might as well get the tow package, and now I'm already looking at $4K extra and running premium fuel and using quite a bit more of it, and the expense can start making keeping our existing Ram that's already paid off more attractive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are still not sure. AWD is a no cost option because you will always get that money back at resale time. Plus you get the use of it. Now, if MPG is a concern, the Hybrid is a helluva deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are still not sure. AWD is a no cost option because you will always get that money back at resale time. Plus you get the use of it. Now, if MPG is a concern, the Hybrid is a helluva deal.
Source?

Searching by me, here's two virtually identical 2019 Ford Ranger XLTs (same equipment and within 4K miles of each other on odometer):

4WD: Autotrader - page unavailable
$35,777

RWD: Autotrader - page unavailable
$35,900

Usually you get 50% of an options original MSRP value back if lucky, so a car with a $1500 sunroof option at point of resale might bump it $700 in value, usually more like $500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone verify the need for 93 octane on the 2.0 Ecoboost? If this requires 93, I will likely change my order. My dealer said no, but I have seen a couple of people say yes,

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live on the MA/NH border, over near the ocean. Born here, grew up here, and almost 50 now. We get tons of snow but I've never owned a 4WD or AWD vehicle in my life. I've probably driven RWD trucks like the three Rangers I owned, or my current 2WD frontier, more than the the FWD focuses I drove into the ground.
For ten of those years I lived in Maine. I put four good snow tires on my 2WD ranger and drove an hour each way to work.
My 2012 Focus had traction control and ABS, I put snow radials on the front and whichever regular tires had the best tread on the back, and drove all over NH, ME, VT, NY, RI, CT, MA, PA, and NJ all winter long for my last job.
If the maverick has FWD, ABS and traction control, it will go just about anywhere with a good set of snow radials on the front, throw a bag of cat litter and a shovel in the bed for the rare times you get stuck, and you'll never need to worry.

If the AWD system is really only needed for those who live where it snows every day, all winter. My sister lives in Lake Placid, NY and it snows there almost every day during the winter, you need AWD or 4WD up there, or chains.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live on the MA/NH border, over near the ocean. Born here, grew up here, and almost 50 now. We get tons of snow but I've never owned a 4WD or AWD vehicle in my life. I've probably driven RWD trucks like the three Rangers I owned, or my current 2WD frontier, more than the the FWD focuses I drove into the ground.
For ten of those years I lived in Maine. I put four good snow tires on my 2WD ranger and drove an hour each way to work.
My 2012 Focus had traction control and ABS, I put snow radials on the front and whichever regular tires had the best tread on the back, and drove all over NH, ME, VT, NY, RI, CT, MA, PA, and NJ all winter long for my last job.
If the maverick has FWD, ABS and traction control, it will go just about anywhere with a good set of snow radials on the front, throw a bag of cat litter and a shovel in the bed for the rare times you get stuck, and you'll never need to worry.

If the AWD system is really only needed for those who live where it snows every day, all winter. My sister lives in Lake Placid, NY and it snows there almost every day during the winter, you need AWD or 4WD up there, or chains.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Totally agree with you regarding 2wh drive (rear or front drive) and good snow tires. I lived in PA most of my life before moving to TX but i have to praise two snow brand tires I experienced…Vredestein and Gislaved ( both Scandanavian) because I worked for a Volvo dealer. These tires got me thru A couple of good blizzards like a knife thru soft butter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
it all depends where you live. I live in Reno NV and ski a lot (100 days/year) so I am in Tahoe a ton. You would think I NEED 4WD but I woudl get this in FWD and invest in 4 proper winter tires. I made it though 4 winters with a FWD VW TDI wagon and never got stuck.

Yes, there were FWD Truck(lettes), Dodge Rampage, VW Rabbit Truck, Subaru Brat was FWD when 4WD wasn't engaged. I am sure there were some others offered in other markets that I am unaware of.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Phil, happy to see ya on this Maverick forum. Gotta beef though, your spelling of trucklet. He he. I ordered a FWD/hybrid XLT last week. Trading an Audi Q3 I picked up in Palm Springs few years back when my Audi trans started banging, ouch. Hope all’s good in Pugski land, take care and will look ya up if I’m ever in your Reno/Tahoe area. I’m meeting Kelly Coghill and sons later this summer they’re coming down to see a COTA race.
bob hoff

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Phil, happy to see ya on this Maverick forum. Gotta beef though, your spelling of trucklet. He he. I ordered a FWD/hybrid XLT last week. Trading an Audi Q3 I picked up in Palm Springs few years back when my Audi trans started banging, ouch. Hope all’s good in Pugski land, take care and will look ya up if I’m ever in your Reno/Tahoe area. I’m meeting Kelly Coghill and sons later this summer they’re coming down to see a COTA race.
bob hoff
I thought that might have been you. Was going to PM you.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hey hey! I'm in Reno as well! I opted for the AWD version because I was a bit scared on how well the FWD would handle in steeper off-road areas. It took me a lot of back and forth to decide, and I was disappointed they wouldn't offer the FX4 package with the hybrid. I'm worried they're gonna offer an AWD hybrid in the next year model and that I'll have jumped the gun too soon on buying.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey hey! I'm in Reno as well! I opted for the AWD version because I was a bit scared on how well the FWD would handle in steeper off-road areas. It took me a lot of back and forth to decide, and I was disappointed they wouldn't offer the FX4 package with the hybrid. I'm worried they're gonna offer an AWD hybrid in the next year model and that I'll have jumped the gun too soon on buying.
If you are going off road, getting the AWD makes total sense. I am not. Will they offer the AWD with Hybrid? Good question, if they did and the MPG stayed in the mid 30's, I would step up to that. But I don't think NOT offering it will cost them one sale year one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are going off road, getting the AWD makes total sense. I am not. Will they offer the AWD with Hybrid? Good question, if they did and the MPG stayed in the mid 30's, I would step up to that. But I don't think NOT offering it will cost them one sale year one.
Probably show up along with a plugin hybrid in a mid-cycle refresh.

The logic of FWD only for the hybrid is likely that in cold climates hybrids don't do as well, as the batteries aren't as efficient when cold, the engine isn't constantly running to produce heat, and because its not always running during its cycle it may not even get up to operating temperature in cold climates by the end of the drive. Furthermore, the hybrid uses a port injection fuel delivery system, and because at very cold temperatures the gasoline can thicken slightly and not atomize as well, further reducing economy.

So the hybrid is likely meant for regions that don't have long winters or much of a winter at all, where most would be well served by the lighter weight, less cost, less friction, and less complexity of FWD, which can handle the traction needs of its smooth and lower power levels.

The AWD by contrast pairs well with the Ecoboost for similar reasons, as that engine will always be running to stay warm, the turbocharger adds heat into the oil and they are actually more efficient in the cold as the intercooler to cool down the heated up compressed air works so much better and as its direct injected the super high pressures mean atomization is a non-issue, and most people notice that their turbo cars actually feel like they are so much quicker when its cold out and the engine is up to temp (and visa versa, they can be pretty bad in sweltering heat). The Ecoboost also has less smooth power and more of it, so to reduce torque steer and handle the traction, especially in areas that may get snow and ice for a significant amount of time, the Ecoboost/AWD combo makes a lot of sense. People in those cold climates may also be at higher altitudes, and as such the turbocharged engines work even better as they operate about the same a mile high as they do at sea level, as the thinner air compresses to the same boost one way or another.

But for me, I'm in Houston, TX right at sea level with warm to hot weather pretty much year round, so the hybrid FWD just makes sense. If I were up in Denver, CO though then I'd probably go ecoboost AWD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can anyone verify the need for 93 octane on the 2.0 Ecoboost? If this requires 93, I will likely change my order. My dealer said no, but I have seen a couple of people say yes,
Your dealer isn't lying, just being misleading.

No modern engines that recommend 91+ octane require 91+ octane. The knock sensors are very sensitive and will simply richen the fuel mixture and reduce timing and the like until the ping stops, at the cost of a little bit of fuel economy and horsepower. Some manufacturers like Mazda will even publish two different figures, one for 87 octane and one for 93 octane, like their new 2.5T drops from 250hp on 93 to advertised 226hp on 87.

If you ask your dealer "what does the user manual recommend for the ecoboost", now you'll get an honest answer from them which is 91+ octane. If you use 93 octane, you'll get the best fuel economy and horsepower possible from that engine.

Also note that how much a difference 93 octane can make will depend on conditions and use, because all the higher octane does is make the air/fuel mixture less likely to ping. If its unusually hot outside or you're driving hard and revving the engine out or under high loads like towing, then the better octane should make a big difference and you're less likely to get carbon fouling (which can be an issue on a direct injection engine like the ecoboost). If its January and you're going cross country on cruise control and not towing anything, just put in 87 octane because the engine is under so little load and its so cool out that you likely wouldn't be able to tell a lick of difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Probably show up along with a plugin hybrid in a mid-cycle refresh.

The logic of FWD only for the hybrid is likely that in cold climates hybrids don't do as well, as the batteries aren't as efficient when cold, the engine isn't constantly running to produce heat, and because its not always running during its cycle it may not even get up to operating temperature in cold climates by the end of the drive. Furthermore, the hybrid uses a port injection fuel delivery system, and because at very cold temperatures the gasoline can thicken slightly and not atomize as well, further reducing economy.

So the hybrid is likely meant for regions that don't have long winters or much of a winter at all, where most would be well served by the lighter weight, less cost, less friction, and less complexity of FWD, which can handle the traction needs of its smooth and lower power levels.

The AWD by contrast pairs well with the Ecoboost for similar reasons, as that engine will always be running to stay warm, the turbocharger adds heat into the oil and they are actually more efficient in the cold as the intercooler to cool down the heated up compressed air works so much better and as its direct injected the super high pressures mean atomization is a non-issue, and most people notice that their turbo cars actually feel like they are so much quicker when its cold out and the engine is up to temp (and visa versa, they can be pretty bad in sweltering heat). The Ecoboost also has less smooth power and more of it, so to reduce torque steer and handle the traction, especially in areas that may get snow and ice for a significant amount of time, the Ecoboost/AWD combo makes a lot of sense. People in those cold climates may also be at higher altitudes, and as such the turbocharged engines work even better as they operate about the same a mile high as they do at sea level, as the thinner air compresses to the same boost one way or another.

But for me, I'm in Houston, TX right at sea level with warm to hot weather pretty much year round, so the hybrid FWD just makes sense. If I were up in Denver, CO though then I'd probably go ecoboost AWD.
My parents both have different Prius models. we live in MA on the NH border and see months of cold and snow every year. they have a one car garage, so my dad's prius lives outside. the summer to winter MPG difference is like 2 MPG, so I'm not sure what you mean about battery pack temp issues.
They also drive up to visit my sister in lake Placid NY during the winter to go snow shoeing and skiing. My dad says that the Prius is great in the snow because of the extra weight of the battery pack.
The only cold limitation they ever faced was the same one everyone else did, when it it minus 40F and nobody's cars would start or run safely in the cold, in Lake Placid.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts