Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the two packages, there are very few differences. What's to say the FX4 can't tow a bit more than 2000lbs. It includes the upgraded radiator and cooling fan but not the trans oil cooler and the upgraded drive ratio. First time truck buyer so take it easy on me. Coming from an AWD VW SUV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's also that the towing package comes with the 7-pin connection and brake controller which is legally required for towing over a certain weight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would think with the Maverick only having a 2.0 4 cylinder engine, the gearing ratio will be even more important with heavier towing objects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was the "r
I would think with the Maverick only having a 2.0 4 cylinder engine, the gearing ratio will be even more important with heavier towing objects.
277 lb feet of torque should be sufficient!

I opted for the FX4 and NOT the 4k tow package, because i'm stubborn. The XLT lux package already had a hitch/4pin and the FX4 had some of the upgraded engine protection. However, an integrated brake controller alone would cost $500, so for folks with certain plans to tow, the 4k tow package probably makes sense (even with redundancies).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Unless your truck comes with the "integrated" brake controller you will have to add one externally. You can get a nice brake controller for well under $500...👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
First-time truck buyer here, too. I ordered both packages. Was that a mistake? My hope was to make it as off road and rugged as possible given the choices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First-time truck buyer here, too. I ordered both packages. Was that a mistake? My hope was to make it as off road and rugged as possible given the choices.
No not at all. The 4k tow package isn't needed unless you are towing over 2,000#. Its not needed for off road ruggedness. The FX4 package has the off road equipment.

My complaint was that you are paying for some equipment twice if you combine the packages but only getting 1 piece of equipment. I haven't ordered a new car in many many years and just getting use to what is an extra charge in today's car world. For example I can't believe you have to pay for certain colors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Am I correct that you get the 6.5" dash setup from the Lariat on the FX4 XLT? It seems to say this, but this is important to me so I want to confirm.

Reactions: balucipher

·
Banned
43 Posts
If I am not mistaken, I believe the tow package gives you a heavy duty transmission and the trans oil cooler which is very important when towing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts