Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Ranger, which I can't seem to get rid of.

The new Maverick is right priced, perfectly sized, and, to my surprise, it looks as though y'all integrated proper frame rails into the unibody in the rear of the truck.

I wasn't too keen on a four door configuration, but it will do; the truck seems to be nicely packaged.

I'd like for the Maverick to have proper ground clearance - eight inches - but most of all, please don't put the Dragon engine into the Maverick.

I am not interested in a timing belt equipped engine - what's worse is that the belt is internally mounted - making it's replacement costly.

Put a proper normally aspirated engine into the Maverick please, and if you insist on a forced induction engine, please put something that's rated for truck use.

Finally...may this thread not go unnoticed...what about the rest of y'all? I can't be the only person who drives their vehicles into the ground.

Ford...put a manual transmission option, and a truck rated engine, into the Maverick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m not sure any of those requests are reflected in the spy shots thus far. Looks like automatic only. Ground clearance looks to be same as Bronco sport: 7.7 inches. FWD engines will likely be the 1.5 or 2.0 turbos. Towing likely won’t be more that the Bronco sport’s 2000lbs. Who know though. The spy shots could be wrong.
Have you looked at the new Ranger? That might be more what you’re looking for.
The new maverick looks to be more for people that want a small pickup instead of a mid sized truck. Frankly, I hope it doesn’t ride high (I need a bed that I can actually lift things into) and comes with the 3cyl 1.5L. That could get 35 mpg pretty easy, IMO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure any of those requests are reflected in the spy shots thus far. Looks like automatic only. Ground clearance looks to be same as Bronco sport: 7.7 inches. FWD engines will likely be the 1.5 or 2.0 turbos. Towing likely won’t be more that the Bronco sport’s 2000lbs. Who know though. The spy shots could be wrong.
Have you looked at the new Ranger? That might be more what you’re looking for.
The new maverick looks to be more for people that want a small pickup instead of a mid sized truck. Frankly, I hope it doesn’t ride high (I need a bed that I can actually lift things into) and comes with the 3cyl 1.5L. That could get 35 mpg pretty easy, IMO.
I appreciate you replying, although I am disappointed to see your reply as being the only one thus far...

7.7 inches of ground clearance is fine; the Maverick is sized perfectly for my needs, although I am really put off with the idea of the 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. Extremely put off: it's said to be hard to service, and an internally mounted timing belt on an interference engine is very unappealing. The 1.5L engine has me wondering if it's a "disposable" engine?

It's a shame; the Ranger is too big, and too expensive (for me); the Maverick looked like a sure bet - especially after seeing the integrated frame rails into the pickup bed. I'm not happy about the engine choices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don’t know enough about the 1.5 to really have too much an opinion. I will say that I doubt the maintenance cost will be as great an impact as mpg for consumers. Most don’t keep their vehicles longer than 3.5 years, and I’m sure the 1.5 will last that long, probably well into the 120-150k mile range without issue, like most engines nowadays. For long haulers though, I can see your point about maintenance. I’m not confident that segment is the target market though. If I had my wishes, I’d love to see a 3 or 4 cyl diesel hybrid in one. That’ll never happen though. It would be super awesome if they got rid of the useless center floor counsel on the automatics and put in a bench seat. Oh man, that would be great.
brown metallic, auto, 35mpg, bench seat, topper.... I could spend retirement in style. We all have dreams. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m on the same page. The new ranger is ugly and too expensive. This Maverick looks to be excellent especially with it actually looking like a truck. Where I differ is I’m hoping they throw in the escape hybrid engine. Gets good HP and excellent MPGs. I need a truck for DIY projects and landscaping. Along with the room inside to fit car seats for the kids. Can’t wait to buy one of these

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents -- pricing is a key factor for me since the Ranger's price is too close to the F-150. I've reserved and ordered Wifey a Bronco Sport Badlands (2.0L EcoBoost) so we'll see how that goes...

My Ford rant right now is my Bronco Sport build date has been delayed twice now -- ordered in mid August and now the build date is "...at best, February 25th..."

I need a decently sized bed with AWD (like the Bronco Sport) and it should look like the Bronco Sport (the front hood/clip + A pillar + B pillar) and has an upper trim (Badlands?) that costs less than the Bronco Sport Badlands

·
Registered
35 Posts
7.7 inches of ground clearance is fine; the Maverick is sized perfectly for my needs, although I am really put off with the idea of the 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. Extremely put off: it's said to be hard to service, and an internally mounted timing belt on an interference engine is very unappealing. The 1.5L engine has me wondering if it's a "disposable" engine?
Judging by how hard Ford pushes forced induction engines on even the F150 I'm going to bet the Maverick will not offer a naturally aspirated engine. Regarding the 1.5L, if that's true about the timing belt & it's an interference engine than that's certainly a double whammy of negatives. If that's the only engine choice then the Maverick will be a hard pass for me. Why are manufacturers even using timing belts anymore instead of chains?

On the ride height, there were some spy shots posted here a few months ago of the Maverick next to a Ranger and the ride height did not look promising. But I think I also mentioned in that thread that it could just be because it's an early prototype and larger tires and suspension changes could easily still happen when it reaches production which will hopefully be the case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judging by how hard Ford pushes forced induction engines on even the F150 I'm going to bet the Maverick will not offer a naturally aspirated engine. Regarding the 1.5L, if that's true about the timing belt & it's an interference engine than that's certainly a double whammy of negatives. If that's the only engine choice then the Maverick will be a hard pass for me. Why are manufacturers even using timing belts anymore instead of chains?

On the ride height, there were some spy shots posted here a few months ago of the Maverick next to a Ranger and the ride height did not look promising. But I think I also mentioned in that thread that it could just be because it's an early prototype and larger tires and suspension changes could easily still happen when it reaches production which will hopefully be the case.
Much agreed; Ford has gone the forced induction route - which makes me think the same for the Maverick. As for the 1.5, yes, unfortunately it's an internally mounted belt - which makes changing it very time consuming and expensive.

Why, oh why, Ford?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Much agreed; Ford has gone the forced induction route - which makes me think the same for the Maverick. As for the 1.5, yes, unfortunately it's an internally mounted belt - which makes changing it very time consuming and expensive.

Why, oh why, Ford?
To be honest, when you posted that info about the 1.5L being an interference engine with a timing belt, it really took the wind out of my sails. I've pretty much lost all interest in this truck now unless there are other options. I don't love the idea of the only option being a forced induction engine but I could probably deal with that. But when you add that it's an interference engine with a timing belt I lose all interest. Not to mention the fact that it's a 3 cylinder! I don't care if it has a turbo bolted on, it's still only a 3 cylinder which IMO is way too small for even a small pick up truck. So now I'm just holding out hope that there may be another engine option even for a higher cost. This truck is supposed to be released in 2021 so I imagine in the next few months we'll start to finally get some official details.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest, when you posted that info about the 1.5L being an interference engine with a timing belt, it really took the wind out of my sails. I've pretty much lost all interest in this truck now unless there are other options. I don't love the idea of the only option being a forced induction engine but I could probably deal with that. But when you add that it's an interference engine with a timing belt I lose all interest. Not to mention the fact that it's a 3 cylinder! I don't care if it has a turbo bolted on, it's still only a 3 cylinder which IMO is way too small for even a small pick up truck. So now I'm just holding out hope that there may be another engine option even for a higher cost. This truck is supposed to be released in 2021 so I imagine in the next few months we'll start to finally get some official details.
That's what the 1.5 is said to be: an interference engine; I am not 100% sure. But mounting a timing belt internally, and running it through the oil pan? I don't understand it.

The 1.5 does put out 190 foot pounds of torque, which should be sufficient as a base engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as most above. I'm thinking this may be my next personal vehicle.

Its priced right for me, and its the right size for my needs. It still looks like a truck & not a Fusion with a bed attached. I'm 6'4'' so i don't need the 4 doors, but i need that space to get my seat correct/comfortable. The added backseat space is good if the weather is bad for a purchase, etc... Dislike that it wont likely hold a sheet of plywood though. Like yall i need an engine [gas or hybrid] that will pull it around town confidently & last awhile. I'm fine with an automatic.

My wife has a new suv, my oldest has a new suv & eventually my youngest will get a new suv in a few years so dear old dad has no problem getting something budget friendly starting under $20K...in fact it sounds great. I work from home so 75% of the time it will be sitting in the garage, but that other 25% i want something decent & capable.

What i also like is that the aftermarket possibilities for this will allow me to do some personalization as well. Since its on the Bronco Sport frame there should be some stuff to bolt onto it, and make it my own. Small lift, wheels, etc... I'm thinking back to the old Toyota PreRunner package they offered years ago. I'm on a budget, but don't want to roll stock either.

I do understand those that want the stripped down single cab, 5 speed, bench seat, hand crank windows, rubber mat floor, no frills truck. For commercial sales alone they would fly of the lots, but Ford is likely testing the waters with the more popular 4 door, auto, frills first & if the commercial market buys then more money in Fords pockets. Hopefully that will come for those that want it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked into the Ecoboost engines and I now see the turn off. My wife drives an explorer with ecoboost and I like how it drives. Her dad is a Ford Master Tech Mechanic and he believes the engines can last if treated right. Seems almost a guarantee that the turbo will have to be replaced around 80k miles no matter how you drive it though. I’m still a very interested buyer and if they throw a hybrid in this truck I will take the chance on the motor issues. This thread is great by the way. Let’s keep it going!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as most above. I'm thinking this may be my next personal vehicle.

Its priced right for me, and its the right size for my needs. It still looks like a truck & not a Fusion with a bed attached. I'm 6'4'' so i don't need the 4 doors, but i need that space to get my seat correct/comfortable. The added backseat space is good if the weather is bad for a purchase, etc... Dislike that it wont likely hold a sheet of plywood though. Like yall i need an engine [gas or hybrid] that will pull it around town confidently & last awhile. I'm fine with an automatic.
It should hold a sheet of plywood, although it will stick out over the gate. It won’t be flat on the floor though. I used to have a VW pickup. Between the wells was 42 or something, but they had notches in the sides to hold 2x4’s, so a sheet could be loaded above the wells and between the sides that were 49” or something. Really handy and there were no issues. I imagine this will have a similar option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My mother-in-law has a Fusion with the Ecoboost. Her & my father-in-law enjoy it. I do know that alot of those with F150's do not like them. That's about all my experience with them. Id think the Maverick would offer the same engine lineup as the Bronco Sport & more than likely it will be the 1.5 L 3 as the only option at first.

Funny you responded about the notches/tailgate hack. I went & watched a video of the Jeep Gladiator loading sheets of plywood the same way...if its similar to your experience/that video then that works for me.

Another thing...if this thing has the odd Chevy Avalanche style plastic wings on the cab/bed area ill have to figure a way to have those removed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It should hold a sheet of plywood, although it will stick out over the gate. It won’t be flat on the floor though. I used to have a VW pickup. Between the wells was 42 or something, but they had notches in the sides to hold 2x4’s, so a sheet could be loaded above the wells and between the sides that were 49” or something. Really handy and there were no issues. I imagine this will have a similar option.
I remember the 1st generation Rangers had those bed indents where you could put a 48" long 2X4 to put 4 by 8 plywood sheet in above the wheel wells. Looking at the bare metal bed pic, I thought that I saw notches that would allow that as well. I hope so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts