Ford Maverick Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live outside of Charlotte NC, and there are a handful of Ranger owners who will not give up their vehicles, because they have nothing to move into.

The super and crew cab configuration craze ignores the fact that fleet customers would easily go for the standard cab arrangement.

As for the manual transmission, not only are the costs lower up front, they last forever, and are cheap to maintain and rebuild.

As the economy tanks, more and more people are going to be holding onto their vehicles, and the thought of a ten speed automatic, which at some point has to be rebuilt, is simply not appealing.
I would like an Automatic but not a 10 speed that's ridiculous, 5 or 6 is just fine. I would drive manual but my shoulders dislocate when I shift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
“This is why Ford is calling this a whitespace truck. They know its different from everything else out there right now.”

Its not. We just don’t get the trucks the rest of the world does because of the chicken tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I very well expect that after the launch of this truck there will be a 2 door and standard bed configuration. Thats what the majority seems like what they want, myself included Ford if you read this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would like an Automatic but not a 10 speed that's ridiculous, 5 or 6 is just fine. I would drive manual but my shoulders dislocate when I shift.
Agreed.

Some trucks have a six speed gearbox, and they're pulling a 53' trailer. Why do cars and pickups need anything more than a six speed unit? Not only are ten speed units needlessly complex, but the ratio's are too close together. A waste.

I hope that Ford will listen to perspective customers, and while we're at it, it'd be great to see Ford put the manual unit that they employ in the Bronco into the Ranger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I very well expect that after the launch of this truck there will be a 2 door and standard bed configuration. Thats what the majority seems like what they want, myself included Ford if you read this.
I have my doubts; the new F-150 is too pricey, but at least it's perfectly customizable for all. But they dropped the ball on the Ranger; it's a great truck, but it'd even be more attractive if it was a little more affordable, and if they offered the truck with the 2.5L normally aspirated engine.

Yet, as with the Ranger, the Maverick might well be a "lifestyle" vehicle. No thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not know much at this point, and I want to be careful to not share too much. But heres what Ive heard from my job at a supplier. I'm really looking forward to this truck and will probably get one.
  • 4 doors only at first
  • Fairly small bed, if you need more then you can buy an F-150 or Ranger
  • Around 2 feet to 2 and a half feet shorter than a Ranger depending on configuration
  • Shares a lot with the Transit Connect
  • Going to be a unibody
  • Same 2.0L 4 cylinder as the Transit Connect with 162 hp. Base truck may actually get a manual, unlike the Transit Connect
  • Wont be called a Bronco truck. The oval stamping you see in the leaked tailgate is because there will be a Ford oval on the back, not a bronco logo. Bronco is premium, this Maverick is entry level
I'll share more when I can, you can see the oval here

View attachment 18
I hope the current rumors are wrong about only a 4 door model. I will not buy one. Somehow the genius involved in Ford decisions overlooked the popularity of the extended cab Rangers. (I still have my 2003 model.) Buyers such as me want a useful bed. My desires are a useful bed, very good gas mileage, no "high sides" on the bed, no need to climb up to get inside, good view angles when merging with traffic or parallel parking, etc. I am not interested in towing anything or driving over mountains or trying to haul thousands of pounds or looking mean or having a sexy front end or having a 1000 watt sound system. While I am not fond of throwing away money, the price is not a primary factor. As mentioned on another forum, it seems to some of use that Ford is setting itself up to fail (again).

·
Registered
48 Posts
My desires are a useful bed, very good gas mileage, no "high sides" on the bed, no need to climb up to get inside, good view angles when merging with traffic or parallel parking, etc. I am not interested in towing anything or driving over mountains or trying to haul thousands of pounds or looking mean or having a sexy front end or having a 1000 watt sound system. While I am not fond of throwing away money, the price is not a primary factor. As mentioned on another forum, it seems to some of use that Ford is setting itself up to fail (again).
Excellent post, and I very much agree.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am modifying my initial position of needing a 4-door Maverick -- IF -- the 2 door Maverick looks like the Bronco Sport and has a 5.5 to 6.0 foot bed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not know much at this point, and I want to be careful to not share too much. But heres what Ive heard from my job at a supplier. I'm really looking forward to this truck and will probably get one.
  • 4 doors only at first
  • Fairly small bed, if you need more then you can buy an F-150 or Ranger
  • Around 2 feet to 2 and a half feet shorter than a Ranger depending on configuration
  • Shares a lot with the Transit Connect
  • Going to be a unibody
  • Same 2.0L 4 cylinder as the Transit Connect with 162 hp. Base truck may actually get a manual, unlike the Transit Connect
  • Wont be called a Bronco truck. The oval stamping you see in the leaked tailgate is because there will be a Ford oval on the back, not a bronco logo. Bronco is premium, this Maverick is entry level
I'll share more when I can, you can see the oval here

View attachment 18
It's on C2 platform. Shared parts, platfrom, assembly location with Bronco Sport.
Crew Cab 4 door only. 1.5L & 2.0L engines. FWD and AWD versions.

Ford will not price this less than starting price of Ranger. Pricing will be higher than a base Escape. This is "whitespace" product to Ford marketed not as cheaper alternative to Ranger, it's intended to capture customers that want SUV attributes with downsized cababilities of a truck. If you compare a Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4WD to Maverick AWD comparable equipment level then yes you will save money buying a Maverick. Just don't be surprised the Maverick does not offer a $20K entry price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's on C2 platform. Shared parts, platfrom, assembly location with Bronco Sport.

Ford will not price this less than starting price of Ranger. Pricing will be higher than a base Escape. This is "whitespace" product to Ford marketed not as cheaper alternative to Ranger, it's intended to capture customers that want SUV attributes with downsized cababilities of a truck. If you compare a Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4WD to Maverick AWD comparable equipment level then yes you will save money buying a Maverick. Just don't be surprised the Maverick does not offer a $20K entry price.
Welcome to the forum @Ray! Maybe it won't be exactly $20K as the starting price but I can't see it being the same price as the Ranger. That seems counterproductive for Ford.

·
Registered
68 Posts

You might be right.

The current Ranger is an old overseas model and a next-generation version is on the way. When it arrives, pricing and everything else will make it more of premium pickup.
So till it arrives, there will be this odd overlap.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts