Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I ordered a XLT hybrid. Somewhere I recall (sometimes I can’t recall how to tie my shoes) reading the top speed on the FWD hybrid was a little north of 70 to 80 mph.
Freeway limit is 75 here but 80+ is the norm.
Twisting the 2.5 to keep up 75 certainly will not produce that mythic 35 MPG highway mileage.
Anyone verify or refute this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You will definitely not get the EPA rating at 80+. I never have with my Prius, but the rate of degradation is dependent on many variables and we probably won't know the truth until we drive it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe the only top speed officially listed was how fast you can tow the actual truck with all four wheels on the ground. I believe the hybrid is the only drivetrain that allows it, and is limited to 70mpg. Perhaps is this maybe what you saw?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You will definitely not get the EPA rating at 80+. I never have with my Prius, but the rate of degradation is dependent on many variables and we probably won't know the truth until we drive it.
Well in all honesty, all vehicles are less efficient at high speeds ( air resistance is a thing ). However, it can seem more pronounced in a hybrid because they are so much more efficient to begin with.

Old article here but it has some neat calculations and graphs about fuel efficiency vs speed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Okay, I ordered a XLT hybrid. Somewhere I recall (sometimes I can’t recall how to tie my shoes) reading the top speed on the FWD hybrid was a little north of 70 to 80 mph.
Twisting the 2.5 to keep up 75 certainly will not produce that mythic 35 MPG highway mileage.
While driving through northern Mexico I have verified that every Ford hybrid I have ever owned is more than capable of exceeding any known posted speed limit in the States. Easily. Passing someone driving at 70+ mph is just like with any other car.
Same should be true for the Maverick.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well in all honesty, all vehicles are less efficient at high speeds ( air resistance is a thing ). However, it can seem more pronounced in a hybrid because they are so much more efficient to begin with.

Old article here but it has some neat calculations and graphs about fuel efficiency vs speed.

Yep, wind resistance. Not recommended, but if you're drafting a semi-truck at 70+ your mpg may be as high as 60 mpg. The question is, do you value your life more than gasoline?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, wind resistance. Not recommended, but if you're drafting a semi-truck at 70+ your mpg may be as high as 60 mpg. The question is, do you value your life more than gasoline?
The thing is that often in states where there is an 80+ MPH speed limit, trucks have a lower speed limit. But yeah...drafting a semi is probably never a great idea.

Also interesting is that there are many vehicles, even large ones, that don't go 80+ MPH in an 80 MPH freeway zone. Most likely because those big SUV's and such can probably see their fuel gauge dropping in real time. ;) On road trips our Prius has buzzed by many a large pickup/SUV in an 80 MPH zone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While driving through northern Mexico I have verified that every Ford hybrid I have ever owned is more than capable of exceeding any known posted speed limit in the States. Easily. Passing someone driving at 70+ mph is just like with any other car.
Same should be true for the Maverick.
Hopefully

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the only top speed officially listed was how fast you can tow the actual truck with all four wheels on the ground. I believe the hybrid is the only drivetrain that allows it, and is limited to 70mpg. Perhaps is this maybe what you saw?
That maybe what I saw. That would make sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Maverick will NOT be underpowered, it is listed as being 2 seconds faster than my current Hybrid from 0-60 and I have pics of the Speedo on said car at governor limited 116mph. This stuff about it being slow is just flat out wrong. So wrong in fact that the power to weight ratio is better on it than the first gen Ford Lightning PU.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lol. No. Hybrid vehicles can easily do more than 80 mph. That's just the story we tell if we get pulled for speeding. "Officer, this is a hybrid. There's no way it could have been going 86 in a 60."

·
Registered
216 Posts
All I got......Is...Huh??????????????????? 80 mph ??? Son I've got a deal for you and it's only $4000 over list and your sure not to every get a ticket..cause it can't go over 80...
🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Speaking of highway speeds... What kind of mileage do hybrids get if you plan to use them above 45mpg a majority of the time? If my normal daily driving rarely drops below 40 mpg except for a few quick intersections, will there be that much of a difference in MPG between the hybrid and the 2.0L Ecoboost?

My vision for the Mav would be a road tripping truck to take me out of the city and head to the mountains or creek. So I foresee a lot of highway travelling getting to and from.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Speaking of highway speeds... What kind of mileage do hybrids get if you plan to use them above 45mpg a majority of the time? If my normal daily driving rarely drops below 40 mpg except for a few quick intersections, will there be that much of a difference in MPG between the hybrid and the 2.0L Ecoboost?

My vision for the Mav would be a road tripping truck to take me out of the city and head to the mountains or creek. So I foresee a lot of highway travelling getting to and from.
I think the Maverick may suffer at highway speeds a bit more than past hybrids I've had because it looks a bit more aerodynamically challenged? But, I don't know this for sure.

But, from my own experience, my hybrids have all done better in stop and go city driving than advertised. On the highway if it's just straight, flat, and no one around, the mpg is as advertised. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot depending on many conditions. That said, never much worse or better than advertised. And I usually travel at around 75mph on interstates.
Just because of its shape, keeping the Maverick under 65 will really help, I suspect.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think the Maverick may suffer at highway speeds a bit more than past hybrids I've had because it looks a bit more aerodynamically challenged? But, I don't know this for sure.

But, from my own experience, my hybrids have all done better in stop and go city driving than advertised. On the highway if it's just straight, flat, and no one around, the mpg is as advertised. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot depending on many conditions. That said, never much worse or better than advertised. And I usually travel at around 75mph on interstates.
Just because of its shape, keeping the Maverick under 65 will really help, I suspect.
If only Ford had engineers and drivers who had studied this crazy idea and tried the truck out on highways under normal and abnormal speeds for the past year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If only Ford had engineers and drivers who had studied this crazy idea and tried the truck out on highways under normal and abnormal speeds for the past year.
I'm sure they have, and I'm sure it will meet EPA estimates. But keep in mind, EPA estimates are far different than real world driving conditions.

I'm not saying it will be bad. I'm just saying that this truck will probably suffer more at higher speeds than a lower profile vehicle. That's just common sense. I'm sure the engineers are aware of it and they don't care: They care about the EPA drive cycle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure they have, and I'm sure it will meet EPA estimates. But keep in mind, EPA estimates are far different than real world driving conditions.

I'm not saying it will be bad. I'm just saying that this truck will probably suffer more at higher speeds than a lower profile vehicle. That's just common sense. I'm sure the engineers are aware of it and they don't care: They care about the EPA drive cycle.
The gas mileage of every vehicle suffers at higher speeds. It's just that hybrids suffer a bit less. If the Maverick was more aerodynamically designed, it would be a car, and it would have a combined mpg of 50 or so.

So are you trying to compare the highway mpg of the different Maverick builds (hybrid is better), or are you trying to compare the highway mpg of the Maverick to all other hybrids (other hybrids are mostly better), or are you trying to compare the mpg of the Maverick hybrid at 45 miles per hour to the Maverick hybrid at 65 miles per hour and at 75 mph? Because that would also have to factor things like wind, uphill vs downhill, overall altitude, stops, use of adaptive cruise, plus things I haven't thought of, don't you think?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The gas mileage of every vehicle suffers at higher speeds. It's just that hybrids suffer a bit less. If the Maverick was more aerodynamically designed, it would be a car, and it would have a combined mpg of 50 or so.

So are you trying to compare the highway mpg of the different Maverick builds (hybrid is better), or are you trying to compare the highway mpg of the Maverick to all other hybrids (other hybrids are mostly better), or are you trying to compare the mpg of the Maverick hybrid at 45 miles per hour to the Maverick hybrid at 65 miles per hour and at 75 mph? Because that would also have to factor wind things like uphill vs downhill, overall altitude, stops, use of adaptive cruise, plus things I haven't thought of, don't you think?
I think you're reading way too far into my opinion.

You'd have to ask the person who asked the question. It was a general question about what they could expect when driving above 45mph in the Maverick. I was trying to give a complete answer based on my experience. It is opinion since none of us mere mortals has driven one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts