Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ford has worked on the E-vct to improve this with its latest revision . But i’m not finding anything .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it all depends on state of charge of the HVB and how much throttle input you are giving, its not like its going to have a set speed, it varies too much on individual drivers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Considering Ford has allowed the ICE to turn off in the C-Max Hybrid at any speed under light load since 2013, I'd guess the same applies here, considering the powertrain is even more advanced now. I've gotten my C-Max up to 50mph just on battery from a stop, but that was accelerating extremely slowly without anyone behind me to piss off.
Certainly not the case for the 08-12 Escape Hybrids though, which were limited to around 25mph, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Considering Ford has allowed the ICE to turn off in the C-Max Hybrid at any speed under light load since 2013, I'd guess the same applies here, considering the powertrain is even more advanced now. I've gotten my C-Max up to 50mph just on battery from a stop, but that was accelerating extremely slowly without anyone behind me to piss off.
Certainly not the case for the 08-12 Escape Hybrids though, which were limited to around 25mph, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, 1st gen was a Max speed of 35 even while coasting. You'd hardly ever see more than 25 while accelerating. Next gen but still on ni-cad was around 45 in the fusion/MKZ hybrids. Redesigned Fusion/MKZ with lithium batteries could hit 60 pretty easily and coast engine shutoff could happen anytime.
Will be interesting to see how fast we can get these to go under light throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, 1st gen was a Max speed of 35 even while coasting. You'd hardly ever see more than 25 while accelerating. Next gen but still on ni-cad was around 45 in the fusion/MKZ hybrids. Redesigned Fusion/MKZ with lithium batteries could hit 60 pretty easily and coast engine shutoff could happen anytime.
Will be interesting to see how fast we can get these to go under light throttle.
Indeed. Seeing some youtube vids describing 50-60 mpg on city hypermileage driving certainly has me wondering.
I haven't seen any good info to compare the Mav's battery and motor(s) against my 2013 C-Max Hybrid's own powertrain, but I can get over 46 MPG in town in the C-Max without trying all that hard.
I'd expect whatever hopefully newer tech in the Mav to match or exceed that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the Maverick got to just 50 mph that would be great .

·
Registered
151 Posts
That would be super variable, I would think. I live where the climate is fairly moderate, and the roads are flat, and the altitude is a few feet above sea level. My hybrid speeds would almost certainly be higher than most other folks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Ford Escape H appears to be the closest vehicle in size, powertrain(same engine) and weight for fuel economy comparisons. Since the Escape is rated @ 41mpg comb. I expect Maverick will be very close to it. While battery packs provide motive power at low speeds and auxiliary power while stopped it's primary purpose is to assist the ICE in running at its most efficient RPM by storing power when engine load is low or vehicle is braking and releasing it when extra power is needed such as acceleration or ascending hills. While it is interesting to observe how fast or far vehicle can go on battery power alone, eventually this power has to be recovered by running the ICE. Batteries are sized based on packaging limitations, cost, and performance requirements. While a bigger battery may provide more speed or distance it may not increase MPG. This is where plug in hybrids step in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Indeed. Seeing some youtube vids describing 50-60 mpg on city hypermileage driving certainly has me wondering.
I haven't seen any good info to compare the Mav's battery and motor(s) against my 2013 C-Max Hybrid's own powertrain, but I can get over 46 MPG in town in the C-Max without trying all that hard.
I'd expect whatever hopefully newer tech in the Mav to match or exceed that.
Just pump the tires to the maz 58 psi

·
Registered
51 Posts
These hypermilers probably have the pulse and glide technique down to a science or maybe they have the floor cut out so they can push with their feet like Fred Flintstone. Who knows!

·
Registered
2 Posts
These hypermilers probably have the pulse and glide technique down to a science or maybe they have the floor cut out so they can push with their feet like Fred Flintstone. Who knows!
It feels that way when I am driving behind them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts