Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only 2k tow rating, it would seem hard to find a small tow behind camper to pull. Anyone eyeing a model to get for the Hybrid model?

·
Registered
131 Posts
At 2000 lbs you'd pretty much be limited to the lighter end of the teardrop trailers spectrum. You could build a "Foamie" or an ultralight teardrop: Foamie Teardrop Camper but you'd definitely be limited in terms of what amenities you could add to it, since the foam isn't really strong enough to build a galley in like a traditional teardrop. It'd be a place to sleep that's relatively comfortable, though. Towing will wreck your fuel economy, so beware.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try the motorcycle campers all really light but no toilets or showers, there's a guy in YouTube that build a nice full blown camper with a shower and a metal bunk bed under 2k pounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been looking for a small trailer as well. The 2k limit on the hybrid is making it difficult. I like some of the pop up campers but I would like to find something with a wet bath. I will probably be looking for a while.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have been looking for a small trailer as well. The 2k limit on the hybrid is making it difficult. I like some of the pop up campers but I would like to find something with a wet bath. I will probably be looking for a while.
Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. 25-50 gallons is between 200 and 400 lbs of water alone. Your wet bath would need to defy the law of gravity to be weight efficient.

·
Registered
131 Posts
watch this video one of the best I have seen and under 2k pounds
That's a very well done camper, but I sincerely doubt he's actually below 2000 lbs there, wet. And he had to make some pretty big compromises in amenities to get it that light. Most of my camping will be off the beaten path, and I live in the desert, so carrying more water in and out is pretty critical. Unfortunately, as mentioned, water is heavy. That porta-john would be full and stanky very quickly in the heat around here, and batteries for off-grid power and AC get heavy quickly as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
“Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. 25-50 gallons is between 200 and 400 lbs of water alone. Your wet bath would need to defy the law of gravity to be weight efficient.”

Hence.. “I will probably be looking for a while.”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts