Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’m digging the hybrid because I know I won’t need to tow very much. No AWD is what does it in for me though. I’d have been the first one to pre-order an AWD hybrid. I can’t find the MPG for the eco boost engine however, and so I don’t want to jump the gun on either one of these. Any chance they’d add AWD to the hybrid down the road? Any idea what the MPG is for the eco boost engine?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, I’m digging the hybrid because I know I won’t need to tow very much. No AWD is what does it in for me though. I’d have been the first one to pre-order an AWD hybrid. I can’t find the MPG for the eco boost engine however, and so I don’t want to jump the gun on either one of these. Any chance they’d add AWD to the hybrid down the road? Any idea what the MPG is for the eco boost engine?
Welcome to the forum @Pineapplechiefs! Ford hasn't shared the fuel economy numbers for the EcoBoost Maverick for some reason. We can only reference other Ford vehicles that have the engine, like the Bronco Sport (21/26/23 mpg).

There is a possibility that Ford will add a hybrid AWD model later on but nothing confirmed yet. Apparently it has to do with the new electric motor in Maverick.

So although there is no packaging or technological impediment to modifying the Escape Hybrid AWD model's e-CVT to accommodate the Maverick's new motor, Ford decided not to bite off more than it could chew by developing and launching both front- and all-wheel-drive Maverick hybrid variants in the first model year. Let those who demand AWD spring for the fancier, more profitable 2.0-liter EcoBoost Maverick. Ford can fan the sales flames later by adding an AWD Hybrid version to the lineup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Pineapplechiefs! Ford hasn't shared the fuel economy numbers for the EcoBoost Maverick for some reason. We can only reference other Ford vehicles that have the engine, like the Bronco Sport (21/26/23 mpg).

There is a possibility that Ford will add a hybrid AWD model later on but nothing confirmed yet. Apparently it has to do with the new electric motor in Maverick.

So although there is no packaging or technological impediment to modifying the Escape Hybrid AWD model's e-CVT to accommodate the Maverick's new motor, Ford decided not to bite off more than it could chew by developing and launching both front- and all-wheel-drive Maverick hybrid variants in the first model year. Let those who demand AWD spring for the fancier, more profitable 2.0-liter EcoBoost Maverick. Ford can fan the sales flames later by adding an AWD Hybrid version to the lineup.
I imagine if sales are what they expect and they recoup that RnD cost they will add a PHEV and an AWD Hybrid. Fords pretty good at keeping the options coming. They don’t sit on models

·
Registered
267 Posts
I imagine if sales are what they expect and they recoup that RnD cost they will add a PHEV and an AWD Hybrid. Fords pretty good at keeping the options coming. They don’t sit on models
I think that's how it'll go. I also think they wanted to start with models they won't have an issue producing so the rollout can go as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think that's how it'll go. I also think they wanted to start with models they won't have an issue producing so the rollout can go as smooth as possible.
Absolutely! Especially after the Explorer production start issues it had after launch and we currently see with the Bronco.
Keeping fewer trims and engines available at launch makes it go much smoother.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look at the Ford Escape for possibilities IMO, as its been out a while and has a diverse powertrain option sheet.

Despite having four options, only the 2.0 turbo is AWD, so I would expect the same.

However, I'd put good money down on Ford eventually releasing a PHEV version of the Maverick if its a good seller, at least in some states, but expect it to be FWD just like it is on the Escape. AWD adds weight, and the hybrid is already heavier because of the battery, and it also adds cost and usually lowers fuel economy and increases driveline losses, so I think they figure it makes more sense to pair it with the lighter turbo engine that's more powerful for customers that aren't prioritizing cost of buying/ownership paired with a traditional automatic that can handle the AWD driveline shock better.

They could have made it a hybrid that mounts the electric motor on the back wheels for part time AWD like Toyota does, but I'm not aware of Ford having any powertrain like that, and you can expect them to share powertrains across their lineup for cost savings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Escape hybrid comes in Awd. We have a 2020.
The issue is the rear end is different on the Escape vs Bronco Sport vs Maverick. It’s not copy and paste.
According to reports that’s why the Maverick doesn’t have it. That’s also why the hybrid drivetrain is slightly different in the Maverick than Escape. I expect by this time next year we’ll have a awd hybrid. Once they get the bugs worked out

·
Registered
194 Posts
I read the mpg for EcoBoost engine is 23-25 mpg’s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts