Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Chevy Volt, and am considering the Maverick hybrid early next year. Anybody that has the Mav hybrid system in another vehicle able to comment on mountain performance? About once or twice a month we head to the mountains, and unless I remember to select mountain mode to hold battery charge, the 40 mile electric range will be depleted and I struggle up steeper passes with the wheezy engine. The Volt is of course a different setup (PHEV, smaller gas engine) so I'm anxious to hear others' experience with a normal hybrid.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had a Prius IV, maybe 2019 model, that did ok up the mountain roads in lower SE states (mostly GA and bit of NC). Now that car did ‘work’ going up some baby hills though the Mav should be find as it has a more powerful engine (sorry don’t know hp difference at the moment). Plus, as posted, the hybrid part is not an engine that moves the truck forward going up a hill by itself (if any all in some instances maybe. It is the Mav ICE (gas engine) that moves the truck up the hills, plus at times, the hybrid battery pack kicks in to give an extra boost of power). You would be fine.

Having said above, do be aware, this has a ecvt so it will make the ‘sound’ when the hybrid is giving all it can from its battery pack. This simply means you will hear the ‘engine that could/can’ sounding louder due to the higher revs due to the ectv nature of how it works. Not the same sound as only a ICE engine sound when an ICE revs higher.

At least above is my reference point based on a prior prius and current 2020 highlander 4 cylinder hybrid currently owned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Colorado at an altitude of only 5,600’ and most vehicles do just fine around town. The problem arises when you head West into the Rockies at 7,000+ above sea level where oxygen is reduced and road grades of 7° or more. My 4.0L V-6 Tacoma is in 3rd gear at 4K RPM just to maintain the 55/65 speed limit. My wife's Fusion 2.0EB builds boost and powers up everything without blinking. You’ll be buzzing that 2.5L at any decent “mountain” elevation to not get run over by a Dodge Cummins.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Colorado at an altitude of only 5,600’ and most vehicles do just fine around town. The problem arises when you head West into the Rockies at 7,000+ above sea level where oxygen is reduced and road grades of 7° or more. My 4.0L V-6 Tacoma is in 3rd gear at 4K RPM just to maintain the 55/65 speed limit. My wife's Fusion 2.0EB builds boost and powers up everything without blinking. You’ll be buzzing that 2.5L at any decent “mountain” elevation to not get run over by a Dodge Cummins.
You gotta love that comment about the freight train a comin’ via the Cummins diesel! Thanks for sharing..... ✔🇺🇸

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let her sing! That big bad diesel will never catch you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts