Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing if the hybrid runs out gas at interstate speeds it would slow mg2 down to prevent damage even though that means bleeding energy to turn the ICE.

Also, would the truck let you run all electric for a while at low speed if you run out around town?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it's anything like the Prius (and everything I see indicates it is), DO NOT EVER RUN OUT OF GAS. The hybrid system and the 'regular' engine are codependent, and running out of gas shuts everything down. Only the car gods can bring it back to life.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didnt have that issue when I ran out of gas when Priuses were our company car. The car turned into an overprice golf cart. The battery worked for another 5 miles. Filled up and started my journey back up. Happened more than once but I may be an outlier

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Prius can drive on EV only for a couple miles at less than 20 miles per hour and hardly any throttle (I own a 2011 Prius). From what I’ve heard the Maverick does not have an EV only option so I would not suspect it to be able to keep going when it runs out of gas. But more importantly how is it people run out of gas? I’ve been driving for 17 years and never once ran out of gas

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Prius can drive on EV only for a couple miles at less than 20 miles per hour and hardly any throttle. From what I’ve heard the Maverick does not have an EV only option so I would not suspect it to be able to keep going when it runs out of gas. But more importantly how is it people run out of gas? I’ve been driving from 17 years and never once ran out of gas
When you have been an outside sales rep for over 40 years it happens. Between parking lot traffic in Houston/LA etc. A major wreck on I40 between Knoxville and Ashville. Or, learning a new rural territory in Texas, Oklahoma before Smart phones were a thing and before 24 hour gas stations. Eeking out the last few drops of fuel in a rental car so you don't have to stop to get gas that will take 40 minutes by the time you can get back on the freeway in the North East. As long as the rental car ran out on airport property, you walk the keys to the rental agency and they will pick it up and you just catch the bus to the terminal. These are the ones I remember.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im with you. The “EV solution” is like dating. It is in the romantic stage and my boy/girlfriend is perfect. As dates go by the warts start showing and you question your decision. Nobody will address the infrastructure it will take for EV. Manufacturers are already asking “leaders” we will do our part if you do…………

Hybrid seems to be a good compromise.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When you have been an outside sales rep for over 40 years it happens. Between parking lot traffic in Houston/LA etc. A major wreck on I40 between Knoxville and Ashville. Or, learning a new rural territory in Texas, Oklahoma before Smart phones were a thing and before 24 hour gas stations. Eeking out the last few drops of fuel in a rental car so you don't have to stop to get gas that will take 40 minutes by the time you can get back on the freeway in the North East. As long as the rental car ran out on airport property, you walk the keys to the rental agency and they will pick it up and you just catch the bus to the terminal. These are the ones I remember.
Wouldn't that be before smartphones and hybrid vehicles though? In the modern world, how does anybody run out of gas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes. The Prius (1994) hit the market before smartphones, satellites and tracking became what they are now when my hybrid experience was happening. The smart phone was still 10+ years away. Google was a search engine trying to take marketshare from Ask Jeeves back then. You were still paying for minutes. Data allowances werent around yet. Hybrids were before what smartphones are what they are now. Last time I ran out of gas was 7 years ago on purpose when I dropped rental car at Reagan International at Delta terminal and called National to pick it up. I have 24 hour limit of DC clients before I break out in hives.

I passed through New Bern sailing up to Oriental last month and docked to go get burritos at Taco Loco. I'm an 87 Grad of NC State. RIP Jimmy V.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes. The Prius hit the market before smartphones, satellites and tracking became what they are now when my hybrid experience was happening. Google wasn't even. A company until 1998 and was a search egine trying to beat Ask Jeeves then. The IPhone was another 10 years away Phone companies were still trying to get cell coverage right and you had to pay for minutes. Data coverage was several years away. If you had an important call you still used a pay phone because cell service was still spotty. Last time I ran out of gas was 7 years ago when I dropped rental car at Reagan International at Delta terminal and called National to pick it up. I have 24 hour limit of DC clients before I break out in hives.

I passed through New Bern sailing up to Oriental last month and docked to go get burritos at Taco Loco. I'm an 87 Grad of NC State. RIP Jimmy V.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Didn’t the Prius come out in 97 in Japan / 99 US

While the first Hybrid ever was in 1900 Lohner–Porsche Mixed Hybrid
Sorry. No clue. Not really a car guy. Cars to me are a depreciating asset that get you to point A-B. From the cars I rented, bought or got from a company some stick out in your mind.

All I know is that the Prius was in the American market when we had cell phones not today's smartphone. Yes, people run out of gas either by accident or on purpose. When I had Priuses as a company car Google and Waze weren't around to tell you how far the gas station was, was it open and the price of the gas and after you left the station you received tons of advertising for the Coke and bag of peanuts you just bought inside. The phone was for conversations or this new thing called texting which you were charged per text. I was just glad that the Prius acted like a golf cart and went to EV only mode for 5 miles to get me to the gas.

Hoping the Maverick is an auto that brings good memories to people when it gets to market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts