Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Area 51 XLT hybrid ordered 11/9/21
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone here mentioned that their daily one-way commute of something like 26 miles resulted in nearly being electric only for nearly a good portion of the way.

On my regular trip from center of FL to east coast FL of 73 miles, at the end it said only 9 miles were electric. Most of the way is at steady 60 MPH, with maybe 10 miles at 65 MPH and 10 miles at 50 MPH.

· Registered
34 Posts
I think your speed is keeping you from going all electric.
My commute to work is around 11 miles each way. When I'm driving 65 or so, the gas engine is on. Once I hit rush hour traffic, it tends to switch to electric. For the last couple of miles, I'm going through a neighborhood, and that tends to be all electric.

Speedometer Light Odometer Blue Trip computer

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your speed is keeping you from going all electric.
My commute to work is around 11 miles each way. When I'm driving 65 or so, the gas engine is on. Once I hit rush hour traffic, it tends to switch to electric. For the last couple of miles, I'm going through a neighborhood, and that tends to be all electric.

View attachment 5115
It is not possible to have a lengthy trip that is ALL electric. When I had a similar trip to yours (in miles) that was approaching 50% electric only (like yours above) is when I got 76 MPG.

· Registered
34 Posts
True enough.
That reminds me of when we drove the Maverick to take a hike on a mountain in Vermont. When we were done, we drove a couple of miles down the mountain to the main road - the gas engine started when I was pulling out of the trail parking lot, then shut off for the rest of the ride down the hill. I set a personal best for MPG in the Maverick that day!

Vehicle Car Plant Automotive design Personal luxury car

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True enough.
That reminds me of when we drove the Maverick to take a hike on a mountain in Vermont. When we were done, we drove a couple of miles down the mountain to the main road - the gas engine started when I was pulling out of the trail parking lot, then shut off for the rest of the ride down the hill. I set a personal best for MPG in the Maverick that day!

View attachment 5118
Yes, today when I turned onto a different road with a different speed limit, I RESET trip meter 2. After a short while I looked at the dash at it said I was getting 188 MPG! But then it dropped to a normal number after a while.

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe in general, most hybrids switch to gas mode at around 15-20 mph.
Oh, OK. But I thought it should say whenever it is in ALL ELECTRIC mode, like going after a red light. Mine ONLY says it when starting out on a new trip.

The other day, I went to the Dollar General from our RV resort, a 1.4 mile round trip, at 20 MPH, and the whole time back & forth it was ALL ELECTRIC.

· Registered
283 Posts
Don't have one yet thu on my other brand hybrids electric only mode varies depending on: hybrid battery charge state, up hill or down travel, speed, how hard you press on the pedal, outside temps etc.

I would think, less then say 50mph, it might be a blend of gas & hybrid battery pack and at times short distances on hybrid battery only. Thu too maybe Ford method of secret hybrid sauce is different then Toyota's Prius and Highlander hybrid :)

My prior hybrids did have a screen to show hybrid battery flow into and from the battery as well as showing when engine kicked in to move the wheels and likewise show power back into the hybrid battery. Different Car manufacturers I believe approach idea different ways via how much info they provide to the driver. In the end, if you are happy with the overall mpg your golden.

· Registered
49 Posts
Don't have one yet thu on my other brand hybrids electric only mode varies depending on: hybrid battery charge state, up hill or down travel, speed, how hard you press on the pedal, outside temps etc.

I would think, less then say 50mph, it might be a blend of gas & hybrid battery pack and at times short distances on hybrid battery only. Thu too maybe Ford method of secret hybrid sauce is different then Toyota's Prius and Highlander hybrid :)

My prior hybrids did have a screen to show hybrid battery flow into and from the battery as well as showing when engine kicked in to move the wheels and likewise show power back into the hybrid battery. Different Car manufacturers I believe approach idea different ways via how much info they provide to the driver. In the end, if you are happy with the overall mpg your golden.
Is it possible to show hybrid battery charge state for a Mav hybrid? I can do this with my Ford CMax Hybrid.

· Premium Member
20 Posts
I believe in general, most hybrids switch to gas mode at around 15-20 mph.
Actually it has more to do with whether the electric motor is able to move the vehicle down the road by itself and if their is sufficient energy remaining in the traction battery or not. Under the right conditions, I've traveled short distances at 70 mph on electric only.

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Usage of climate control, speed of travel, hills, ambient temperature and a host of other variables will determine when or if the gas engine kicks on.

50+ is highway speed. It will always require the use of the gas engine unless you're coasting or going downhill.

· Registered
49 Posts
The only way is to take foot off accelerator and leave off brake, and you can see it whilst coasting (not stopped either).
I asked a different question. Yes, if you take your foot off the accelerator, you will see if you are in “electric driving.” But this does not tell you whether the hybrid battery is half charged or fully charged, or whatever state it’s in

There is an image of a hybrid battery showing whether it’s state of charge — low to fully charged.

I have not been able to locate a battery indicator on my Mav.

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked a different question. Yes, if you take your foot off the accelerator, you will see if you are in “electric driving.” But this does not tell you whether the hybrid battery is half charged or fully charged, or whatever state it’s in

There is an image of a hybrid battery showing whether it’s state of charge — low to fully charged.

I have not been able to locate a battery indicator on my Mav.
The GREEN left side dash display gauge tells you state of charge, but ONLY when you are moving and coasting (foot not on brake nor accelerator), at least in my XL. Has nothing to do with ELECTRIC DRIVING display on dash, at least not on my XL.

· Registered
49 Posts
Thanks. I’ll look for it in the morning.
Ok. I understand what you’re saying. At another Mav site, there is apparently a piece of software which reads the battery state exactly. It’s called ScanGuage III. I need to find out more about this.
On a personal note, I did a 16 mi round trip today. Got 45.5 mpg’s on the trip there and 52.2 mpg’s on the way home, staying in electric driving as much as possible — 48% on the first 8 miles.

· Premium Member
336 Posts
It seems to me that running the battery more frequently and as much as possible might result in short term fuel savings...
...but it also occurs to me that more frequent and heavier use of the battery might cause faster degradation of the most expensive component of the vehicle from heat/wear/discharge cycles ETC.

I have no data to support one conclusion or the other, but I can't help but wonder if intentionally running the Maverick 'all-electric' isn't going to be more costly in the long term.

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. I understand what you’re saying. At another Mav site, there is apparently a piece of software which reads the battery state exactly. It’s called ScanGuage III. I need to find out more about this.
On a personal note, I did a 16 mi round trip today. Got 45.5 mpg’s on the trip there and 52.2 mpg’s on the way home, staying in electric driving as much as possible — 48% on the first 8 miles.
On 72 miles on I-95 with cruise set for 67 MPH with a tailwind, I got 48 MPG. On return trip with a headwind, I got 39.5 MPG, for an average of about 44. FAR greater than the the BS EPA estimate of 33 highway! And it isn't even broken in yet.

· Registered
49 Posts
It seems to me that running the battery more frequently and as much as possible might result in short term fuel savings...
...but it also occurs to me that more frequent and heavier use of the battery might cause faster degradation of the most expensive component of the vehicle from heat/wear/discharge cycles ETC.

I have no data to support one conclusion or the other, but I can't help but wonder if intentionally running the Maverick 'all-electric' isn't going to be more costly in the long term.
Good comment. I would be interested in reading an article on this topic, especially from a Ford engineer. Before buying my Mav hybrid, I drove a 2016 Ford CMax Hybrid for 3 1/2 yrs, logging 38k miles. I pushed it to electric mode as much as possible and averaged 39 mpg per the dashboard. The battery is still in good shape at 58,000 miles as far as I know.

· Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The tiny 1.1 KWH is not the most expensive component. Not by a long shot. Sure the batteries in a FULLY electric vehicle may be, but not an HEV.

My son's 6 year old or so Tesla when new said 340 mile range when fully charged. Now range is 322 miles. So less than a 10% degradation.

Plus, the Maverick has an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty for ALL hybrid components. So there is nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts