Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what others have shown or pointed out in videos, it is a bumper cover (plastic) over a steel subframe with shock blocks built in for slow impact protection. Different animal than the current Ranger where Ford proudly promotes the FRONT bumper is steel on the Ranger.
All in all, its about weight reduction.

I am so old that my early trucks had all steel diamond plate wrap around “Barden Bumpers” on those early GMC/Chevy rigs. The Bardens may have been a regional or Western region product. Like I said, I’m old!😅

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what others have shown or pointed out in videos, it is a bumper cover (plastic) over a steel subframe with shock blocks built in for slow impact protection. Different animal than the current Ranger where Ford proudly promotes the FRONT bumper is steel on the Ranger.
All in all, its about weight reduction.

I am so old that my early trucks had all steel diamond plate wrap around “Barden Bumpers” on those early GMC/Chevy rigs. The Bardens may have been a regional or Western region product. Like I said, I’m old!😅
Sorry - I did not answer your question.....
My guess is yes it may be the first truck with a non steel bumper. Not certain though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some of the modern trucks the metal bumper isn't much thicker than body steel and in separate pieces per side so they're fairly cheap to replace. Careful trying to push/be pushed with them, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hey, that bumper looks pretty cool! I got a helluva rear bumper on my '74 Chevy. Definitely not as fancy as what you had, but I bet it was expensive and it certainly gets the job done!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That right there is a mans bumper . The trucks work bench for the guys in a trade .

·
Registered
84 Posts
And I need to mention this again, for those of you worried about the plastic covered bumper, or any other plastic trim parts. Yes, these fade, oxidize, and become pretty nasty looking over time. You can make it look 90% better, by drenching after every washing with some sort of tire gloss product, Armor all, or whatever.... But IMPO, this becomes kind of a PITA after a while.

Fortunately their is a really easy, nice looking fix for this. Its called Bulldawg spray. Basically it is a special type of primer, called an adhesion promotor. It is SUPER sticky, and will stick to plastic, glass, and even chrome. Then you can spray it with the paint of your choice, or roll on bed liner, whatever you prefer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts