Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my order from an XLT to Lariat and the dealer emailed me this Order Summary that lists both the Invoice price AND MSRP of the vehicle broken down into an itemized list of the features. For some reason the original XLT Order Summary only showed MSRP pricing. As you can see, there's not a huge markup on this truck (although I know dealers cost is less than invoice.)

Just posting in case anyone is interested in seeing this.

·
Registered
2017 Escape, 2017 Ram 1500
121 Posts
As I was told by my salesman, there isn't a huge markup on Mavericks. Of course, the more options you add the more of a "discount" you might see, but it's still relative to the cost of the vehicle. But hey, you know their cost on the vehicle now, if they aren't competitive on the price, you have some leverage knowing invoice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As I was told by my salesman, there isn't a huge markup on Mavericks. Of course, the more options you add the more of a "discount" you might see, but it's still relative to the cost of the vehicle. But hey, you know their cost on the vehicle now, if they aren't competitive on the price, you have some leverage knowing invoice.
Invoice price is seldom the dealers actual cost. Various hold back, incentives and back end money from the manufacturer keep dealers alive. Think about it....you can't have a fancy dealership, pay all the expenses and survive when there's less than $1000 between MSRP and invoice on your vehicles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Invoice price is seldom the dealers actual cost. Various hold back, incentives and back end money from the manufacturer keep dealers alive. Think about it....you can't have a fancy dealership, pay all the expenses and survive when there's less than $1000 between MSRP and invoice on your vehicles.
This is exactly correct. The "invoice" price is to be taken with a grain of salt. The actual cost is a few hundred to maybe a thousand or so less. It's still not a huge profit for the dealers, but they'll make that up with volume and service.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is exactly correct. The "invoice" price is to be taken with a grain of salt. The actual cost is a few hundred to maybe a thousand or so less. It's still not a huge profit for the dealers, but they'll make that up with volume and service.
And their several hundred dollar "doc fee" that so many are willing to pay when they don't have to....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And their several hundred dollar "doc fee" that so many are willing to pay when they don't have to....
There's a dealership in PA offering 4% below invoice which on my Lariat equals almost $1,300.00. So that means there's at least a 4% profit built into the Maverick before invoice. No way a dealer would take a loss just to try to make up for it up in volume. I'd imagine the dealership makes 8-12% profit when they sell at MSRP which I'm not bitching about, but it's good to know what their cost is so you can make an informed decision, that's all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
X-plan is: Dealer Invoice - 0.4% + Administration Fee*
So dealer invoice minus 0.4% and the admin fee of $275, and doc fees capped at $100. Dealership still comes out better than losing customers to dealerships who are offering whole percentages below invoice. This is why I don't get the X-plan pushback I got, and now hearing the same from a few coworkers at other area dealerships.
Its like they don't want the business. I don't get it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So dealer invoice minus 0.4% and the admin fee of $275, and doc fees capped at $100. Dealership still comes out better than losing customers to dealerships who are offering whole percentages below invoice. This is why I don't get the X-plan pushback I got, and now hearing the same from a few coworkers at other area dealerships.
It may have to do with hold back and manufacturer incentives. For example, manufacturer kick-back might be less on X-Plan sales vs retail sales. Many moons ago I worked at a Chevy dealership and this was the case at the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They are willing to risk losing a smart shopper vs compromise on profit ; they probably think they can Sell entire inventory for what they want - and they could be right

·
Registered
180 Posts
It may have to do with hold back and manufacturer incentives. For example, manufacturer kick-back might be less on X-Plan sales vs retail sales. Many moons ago I worked at a Chevy dealership and this was the case at the time.
I'm kind of curious about that myself. I got invoice price from my dealer but I'll also have X-plan through MCA by September. Since X-plan price ends up slightly over invoice and we don't have crazy doc fees here I wonder if it's worth even getting the PIN.

·
Registered
1970 Mercury Montego, 2018 Dodge Challenger, 2017 F-150
310 Posts
It also depends on the volume that dealership does= dealer invoice. I worked at a reputable Buick dealership 4o plus years ago.....their invoice was at a profit that they could live with, after all their expenses. It also depends on model. Huge sellers= a lower invoice on that model. Volume helps with pricing. So everybody tell everybody to buy a Maverick! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts