Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a dealer tomorrow to possibly putting some money down on a mav. ive never leased before in my life i drive like 5 miles a day for work. im just wondering what i should be looking for for a price on 10k a year lease. what does others pay? thank you all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Going to a dealer tomorrow to possibly putting some money down on a mav. ive never leased before in my life i drive like 5 miles a day for work. im just wondering what i should be looking for for a price on 10k a year lease. what does others pay? thank you all
This is obviously just my opinion which you don't have to take, but if you're planning on returning the car after the lease is up, there's no point in you putting any money down on an investment you're not going to keep. Putting down money up front is only going to lower your monthly payment, but it won't lower the cost of the actual lease. I would only recommend putting money down if you are financing the car as that will lower the amount of the loan you'll need, which will lower the amount of interest you'll have to pay.

The better question you should ask yourself is "do you plan to keep this car longer than 3 years?" The last 2 vehicles I had were leases because I knew they weren't going to be long-term cars for me. The Maverick I ordered is a hybrid and I do plan on keeping it as long as I can, so I'm financing it.

If no, lease and don't put money down. If you yes, you're better off financing from the beginning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is obviously just my opinion which you don't have to take, but if you're planning on returning the car after the lease is up, there's no point in you putting any money down on an investment you're not going to keep. Putting down money up front is only going to lower your monthly payment, but it won't lower the cost of the actual lease. I would only recommend putting money down if you are financing the car as that will lower the amount of the loan you'll need, which will lower the amount of interest you'll have to pay.

The better question you should ask yourself is "do you plan to keep this car longer than 3 years?" The last 2 vehicles I had were leases because I knew they weren't going to be long-term cars for me. The Maverick I ordered is a hybrid and I do plan on keeping it as long as I can, so I'm financing it.

If no, lease and don't put money down. If you yes, you're better off financing from the beginning.
I'll second this opinion. I sell cars for a living and work with many clients who haven't considered the full financial picture with leasing.

A down payment doesn't save you any money on a lease. In my state the DP is taxed just like the monthly payment.

Another point to remember is the there is no such thing as equity in a lease if the car is totaled. For example, if you total you lease vehicle a month after purchase, the down payment is not recoverable. The lease with be paid in full (most leases include GAP insurance) but that $2K, $5K, or $7K down is simply gone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know if I'd recommend leasing a Maverick, especially if you want to do truck things with it (which, let's face it, is the point).

I'm also of the mindset that you buy a thing and use it until it's worn out (as in, unfixable anymore), and only then do you replace it. It hurt to trade in my Focus with 36k on it, but it was a good first new car for me, and it did a good job shuttling family around. And, after the loan was paid off I pocketed 4 grand. Given that I paid 17 for the car and sold it owing just barely over 9k, I'd say I got my money's worth.

To be honest, I've never seen the point of leasing a car, because of the lack of equity you end up with. Sure, you're always driving something nice and new, but I get money back when I decide to get rid of it; you clean out your lease return and you have whatever was in the car and that's basically it. I just don't like that perpetual debt cycle...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts