Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys not sure if this goes in the general or tech section please move if its in the wrong section. But I would like to discuss the repair side of things. I am an a mobile mechanic and I do my own vehicle repairs at home. I am very interested in the base XL hybrid model to get me back and forth to jobs. So if I eventually get one in the next few months, it will be driven a whole lot and I will rack up miles faster than the average driver. So my main interest would be in the layout of the engine and mechanical components, so I can get a general idea of what working on this truck would be like in the future. Hoping folks who own one already can comment on things they see that could be difficult or very labor intensive to get to/replace. I'm gonna go see one in a few days to take a peek myself. I will take pics and post them with my opinion on how it would be to work on them. In the meantime any input on things current owners see would be helpful. From the pics it looks like the modern approach of stacking as much as possible on top of each other and the clearance between the walls and motor doesnt appear to be wide enough for certain repairs or tools to fit. Might have to drop/lift the motor for certain things, thats just me guessing from the pics though. My opinion might change once I see it in person.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a mechanic also, mainly School Buses but have worked at various car dealers as well. You are not going to be able to see a Hybrid in person yet. They have not been delivered to customers, sometime in December they will start rolling out for January deliveries. You might be able to find a 2020 or 2021 Escape Hybrid, same motor and layout of the Maverick. As far as maintenance, you have no no belt drive system, no external alternator or starter. Both engines are timing chain not belt so no replacement there. The spark plugs and coils are right on top of the engine. Looks like oil changes might be time consuming, have to remove lower shields to do so. But everything else should be fairly easy to work on. I am getting the Hybrid for those reasons as well as much better fuel economy. 10-15 years from now when they are out of warranty and stuff might be wearing out they might be harder to work on but you have a warranty until then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jbuys, thanks for the info. Thats good to know, a local dealer has the hybrid listed as in stock. Was gonna head over this weekend but I guess they might just be trying to get people in the door. Guess their ads worked cause I was gonna go lol.

Will check out the Escape instead if its the same motor/chassis. I cant find much info on the motors. I guess since they are still new no ones done much to them yet. I did look at the warranty and it is pretty low 3 years/36k basic, 5 years/60k powertrain. I saw some other posts that say 100k for the hybrid components but not sure. I'll probably have 100k in 4 or 5 years if I do use it as my work vehicle lol. Looking forward to seeing the engine up close.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Jbuys, thanks for the info. Thats good to know, a local dealer has the hybrid listed as in stock. Was gonna head over this weekend but I guess they might just be trying to get people in the door. Guess their ads worked cause I was gonna go lol.

Will check out the Escape instead if its the same motor/chassis. I cant find much info on the motors. I guess since they are still new no ones done much to them yet. I did look at the warranty and it is pretty low 3 years/36k basic, 5 years/60k powertrain. I saw some other posts that say 100k for the hybrid components but not sure. I'll probably have 100k in 4 or 5 years if I do use it as my work vehicle lol. Looking forward to seeing the engine up close.
Engines. There are two of them. They're pretty awesome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have seen the shop manual for the hybrid.All the transmission sensors and actuators are internal and the is no pan to take off for access.To replace something
as simple as a fluid temp sensor requires dropping the whole engine/transmission assembly from the bottom of the vehicle.Then you must separate the transmission
from the engine and then split it open--FUN TIMES!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have seen the shop manual for the hybrid.All the transmission sensors and actuators are internal and the is no pan to take off for access.To replace something
as simple as a fluid temp sensor requires dropping the whole engine/transmission assembly from the bottom of the vehicle.Then you must separate the transmission
from the engine and then split it open--FUN TIMES!
Why would you do any of that? Have you ever even met anybody who's ever done that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
and yes-i did it all the time when i worked as a ford technician.
Okay. So you worked on hybrids. And Ford hybrids have fluid temp sensor issues, you say. I've been driving motor vehicles for more than 50 years, and I don't even know what a fluid temp sensor is, nor have I ever needed to. That's what the service department is for. They have tools and lifts and repair manuals and crap. It's like people on this forum are looking for the most obscure part they can think of and then insinuating that we should be worried about that one weird thing needing replacing. Of the hundreds (or thousands) of parts on any 21st century motor vehicle, some of them are bound to be hard to reach.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wolfie, I think you missed the point. Yes, some parts are almost inaccessible, but PREVIOUSLY sensors were mounted externally and were much more readily replaced. The CVTe may be(is) a much simpler design than the more-standard design of the ecoboost's 8-speed, but it does not require a complete disassembly to swap a defective temperature sensor.
Some here are willing to tackle things you apparently designate as 'dealer' problems, reflecting that you don't want to mess with those type problems. That's fine, but the point is that a formerly simple repair on a transmission will be a major expense with the newest design.
The CVTe is a different animal than the majority of previously sold transmissions. And some of the design decisions on it, exclusively, are questioned. I expect that there are many other parts that are not easily replaced, but condemning this post because of a CVTe that is exclusive to the Maverick(and Escape, I think) is not out of place. They are not used elsewhere. AFAIK.
tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well,i hope this sensor or the various speed sensors,the park actuator assembly,or anything else they buried in there will not need to be replaced,because that would down
my new truck for a significant amount of time.As to where they should be located-bolted to the outside of the case where they used to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts