Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question. I suppose there will soon be after market lift kits for the Maverick.
Is putting a lift kit on a hybrid the same as as an Ecoboost engine?
Would adding a 3” lift kit negatively affect any components, functions or workings of the hybrid system?
The reason I ask is; I desire the look of a lifted truck. But really need the fuel economy of the hybrid.
I need advice soon, because I am ordering my Maverick this week

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hybrids are heavier, so any lift shocks/struts will need to be a bit beefier to handle the extra weight, and adding any kind of lift on a unibody vehicle means altering the CV shaft angle, which usually causes premature CV shaft failure. It also voids the warranty, can ruin the ride quality, and adversely affects handling and overall safety. 0/10 would not recommend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hybrids are heavier, so any lift shocks/struts will need to be a bit beefier to handle the extra weight, and adding any kind of lift on a unibody vehicle means altering the CV shaft angle, which usually causes premature CV shaft failure. It also voids the warranty, can ruin the ride quality, and adversely affects handling and overall safety. 0/10 would not recommend.
Great information… thanks

how about the ecoboost (non hybrid)… I assume a lift kit would be doable on it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great information… thanks

how about the ecoboost (non hybrid)… I assume a lift kit would be doable on it?
doable, but with the same caveats of voiding the warranty on your suspension and CV axles and knock-on effects to safety, ride quality, and handling. If you want a lift, look at whether the FX4 package raises ride height any; that way at least the parts are covered by the vehicle warranty.

The main reason you'd put a lift on this is to fit bigger tires, which will mess with the gearing, which messes with your fuel economy and creates additional wear and tear on the drivetrain... It's really easy for Ford to say "oh, your valves coked up/exhaust manifold cracked/whatever other common EcoBoost 2.0 engine issue? Yeah, that's due to your modifications, we're not going to cover it." and you're on the hook for a new engine. I wouldn't recommend it until your warranty is done, frankly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whether it's a good idea or not based on all the mechanical whys and why nots of reliability and warranty mentioned above.....the two real impediments are these:

1) Twist-beam rear axle. Lifting the truck significantly given that it's FWD and has a torsion beam rear axle presents an engineering challenge that the AWD does not have. A kit would have to entirely relocate the mounting points for the axle in addition to handling the raising of the springs to assure safe handling and retention of load capacity. Given the rear suspension of FWD models already has a complicated torsion pre-loaded spring set for better cornering and stability, most companies who make lift kits might not at all be interested in fooling with the unintended handling challenges replacing or spacing them up might bring.

2) With the Hybrid FWD and a lift kit is more a question of will there be enough market for it to justify the expense of making a kit. The above engineering challenges are different than those of the AWD truck enough that a company would have to do the math and ask themselves if enough FWD pickup truck owners would buy it. That is a question we will have to wait for the answer to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sam! Hey, thanks for your response - I watch you on YouTube all the time. That's pretty cool
I went ahead and put $1,000 down and ordered my XL Hybrid - with Co-Pilot 360, Moonroof, Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover and a few other goodies. I look forward to seeing more great videos on your channel. Especially about the Maverick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts