Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sure the Maverick starts at roughly $22k, but the one I ordered with AWD is going to be $36K... I think that's still a bargain, compared to what else is offered in the market. **Also, I have no need for a serious tow vehicle which the Maverick admittedly is not.

Other options I've considered:
Ford Ranger - Feels small inside the cab, don't love the dated gauge cluster. Seems to me Ford really rushed this to market as they made the necessary engineering changes to make the international truck, US compliant.
Hyundai Santa Cruz - Sat in one in Concord, NH - feels small inside compared to the Bronco Sport I sat in. Also it gets worse predicted fuel economy then Maverick, has a 6" smaller bed. Seems they focused too much on style and not enough on functionality.
Honda Ridgeline - Hate the Interior. Also has a Starting Price of $36k... for cloth non-heated seats.
Redesigned Nissan Frontier - Seems like a nice back to the basics truck. And it seems they are arriving on dealer lots and I could probably get one for the mid-30s, Nissan always has good financing deals; That also means giving up a lot of MPG highway, 7 per gallon. Driving 400 miles a week commuting 95% highway that will add up quickly.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel - As much fun as an open roof option would be it doesn't compete on price and becomes a different conversation/justification. Can get a much nicer Ram 1500 Diesel for comparable $$$ Mid40s...
Used Trucks - crazy prices... & none can compete on fuel economy.

Where am I wrong? Have I miss something? Or have you come to a similar conclusion?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree that trucks have become an overpriced brodozer image/lifestyle profit center

The Maverick at least allows you to bypass the completely unnecessary costly AWD aspect (coming from someone in northern Wi)

Being a midsized truck the Mavericks “monopoly “ is mostly on cost, there litterally are no compact or small trucks in the market today

Years ago the cheapest new vehicle you could buy was a RWD standard cab manual transmission pickup.

That said even today there are cheaper options if you want to pay the cash for an antique truck that’s restored with good sheet metal and drivetrain.

Subtract the restored part and I’ve always driven an ancient RWD Stick shift diesel Suburban (28mpg highway) or Pickup
I would just get a good cheap example, and eventually modify (if needed) for positive traction with a 5 speed.
That said there “were” 50mpg pickups, the rabbit diesel 5sp pickup and the Subaru 360 sambar both were beyond 40mpg.

Sadly aftermarket suspension parts have gotten both expensive and very poor quality over the years making it harder to keep such a rig running through the winter salt.
Not long ago A complete front end used to be $250 installed , now days more like $3000

Learn to live without AWD, you might drive safer and save a lot of money.
That said there are cheap AWD like Chevy Trax and the like, I’ve just never found AWD enjoyable or necessary and hate doubling my maintenance budget for something completely unnecessary and no I’ve never been stuck in the winter

·
Registered
1990 Chevy S-10
11 Posts
Sure the Maverick starts at roughly $22k, but the one I ordered with AWD is going to be $36K... I think that's still a bargain, compared to what else is offered in the market. **Also, I have no need for a serious tow vehicle which the Maverick admittedly is not.

Ford Ranger - Feels small inside the cab, don't love the dated gauge cluster. Seems to me Ford really rushed this to market as they made the necessary engineering changes to make the international truck, US compliant.
Hyundai Santa Cruz - Sat in one in Concord, NH - feels small inside compared to the Bronco Sport I sat in. Also it gets worse predicted fuel economy then Maverick, has a 6" smaller bed. Seems they focused too much on style and not enough on functionality.
Honda Ridgeline - Hate the Interior. Also has a Starting Price of $36k... for cloth non-heated seats.
Redesigned Nissan Frontier - Seems like a nice back to the basics truck. And it seems they are arriving on dealer lots and I could probably get one for the mid-30s, Nissan always has good financing deals; That also means giving up a lot of MPG highway, 7 per gallon. Driving 400 miles a week commuting 95% highway that will add up quickly.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel - As much fun as an open roof option would be it doesn't compete on price and becomes a different conversation/justification. Can get a much nicer Ram 1500 Diesel for comparable $$$ Mid40s...

Where am I wrong? Have I miss something? Or have you come to a similar conclusion?
Yep, I feel your pain. When you add the fact that local dealers have no incentive to give you decent service or even treat you with respect, I am about ready to forget about it and fix up my old truck. I ordered my Maverick on June 22nd and have received nothing from Ford and very little info from the dealer who seems to resent my questions. I am very close to getting my $500 back and putting it into my trusty old 1990 S-10.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree that trucks have become an overpriced brodozer image/lifestyle profit center

The Maverick at least allows you to bypass the completely unnecessary costly AWD aspect (coming from someone in northern Wi)

Being a midsized truck the Mavericks “monopoly “ is mostly on cost, there litterally are no compact or small trucks in the market today

Years ago the cheapest new vehicle you could buy was a RWD standard cab manual transmission pickup.

That said even today there are cheaper options if you want to pay the cash for an antique truck that’s restored with good sheet metal and drivetrain.

Subtract the restored part and I’ve always driven an ancient RWD Stick shift diesel Suburban (28mpg highway) or Pickup
I would just get a good cheap example, and eventually modify (if needed) for positive traction with a 5 speed.
That said there “were” 50mpg pickups, the rabbit diesel 5sp pickup and the Subaru 360 sambar both were beyond 40mpg.

Sadly aftermarket suspension parts have gotten both expensive and very poor quality over the years making it harder to keep such a rig running through the winter salt.
Not long ago A complete front end used to be $250 installed , now days more like $3000

Learn to live without AWD, you might drive safer and save a lot of money.
That said there are cheap AWD like Chevy Trax and the like, I’ve just never found AWD enjoyable or necessary and hate doubling my maintenance budget for something completely unnecessary and no I’ve never been stuck in the winter
The first all new vehicle my wife and I ever bought was the brand new model fully loaded 1st gen V6 Ford Escape 4x4 in 2000. It was a great vehicle and finally made my wife forget about mini-vans (I hope they never make a comeback.) This was also the first 4x4/AWD we owned which had the unintended drawback of making my wife dependent on AWD for the snowy Minnesota winters.

Long story short and a couple cars and many 100,000 miles (we put on a lot of miles) later I switched her to a new Ford focus, last model year of the first body style, like 2005? Anyway, she hated it. Claimed she couldn't drive it in winter even though I put some blizzaks on it. So I took a mugging and traded it in after having it less than a year on a like New 2004 Escape.
She loved it. Drove that car about 100000 miles until it started to rust in the rear door jambs area and I traded it in for a Lincoln Aviator. I never told her that 2nd Escape was a front wheel drive model with no 4x4/AWD and she never knew.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that a good set of Snow Tires are > AWD any day of the week. But put snow tires on an AWD vehicle and you can go through Blizzards carefully but with confidence.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have have you thought about something like an Escape with a tow package and then buying a trailer ?
I could tow one with my current vehicle, but the reality is a trailer isn't as good as a pickup because most of the time don't have it when you spontaneously want to use it. Also for just the cost to Register one annually I can rent a Uhaul trailer for 6 days a year. Maverick bed will be used to haul trash to transfer station (no trash pickup in our town) weekly and cart firewood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The first all new vehicle my wife and I ever bought was the brand new model fully loaded 1st gen V6 Ford Escape 4x4 in 2000. It was a great vehicle and finally made my wife forget about mini-vans (I hope they never make a comeback.) This was also the first 4x4/AWD we owned which had the unintended drawback of making my wife dependent on AWD for the snowy Minnesota winters.

Long story short and a couple cars and many 100,000 miles (we put on a lot of miles) later I switched her to a new Ford focus, last model year of the first body style, like 2005? Anyway, she hated it. Claimed she couldn't drive it in winter even though I put some blizzaks on it. So I took a mugging and traded it in after having it less than a year on a like New 2004 Escape.
She loved it. Drove that car about 100000 miles until it started to rust in the rear door jambs area and I traded it in for a Lincoln Aviator. I never told her that 2nd Escape was a front wheel drive model with no 4x4/AWD and she never knew.
She knew. Wives aren't nearly as dumb as you make yours out to be. She got what she wanted after you 'switched her to a new Ford Focus.'

·
Registered
211 Posts
She knew. Wives aren't nearly as dumb as you make yours out to be. She got what she wanted after you 'switched her to a new Ford Focus.'
Why would you imply that I was saying she was being "dumb"? I wasn't.
Most people would not know the difference between AWD everyday use vehicles and non-AWD variants if not for the badge on the outside (1st gen Escape had no such ID on the exterior).
My point was she had no reason to question it. It performed as well in the conditions in which she drove it as her previous Escape. She still insists to this day that it was AWD. She never looked at the big gaping hole in the rear subframe where the rear diff would have lived.
You and I likely use vehicles much differently and would soon realize the difference in certain conditions. But I will say, the 2wd escape with it's ground clearance and good tires was very good in 90% of the situations I used it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why would you imply that I was saying she was being "dumb"? I wasn't.
Most people would not know the difference between AWD everyday use vehicles and non-AWD variants if not for the badge on the outside (1st gen Escape had no such ID on the exterior).
My point was she had no reason to question it. It performed as well in the conditions in which she drove it as her previous Escape. She still insists to this day that it was AWD. She never looked at the big gaping hole in the rear subframe where the rear diff would have lived.
You and I likely use vehicles much differently and would soon realize the difference in certain conditions. But I will say, the 2wd escape with it's ground clearance and good tires was very good in 90% of the situations I used it.
Of course you were. You're floating the claim that you decide what she's going to drive, and she doesn't know the difference. It seems ridiculous that you never bothered to consult with her, that you withheld important information from her about her vehicle, and she never noticed - and you think that's normal.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Of course you were. You're floating the claim that you decide what she's going to drive, and she doesn't know the difference. It seems ridiculous that you never bothered to consult with her, that you withheld important information from her about her vehicle, and she never noticed - and you think that's normal.
You infer a lot about that which you know nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your evaluations are sound. I had 3 Frontiers, spanning 15 years and two generations - all RWD. If you can live without too much excitement, they are fairly reliable and still quite affordable. They do take some hits these days from critics. I intended to move from my Transit Connect back to a mid-size PU because my load needs changed. Most of the offerings were unattractive - either aging platforms or relatively high cost for very modest configurations. Ultimately I settled on the Chevy Colorado with RWD and a locking diff. Couldn't find one near me at the time and dropped out of the market. Later, when I came back in I found that the Colorado was taking some real flak. Once again I was adrift. Then, just coincidentally, the Maverick showed up. I dismissed it out-of-hand initially, primarily because the back seat is a waste to me, and the concept of a 4.5 ft. bed was ludicrous. Once I dove a little deeper I discovered how they had designed that short bed to be very versatile, even able to carry 4 x 8's. That and the fact that I could get a load of features for the same price as a number of the mid-sized challengers with middling equipment, pushed me over the line. I'll just be ignoring the useless back seat. Ford was very astute in bringing back this compact for the current market. It serves a lot of needs for an affordable price. All the people lining up to order one sight-unseen can't be wrong (I hope). If you have a large Ego and bottomless pockets, there's always the F-150.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Very much agree with you. I have been looking at a Ridgeline for about two years, but it's too expensive. The only other one I'd add to your list is the very popular Toyota Tacoma. I don't like the interior and nothing excited me about it. I'm a first-time truck buyer and looked at different options for awhile now. I also don't like how tall the engines are on virtually all trucks. I did not find anything I was excited to buy...until I stumbled across the Maverick. I was so excited I ordered one on June 9, within 24 hours of being able to!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a 1st Gen Ridgeline(2006)....only 78,000 when I bought it...but the age spooked me..(I grew up in a time that cars needed to be rebuilt after 100,000 miles) and the age finally scared me enough to sell it and buy something newer so in comes the 2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond beautiful truck but way more stuff than I need(My wife thought I needed something fancy) and I hate it...that feelings come from the dismal MPG...14mpg on a good day and the God's are smiling..My Fuelly records show 13.7mpg avg... That burns a hole right through my pocketbook..How can Chevy have a POS AFM system that is prone to fail and take out the top end of an engine and only make 13.7 mpg avg. ?? BIG POS
So I started to look at other trucks...Yes, the Nissan is slightly smaller than the other so-called small trucks, and that is what I want a small truck, the MPG on the Nissan keeps me from going that direction.
Chevy and GMC are too expensive and I don't trust GM anymore
I agree on the Ranger...feels small inside and is a mid-size truck ?? I like the ecoboost 2.3 tho

Santa Cruz...I did look and I did pay out the $100 reservation fee only to find out that the $100 didn't reserve anything it only put you on the insider email list for updates and the dealers were adding ADM's to the price...My local dealer puts an extra $3000 on the MSRP a bunch of BS and they lost a customer for life... So got my $100 refunded.

Toyota Tacoma is the only other one I would consider because I've owned my share of Toyotas and never had a problem, but the only one I can afford is the SR CrewCab 4cyl 2WD New.
Used there is a 2018 SR5 crew cab V6 2WD with only 42,000 miles for $28500 that I started to get excited about..... But then finally my XL AWD got scheduled:)

And both the trucks in my signature are perfect in eaches own way....
Both are the size I really want..
The XL AWD is basic...Powerful and with the tow pkg should be quick and fun to drive and the MPG will be close to 10mpg more than my Chevy
The Lariat Hybrid...Is more luxury and more my wife's truck..:) and get 27 mpg more than my truck and 20mpg more than my wife's current SUV
Nope I'm in happy land

Reactions: Schobz

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate all the discussion. My AUDI All Road is out of service this week with a failed water pump, it's only redeeming grace is that I own the vehicle and don't have a payment. But $900 for a new water pump is gonna sting this week.

A Taco might fit the bill. Would be great if the local dealerships had anything for inventory.

I had a Subaru Baja in college. It was the most underappreciated vehicle by the public but that thing had amazing utility; sold it back in 2011 when fuel was spiked for a few months over $4 a gallon and I was driving a ton for work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Appreciate all the discussion. My AUDI All Road is out of service this week with a failed water pump, it's only redeeming grace is that I own the vehicle and don't have a payment. But $900 for a new water pump is gonna sting this week.

A Taco might fit the bill. Would be great if the local dealerships had anything for inventory.

I had a Subaru Baja in college. It was the most underappreciated vehicle by the public but that thing had amazing utility; sold it back in 2011 when fuel was spiked for a few months over $4 a gallon and I was driving a ton for work.
I just went on a local dealer's site and found that I could filter inventory by "In transit". They happen to have a 2.0 XL AWD on the way. Maybe you could filter the same way and see if they have any coming?

·
Registered
261 Posts

$900 bucks , it sounds like your getting robbed by a dealer .

·
Registered
211 Posts
$900 bucks , it sounds like your getting robbed by a dealer .
Sounds about right for an Audi All-road. See one of Doug Demuro's t-shirts. Water pump is driven by the timing belt (unless it's a later 4.2) and the easiest way to get to it is to pull the whole radiator support forward as the service manual shows. Otherwise you're dealing with about an inch of clearance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, it's very labor intensive. Not something I can give up a whole weekend working on either... Priorities.

Will hopefully be the last expense until my Maverick arrives...

Reactions: MarvMav
1 - 20 of 27 Posts