Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am specifically buying the Maverick to use as a tow vehicle and want/need that 4000 pound towing capacity. Can you confirm you need the AWD to get it? I thought I understood that you did, but then had a conversation with a Ford salesperson.

Thinking of getting the XLT. With the AWD and the tow package (and a few other niceties), it comes to about $30k.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can get the 4K tow with a front wheel drive ecoboost. If I was regularly towing close to 4K, I’d be looking for something bigger. S add Leo don’t forget there is a limit on the frontal area of the trailer, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,

I am specifically buying the Maverick to use as a tow vehicle and want/need that 4000 pound towing capacity. Can you confirm you need the AWD to get it? I thought I understood that you did, but then had a conversation with a Ford salesperson.

Thinking of getting the XLT. With the AWD and the tow package (and a few other niceties), it comes to about $30k.
how much weight are you going to pull regularly

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm from Wisconsin and I would never buy a 2 wheel drive truck. If I lived somewhere without snow I'd still buy AWD. I have jet skies try pulling those out of the water on a wet boat launch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm from Wisconsin and I would never buy a 2 wheel drive truck. If I lived somewhere without snow I'd still buy AWD. I have jet skies try pulling those out of the water on a wet boat launch.
I pulled my 2700 lb (dry) boat out of slimy boat ramps with my 2WD Silverado with G80 locking differential for years without any of this slipping issue everyone seems to have nightmares about. I can't imagine jet skis ever being a problem.

But if AWD makes you feel more confident, go nuts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

Sounds like you're on the right track, but no, 4K tow only requires the EcoBoost engine, not AWD. Good luck with your truck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I pulled my 2700 lb (dry) boat out of slimy boat ramps with my 2WD Silverado with G80 locking differential for years without any of this slipping issue everyone seems to have nightmares about. I can't imagine jet skis ever being a problem.

But if AWD makes you feel more confident, go nuts.
That 2WD Silverado was also RWD instead of FWD. Less weight on the front means more slip on a boat ramp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That 2WD Silverado was also RWD instead of FWD. Less weight on the front means more slip on a boat ramp.
Made no difference when I later towed it with my 2002 Lincoln Continental. With FWD, your drive tires are well beyond the "slime line." With RWD, they are not. I actually think my Continental retrieved the boat better than my truck because of this.

The fact is, folks have been launching and retrieving boats with RWD, FWD, One-wheel peel, etc for years without issue. In my experience, it has more to so with the skills (or lack thereof) of the driver. A Saturday afternoon at a boat launch will confirm this...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts