Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Maverick Hybrid will it be possible to pull a tear drop camper with dry weight of 1550 pounds, hitch weight 132 pounds with 20 lb propane and 33 gallons of combined water weight. 2 passengers at 350 pounds total. No more than 300 pounds of gear in the truck bed and cabin. Thanks for any help anyone can provide as I’m a completely new to towing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
With the Maverick Hybrid will it be possible to pull a tear drop camper with dry weight of 1550 pounds, hitch weight 132 pounds with 20 lb propane and 33 gallons of combined water weight. 2 passengers at 350 pounds total. No more than 300 pounds of gear in the truck bed and cabin. Thanks for any help anyone can provide as I’m a completely new to towing.
33 gallons of water weighs a fair amount; water is about 8 pounds per gallon, so you've got another 240 lbs there. You might be at or a bit over capacity there, but here's a little secret: Manufacturers test at significantly higher payloads than they usually rate for. Usually if you're within 5% over the rated towing capacity, you'll be fine. Balance your loads correctly and remember that trailers follow a much narrower turning circle than your vehicle's tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since you're new to towing, I'd advise you not tow near the max, at least not at first. I've been doing very similar calculations to yours - hybrid, 650 pounds in the truck - and get a maximum of around 1500 actual trailer weight (not "dry weight").

Actual trailer you can tow = GCVWR - truck curb weight - people and stuff in the truck. 6000 - 3800 - 650 = 1550. (I've been using 3800 as the curb weight as an estimate of the Lariat Lux; the Maverick specifications guide shows a lower "base weight" but I assume that's the base model.)

To the trailer's dry weight, you have to add options, fluid, and stuff you pack into it like food, clothes, and camping gear. 1550 dry can become 1900 actual without too much effort, if your water tank is full.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts