·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These carrier are usually rated for 500lbs bikes or more. My 300 lbs bike is definitely on the low side for these carriers.

I understand that this 400lbs is not on a great spot in term of weight balance. I think I'll buy one and see if it upsets the truck. I was mostly worried about the structural integrity of the truck hitch receiver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From what I've seen the trailer hitch rating for the hybrid is unclear. A rating of 400 lbs is posted somewhere for the EcoBoost with 4K, but it was unclear if it was the same for all Mavericks. I suspect it is 400 lbs across the board, because there is nothing about the trailer hitch that is different in the 4K package or the EcoBoost (other than the 7-pin wiring). The differences for the 4K package seem to be in the cooling, the final drive gear ratio, etc., not in structural differences in the truck or the hitch itself. You should normally configure the tongue weight to be 10% of the trailer weight, so you should target a max of 200 lbs when towing, but that doesn't really apply here.

I'm interested in this because I have an XLT Hybrid with a December build date and I am thinking about getting a hitch mount for bikes. Regular bikes are pretty light, but ebikes can be pretty heavy, and if you put 3 or 4 of them on a mount and consider the cantilever effect you can shoot past 200 lbs pretty easily.

·
Registered
219 Posts
From what I've seen the trailer hitch rating for the hybrid is unclear. A rating of 400 lbs is posted somewhere for the EcoBoost with 4K, but it was unclear if it was the same for all Mavericks. I suspect it is 400 lbs across the board, because there is nothing about the trailer hitch that is different in the 4K package or the EcoBoost (other than the 7-pin wiring). The differences for the 4K package seem to be in the cooling, the final drive gear ratio, etc., not in structural differences in the truck or the hitch itself. You should normally configure the tongue weight to be 10% of the trailer weight, so you should target a max of 200 lbs when towing, but that doesn't really apply here.

I'm interested in this because I have an XLT Hybrid with a December build date and I am thinking about getting a hitch mount for bikes. Regular bikes are pretty light, but ebikes can be pretty heavy, and if you put 3 or 4 of them on a mount and consider the cantilever effect you can shoot past 200 lbs pretty easily.
We definitely plan to use a hitch mount rack for a touring recumbent bicycle and, at some point, an ebike with a battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts

According to the 2022 Ford Towing Guide the maximum tongue load for the maverick is 400lbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That 400lb tongue weight is based on hitch load point being approx. 6" from receiver. Centerline of load on the hitch mounted bike carrier looks to be at least 12" from receiver. I think a 300lb bike will be too heavy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At that point I would buy a cheap Harbor Freight trailer, mount some C-channel in it wide enough for your bike's tires, and have a utility trailer when you don't need to haul bikes around. Those things shouldn't weigh more than about 400 lbs fully assembled, you could fit a few bikes in one without issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts