Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw one of those ford guerilla marketing 3.5 minute You tube posts (masquerading as a fanboy posting)

They talk about 2 magnets - and then say that the batteries are actually embedded during the manufacturing process, using more but smaller batteries, and the advantage is they can withstand much higher rotational speeds.

Can someone explain that to me? batteries don't rotate as far as I know - so the advantage to embedding? and where are you embedding them into? and what happens if and when you need to replace battery packs?

·
Registered
Honda Insight EX (2019)
35 Posts
I see where that video is confusing. It's swapping between two topics (motor design and battery design) every other sentence.

The magnets it talks of are permanent magnets. This is what most modern hybrid systems use. In essence, something else will fail long before these magnets (and thus the electrical generation and outputs) fail.

edit: The video accidentally says batteries when it should have said magnets.

Something else critical will fail before either the battery or electric motor fail in most all cases. Your battery may need to be replaced after 8 years, but at that point you're probably looking into another vehicle anyway. Also, it will probably still be working just fine but you may experience less fuel economy over time (because all batteries degrade over time).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
They talk about 2 magnets - and then say that the batteries are actually embedded during the manufacturing process, using more but smaller batteries, and the advantage is they can withstand much higher rotational speeds.
I think the video accidently says "batteries" (at 58 sec) when they meant to say "magnets"

·
Registered
Honda Insight EX (2019)
35 Posts
I think the video accidently says "batteries" (at 58 sec) when they meant to say "magnets"
True. I only skimmed it. If that's the case caj, disregard my speculative paragraph.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If either of these concern you though, note that the hybrid powertrain (battery + electric motor) have an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on it (also very common in the hybrid space).
Also, given the relatively small size of the Maverick hybrid battery (1.1KWh), it probably won't be that expensive to replace after 8-10 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, got it - narrator mispoke. molded in magnets make sense to me. Thanks for the help guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts