Ford Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one orders an XLT but NO Luxury pkg, do they have to add-on Focus 360 to have a rear backup camera? Is it only in the BLIS pkg? I t would seem Ford would provide a standard backup camera on all models. When I bough my present car 4 yrs ago I was surprised how fast I loved…and depended on it. It has saved a few close calls when backing out of spaces at shopping malls, etc. Hope Ford doesn’t force us to pay $ 540 to get it —especially when I’m not interested in BLISS except for that one capability .
Anyone know for certain? Need this info to complete build/order.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If one orders an XLT but NO Luxury pkg, do they have to add-on Focus 360 to have a rear backup camera? Is it only in the BLIS pkg? I t would seem Ford would provide a standard backup camera on all models. When I bough my present car 4 yrs ago I was surprised how fast I loved…and depended on it. It has saved a few close calls when backing out of spaces at shopping malls, etc. Hope Ford doesn’t force us to pay $ 540 to get it —especially when I’m not interested in BLISS except for that one capability .
Thanks.
All new vehicles are required to have backup camera's by federal law. So yes, all trims will have the rear backup camera.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree...When I saw people backed into slots in the past I would comment "Doing the Batman" and wondered why in the world would they back into a compact slot next to other cars I just thought they were trying to be cool or robbing a bank..LOL, I preferred to back out of a compact parking slot then back in...And then I got the backup camera on my Chevy and wow it's so cool, and now I back in a lot of the time.. Wouldn't want a car without it now and I'm not robbing banks LOL

Reactions: Newbernwolf

·
Registered
16 Posts
In some countries EVERYONE backs into parking spots, it's the normal way to park. Not sure if it's a safety thing, but I think so. I saw this in St. Lucia, so maybe it's for quick evacuation from a tsunami flood zone? But ever since, I prefer to back in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks.
Hum…that two weeks away from the forum sure went fast :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you! I’m glad to hear it’s a federal law now. It definitely should be.
I like backup cameras and I agree that they should be standard equipment, but it shouldn't be regulated by law. I'm a bit of a luddite. If I could order a manual transmission truck with manual door locks and manual windows, I would do so. And, naturally, I prefer a simple, single din radio with very few functions. a backup camera REQUIRES a screen of some sort, so it basically makes infotainment systems required equipment. Do most drivers want that? Sure. It should be standard on nearly everything. But some cars are designed to be simplistic and minimalistic. A base Jeep Wrangler or base Chevy Spark or base Ford Maverick should not have an infotainment system. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like backup cameras and I agree that they should be standard equipment, but it shouldn't be regulated by law. I'm a bit of a luddite. If I could order a manual transmission truck with manual door locks and manual windows, I would do so. And, naturally, I prefer a simple, single din radio with very few functions. a backup camera REQUIRES a screen of some sort, so it basically makes infotainment systems required equipment. Do most drivers want that? Sure. It should be standard on nearly everything. But some cars are designed to be simplistic and minimalistic. A base Jeep Wrangler or base Chevy Spark or base Ford Maverick should not have an infotainment system. Just my opinion.

I would love to have the option of manual windows operation! I miss that functionality….much prefer it .

·
Registered
14 Posts
a backup camera REQUIRES a screen of some sort, so it basically makes infotainment systems required equipment.
My 2015 XLT F250 had the factory back up camera, but there was no infotainment screen. When you shifted to reverse, a small screen appeared in the rear view mirror showing the image.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 2015 XLT F250 had the factory back up camera, but there was no infotainment screen. When you shifted to reverse, a small screen appeared in the rear view mirror showing the image.
Backup cameras weren't required until 2018, so prior to that manufacturers approached them in different ways. Some manufacturers put screens and backup cameras on everything, some reserved the screen for higher trim levels, and some just used little screens in the mirror like your described. I wish that was still in option, but now everything has a full infotainment system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Backup cameras are not about convenience for parking. The requirement is there because they are estimated to save 50-70 lives per year, most of them little kids (very often the driver's own kids). Without a camera there is zero visibility back there for a young child right behind the bumper. If a young kid crawls behind a car while you are starting it and fastening your seatbelt, etc. (and probably looking forward), when you turn to look back you won't be able to see or hear anything. It's a terrible tragedy when it happens, and backup cameras are a very effective fix.

It's also a really nice feature that can help prevent property damage when used responsibly, but that's just a bonus. It's not why they are required.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too many people rely on back up cameras for backing up. There are still obstacles alongside the vehicle that a back up cam will not pickup. That is why mirrors have been around forever. Use you mirrors! I still do even with backup cameras, never pay any attention to them. Now, backing up to a hitch with one, that is the cats azz

·
Registered
97 Posts
Backup cameras are not about convenience for parking. The requirement is there because they are estimated to save 50-70 lives per year, most of them little kids (very often the driver's own kids).
I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts