Ford Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

I was the 2nd owner of a Subaru Baja in college and definitely took for granted the size, utility and rarity of this type of vehicle. After college, I took a job that required a lot of driving and living in an apartment complex with limited parking. So I did the natural thing and replaced it (@140k miles) with a more fuel friendly but similarly quarky Hyundai Veloster. I remember thinking the dealer lost their minds when they offered me $8k as a trade. Fast forward 10 years; now married with two small children, living in rural New Hampshire, the Veloster is gone in favor of a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with a huge backseat to swallow equally huge kid seats.

I mention NH, because we don’t have trash pickup here and I cart everything to the transfer station myself; it sure would be nice to have that Baja back.

Maybe just maybe the maverick will have the right mix of utility, interior space, and car like efficiency to make real case for my next vehicle purchase.

While you may think I’d just wait for Hyundai to release the Santa Cruz. I’ve been less than impressed with the design direction they seem to be taking and seeing early concepts that look heavily based on the Tucson. I much prefer the pre-production designs on the Maverick that we’ve all been seeing the last few days. Needless to say Ford may convert me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey there.

I was the 2nd owner of a Subaru Baja in college and definitely took for granted the size, utility and rarity of this type of vehicle. After college, I took a job that required a lot of driving and living in an apartment complex with limited parking. So I did the natural thing and replaced it (@140k miles) with a more fuel friendly but similarly quarky Hyundai Veloster. I remember thinking the dealer lost their minds when they offered me $8k as a trade. Fast forward 10 years; now married with two small children, living in rural New Hampshire, the Veloster is gone in favor of a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with a huge backseat to swallow equally huge kid seats.

I mention NH, because we don’t have trash pickup here and I cart everything to the transfer station myself; it sure would be nice to have that Baja back.

Maybe just maybe the maverick will have the right mix of utility, interior space, and car like efficiency to make real case for my next vehicle purchase.

While you may think I’d just wait for Hyundai to release the Santa Cruz. I’ve been less than impressed with the design direction they seem to be taking and seeing early concepts that look heavily based on the Tucson. I much prefer the pre-production designs on the Maverick that we’ve all been seeing the last few days. Needless to say Ford may convert me.
I remember seeing the Santa Cruz news and being interested but that truck has taken years to reach prototype stage let alone production that I'm not considering it anymore. I think the Maverick can deliver that versatility that all of us are looking for.

Would you want the 4 cylinder or 3 cylinder engine in your Maverick?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you want the 4 cylinder or 3 cylinder engine in your Maverick?
Definitely AWD and a 4 cylinder. If the Escapes Titanium trim pricing model is any indication, I think the hybrid will be offered below the 2.0 “eco”boost.

So if it is less expensive initially and at the pump with minimal payload change I'll probably lean toward the Hybrid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might come down to how poorly the CVT trans drives in the hybrid. How is it in the Escape hybrid?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might come down to how poorly the CVT trans drives in the hybrid. How is it in the Escape hybrid?
Agree. I've heard that Consumer Reports say that the Hybrid is definitely better than the 1.5L 3 cylinder, in the escape. I believe they've even gone on Record on their "Talking Cars" podcast to say that the base powertrain should've been the hybrid instead of the 3pot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definitely AWD and a 4 cylinder. If the Escapes Titanium trim pricing model is any indication, I think the hybrid will be offered below the 2.0 “eco”boost.

So if it is less expensive initially and at the pump with minimal payload change I'll probably lean toward the Hybrid.

View attachment 199
If anything the hybrid could be an upgrade on performance like the F-150 hybrid is compared to the gas versions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I've preferred the spy photos of the Maverick compared to the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Since all of Hyundai's spy shots have been covered with cladding.

Per this article on Hyundai's Media Site, the Santa Cruz is scheduled to be revealed 4/15.
Hyundai Releases Teaser Sketch of Segment-Shattering Santa Cruz - Hyundai Newsroom

It will be interesting to see if this competes with where many of us have hoped Ford will position the Maverick, until I get hard specs on either vehicle I'm open to both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My local ford dealer also happens to be a Hyundai dealer. We will see where Hyundai decided to price the Santa Cruz... I have a suspicion that it will start in-line or just above the Tuscon which starts at $24,950. And while there has been a plethora of speculation about the Maverick price starting @ or around $20k, that was before 2021 (the year of inflation)... And I already know I'm not the target audience for this base model, as I'm not even interested in the 1.5L 3cylinder base engine that's been speculated for the Maverick so whatever its baseline price is - I'm already adding 3-4 thousand for the motor upgrade and AWD.

Also, used car prices are sky high now so I've got a solid equity position in my current vehicle. Would make for a really favorable trade this year. As the saying goes, time will tell. But you can't wait for ever. YOLO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My local ford dealer also happens to be a Hyundai dealer. We will see where Hyundai decided to price the Santa Cruz... I have a suspicion that it will start in-line or just above the Tuscon which starts at $24,950. And while there has been a plethora of speculation about the Maverick price starting @ or around $20k, that was before 2021 (the year of inflation)... And I already know I'm not the target audience for this base model, as I'm not even interested in the 1.5L 3cylinder base engine that's been speculated for the Maverick so whatever its baseline price is - I'm already adding 3-4 thousand for the motor upgrade and AWD.

Also, used car prices are sky high now so I've got a solid equity position in my current vehicle. Would make for a really favorable trade this year. As the saying goes, time will tell. But you can't wait for ever. YOLO.
I read that the Base Santa Cruz will not be even offered in Canada and in that case tthe Santa Cruz isn't even an option for me. Besides in my eyes the Maverick is more to my liking as a pickup truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts

It really is a seller's market for used cars right now. Everyone is holding on to their vehicles a bit longer now. A friend of mine has been in the hunt for a new car and it's slim pickings for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts